It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
(female)

Lyndi HB User
Exclamation Hot flashes and Prempro

I just joined this board because of some upcoming surgery I wanted to look into. But while I was looking, I had a big hot flash and decided to look to see what others are doing. I am 61 and have had hot flashes since I was 42 (early menopause). I took Prempro for 12 years (stopping periodically to see if the hot flashes had stopped, which they hadn't). Then the Women's Initiative scared me and I stopped for 3 1/2 years. During that time I had 20-30 hot flashes every day (and night). They were the kind that feels like an internal furnace that is ready to explode. After torture for 3 1/2 years, I finally went back on Prempro because of a trip to London. But my old dose no longer worked, so I had to take two pills a day to get most of the hot flashes to stop. After my trip, I lowered the dose VERY slowly until I was on the lowest Prempro dose (.3mg). And I was able to keep it to 1-2 hot flashes a day. However, I wanted to take an even lower dose. But they don't make one. So 8 months ago I started taking 1 pill every 36 hours. I now have about 7-10 hotflashes a day (including 1 in the middle of the night). They aren't the horrible internal furnace hot flashes. But they make me sweat and are uncomfortable. My doctor also mentioned that 5% of all women have them forever. I, too, worry I am one. Interestingly, my FSH, estrodial, etc. levels are still in the menopause range even when I take the Prempro. So I think my natural level of estrogen is at zero....

I would much rather take a lower dose of the Prempro than use this 36 hour situation. Unfortunately the patch doesn't give the progesterine, which I still need if I take estrogen. Does anyone know of a better solution than the 36 hour dosing that I'm using? Has anyone tried pill splitting? I haven't done that since they are enteric coated pills. So I figured they shouldn't be opened up at one end.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-10-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread