It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
(female)

cocoasmom HB User
Exclamation Can a woman go through menopause twice?

I had a uterine ablation 9 years ago that ended my periods. Within 2 years I developed menopause symptoms and took Black Cohosh to control them for 2 years. The symptoms ceased for 2 years and then returned. Black Cohosh no longer worked. At first I refused HRT, but the symptoms got so severe I caved. I took HRT for 2 years, ending last October. In July I began bleeding, heavily, but it tapered off across 3 days. An ultrasound was normal, and so was a biopsy. However, my bloodtests showed I was not yet in menopause. How can this be? 9 years without a period, severe hotflashes and sweats, mood swings, etc When I asked my obgyn, she said I wouldl go through menopause again! Can a woman go through menopause twice? Can a cycle restart 9 years after ablation?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Can a woman go through menopause twice?

in theory, you can still get pregnant after uterine ablation (although it can be dangerous and is defo not recommended), so the procedure is not like a hysterectomy where everything is removed, and it is done to specifically stop, or greatly reduce, heavy periods which are causing a problem. although it stops your periods, it doesn't put you into menopause and you still have your ovaries.
what you are experiencing now is probably perimenopause, the lead-up to full menopause, and this is why you're getting all the symptoms. you probably need to do a bit of research to fully understand what's going on in your body right now, or ask your doctor to explain it better than i can

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 05:57 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

When you still have your ovaries and stop HRT, you can have menopausal symptoms for up to 3 years according to my doctor. I've talked with her about stopping my HRT and that's what she told me. And as long as you have your ovaries, you could theoretically still have bleeding.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
(female)

saomab HB User

I know this is an old post, but I am curious about this question as well. The difference with me is that I had a complete emergency hysterectomy over 15 yrs ago. I went through rough menopause for about 10 years after. Now, I seem to be having the symptoms again. So, yeah, I would like to know if a woman can go through menopause twice too

Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

A uterine ablation has nothing to do with removing the uterus or the ovaries and it is the ovaries that controls menopause symptoms. So you never went through menopause to begin with and your ablation was just scraping away the inside of your uterus and something now is causing the bleeding. I think you are either misunderstanding what the doctor did to you or you need to go see someone else because none of this is making any sense.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #6
(female)

saomab HB User

annd unlike cocoasmom, I had a complete hysterectomy, ovaries and all. I did go through menopause at that time, even the doctor said so. So, my question on whether a woman can go through menopause twice is still valid and not a misunderstanding.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Theorectically speaking, one could continue to have symptoms for the rest of one's life. I know women who have stopped HRT after many years and then began having symptoms to such an extent that they went back on HRT. My mother was still on Premarin when she died at 83. So I would imagine that some people's systems never adjust. Perhaps your gyno could give you more scientific information.

Also, keep in mind that other conditions have symptoms similar to menopausal ones. Perhaps you need a complete physical?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:31 PM   #8
(female)

ronatravel HB User

I also seem to be going thru menopause for a 2nd time. I started at 41 and went thru the pause for 4 years or so. Now at 53 I am getting hot flashes and jumpy mood swings too. Is it possible to be going thru menopause again or is this going to be my aging process?

Closed Thread