It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2001, 10:42 PM   #1

Veronica220 HB User
Post 44 yr. old-Missed period last 2 months...please give opinion

Hi. As I said, I am 44 years old, have had "regular" periods always.

Got my last one around June 20. Didn't get one in July, and haven't gotten one this month so far (August).

I bought a home pregnancy test a few days ago-did one in the middle of the day, next day did one with first morning sample - BOTH READ NEGATIVE.

The instructions in the test said that "if it's very early in the pregnancy, it may not read positive yet" - but it has been 2 months - I'm pretty sure that isn't considered too early.

SO - has anyone else experienced such a "lapse" at approx. my age, etc.?

Also as I said, I've always had regular periods, although for the past year or so they "come a little closer together" and last only about 4 days now.

ANY ADVICE or similar experiences would be VERY helpful to me at this point.

(I DO plan to see my doctor in about 2 weeks, and I also plan on getting another home pregnancy test this week, just to make sure.)

Thank you for your help.

The Following User Says Thank You to Veronica220 For This Useful Post:
ntina (04-18-2012)
Old 08-20-2001, 12:04 PM   #2

ANNE D HB User
Vernonica:
About 2 years ago when I was 42 I went 50 days!! I was
sure I was pregnant. I have been regular every since
until this month and I was a week early. I think at
our age this is just part and parcel of perimenopause.
Anne.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2001, 04:43 PM   #3

Veronica220 HB User
Whew...glad to hear that this isn't "abnormal"!

AND, thank you SO much for sharing your similar experience, I appreciate it.

I figured it probably was something along these lines, but this being the first time this has occurred, it kind of freaked me out!

(I, too, was thinking, oh no, I can't be preggers!)

So, I guess us "old ladies" just have to learn that these kinds of things may happen to us, us being in our advanced years! LOL

Again, thx for letting me breathe a sigh of relief.

Take care.

Old 08-21-2001, 12:44 AM   #4

karenortwein HB User
I will turn 45 next month. For the last 7 years I have been perimenopausal. For the last 2 years I have had a total of 4 periods--until this past May. Then I had the mother of all periods (or so I thought)--HEAVY, clotty and 10 days long. Now in August, 16 days SO FAR, and so heavy I can't leave the house--lots of pain. Just saw the GyN and had all kinds of tests and biopsy done and I am fine--just perimenopausal.

This is not so bad--after all, I only had 4 periods for 2 years!!!

Old 08-21-2001, 04:52 PM   #5

Veronica220 HB User
Whoa...sounds like one mother of a period!! LOL

I AM glad that you are alright though. Who knew that these would be the things we'd be going thru ALREADY??!! Sometimes I can't even believe that I AM 44 y.o. already! As they say...time flies...

I got up this morning and found that something is going on (and believe me...I have been checking!). It is very "light" at this point, but I'm guessing it is a "period" nonetheless - so, that's good (I guess).

I think something else that makes it so crazy for us is that we're used to not getting our period ONLY if we're pregnant, so that's what we (I did) might first assume. Because even though we're not "youngsters", we still CAN get pregnant, but at the same time we're reeling towards menopause...so it's even more strange.

I really appreciate you letting me know your experiences of this nature - it really helps me to know that others have been thru the same thing (although not necessarily a pleasant thing).

Take care, and I hope you keep the Tylenol handy at this time of need! LOL

Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2001, 02:18 PM   #6

GWEN D HB User
hi i am totally new at this message board stuff and you are the first person i haved written to on here--you could have been me writing, i am 45 years old, i just wanted to ask you---did you experience cramping or pain in your ovaries or breasts swelling and painful breats at all, i feel like i need to have my period, and after the 2 days i did go in july, i never felt how you normally feel all good and well just good after your period leaves, it still feels like im in waiting and getting more miserable by the minute, as well as nausea sometimes, dull aches pains down the front of my legs and i am not a cramping kind of person-- was just curious. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif thanks

[This message has been edited by GWEN D (edited 09-02-2001).]

Old 09-02-2001, 05:17 PM   #7

Veronica220 HB User
Hi.

During the time when I wasn't getting my period, I did feel a bit of slight cramping, kind of around the time of the month when I would have normally gotten my period. And I did sort of feel a bit of a twinge around my ovary area, too. Also, I did have breast tenderness, and some minor "twinges" there, for a few days off and on.

As I mentioned, I did finally have a period after not having one for two months. It started really light at first, then in about two days, I had what I'd call a regular four day period.

Some of the other ladies here on the board have said that even when they do get their period, it might be really light and only for about two to three days. And some have said that after not having one for sometime then getting it, they have a really heavy period that lasts for quite awhile.

As far as your leg cramps, I myself didn't experience this.

I guess at our age we'll be going thru this type of thing for awhile - much as I hate to admit it!

I guess next time you see your doctor, you should mention all the symptoms you had while not getting your period.

Hope I've helped a little.

Take care.

Old 09-04-2001, 03:41 PM   #8
(female)

Connor5 HB User
Lightbulb

Hi, I am 45 years old and your story sounds just like mine. When I was about 43 I started having irregular periods. Took a zillion (my husband says I exagerate) pregnancy tests. A friend suggest I go to the lab and get a hormone blood test. Sure enough I am in full blown menopause. My doc. said that I probably was in pre-menopause the last few years. Now I am on HRT and feel much better, except when I take the provera I bleed. Don't know what is going on. I suggest get the blood test.
Good luck

Old 09-04-2001, 05:14 PM   #9

Veronica220 HB User
OK, thanks very much for the info. I will inquire next time I visit my doctor.

So you're doing well on HRT? I've heard SO many things about it, both good and bad. Unless my doctor tells me there is some reason that I really should not take it, I figure I will. It seems to help a lot of women with not only menopause symptoms, but supposedly it "keeps you looking a little younger" too - which I am DEFINITELY all for!! LOL

Thanks again.

Old 09-05-2001, 02:52 AM   #10

lsm2000l HB User
I've been going through perimenopause for the last four years. I'm 49 now. I've been wanting to get it over with and in for the first few years I was getting my period every three months and when I got it it would last 3 weeks. Not very heavy but the spotting. I haven't had a period in 7 months and I thought it was finally over but last week I got it again and it only lasted a few days. Just spotting.

Old 09-05-2001, 08:10 PM   #11
(female)

deb416 HB User
Smile

I am 47 years old and haven't had a period for 4 months. Up until that time, I was as normal as normal could be. Never missed a single one. Now 4 in a row. Go figure. I was getting hot flashes so bad that I was put on aygestin. I was a little leary about starting hrt but it sure has helped. What is weird is that I do get symptoms at the time I should start, but nothing happens. Oh well. I can't really say that I mind not having periods anymore.

Old 11-06-2001, 06:29 PM   #12

cozy HB User
Wink

Such a miserable thing to deal with before & after.
I had my tubes tied after my 4rth child so when I missed a few (.)s I knew I wasn't PG or at best, I was rich Was Prei-M for 2 years, Post-M 1 year &
in the big M for 3 years now! I'm 48 now & I hear thats concidered young for the big M? Still suffer from the NONE STOP hot flashes tho
Can it get any better?? WHEW

Old 11-19-2001, 08:08 AM   #13

Elleigh HB User
oh yes, i can feel you. i am 43 and the past two years have been off and on. i have ALWAYS been regular and now i feel it. and your not alone.

Old 11-20-2001, 11:17 AM   #14

lsm2000l HB User
perimenopause. I went without a period for 8 months. I was hoping it was over but alas I got it again. It was light. Just some spotting. I guess if you go with out a period for a year you can pretty much count on it being over.

Closed Thread