It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2002, 02:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Post Period every three weeks?

Is this a sign of menopause? Last month I had a period three weeks to the day of my last one and now this month, I'm not due for another eight days and I'm starting to spot already. Is it like an early drop in progesterone or something like that?

Pretty sure I ovulated on day 14, so it should be 14 days from that, right?

I'm not on hormones and just turned 47 (OUCH!)

My periods were always irregular for years, even when having my kids, and suddenly the past few years I've been like clockwork, every 28 or 29 days. Now this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-02-2002, 06:44 PM   #2

DottieMae HB User
Sounds like what just happened to me, too. Like you, I had irregular cycles for my entire life ... varied between 19 to 38 days sometimes!!! I had eight children, yet my unpredictable cycles never became regular until the last few years. When I was 42, my ob/gyn put me on low estrogen bc pills as a method of birth control ... stayed on them for 5 years or so ... but the cycles stayed regular even after stopping the pill. Now that I'm 50, I'm not really suprised that I'm finally going into perimenopause ... but having cycles that now vary from 22 to 25 days is doing more than just affecting my cycles. This switch has been accompanied by other symptoms, too. The worst is the anxiety and insomnia ... which also triggered my IBS condition, so now I suffer from nausea and stomach discomfort at an unbearable level some days. My hot flashes and sweats are mild compared to what I've heard from other women, though. Are you having any other symptoms that seem to be linked to the change in your cycle?

My doctor told me that cycles coming closer together is what usually happens to most women, until one month you might skip one altogether. I think she explained that it means we're still producing estrogen but have had a drop in progesterone, as you mentioned. She put me on the low estrogen bc pill again, because that's what she's doing for herself at this stage ... Mircette is the one she's giving me. She said I could do a progesterone cream instead, but really liked the benefits of the pill. I did some checking, to see how Mircette stacked up against the other pills out there, and it seems to be the lowest in estrogen. She says it'll provide me with the progesterone that I need to even me out, and the estrogen will be good as protection from future osteoporosis. I haven't taken it yet, but I guess I'll try them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2002, 09:59 PM   #3
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Dianek, this is exactly what happened to me when my thyroid was not working properly. I had been regular for years, then suddenly was having 2 periods a month. I had a paps test and biopsy, and thyroid test. Everything came out fine, except my thyroid levels were borderline. I was not treated for the borderline thyroid levels at that time. I was told my extra periods could be caused by stress, menopause etc. 6 months later, with other symptoms slowly showing up and getting severe, I asked to have it checked again and found it was not working at all. I had full blown hypothyroidism. So, I would suggest to any woman who has period problems to have a thyroid test right away, because I have found that this is a very common problem that is often overlooked. Good luck to you

Old 09-06-2002, 06:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Interesting that you mention the thyroid. I have an enlarged thyroid plus a nodule that was biopsied not long ago and am calling today to find out the results. Scared stiff, but hoping for the best. Hopefully, it will be benign and I can get to the bottom of this thyroid mystery. TSH level came back normal. Not sure if I had the antibody test done though, have to ask about that too.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 09-06-2002, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran

Kamden HB User
Dianek, I hope you get good news today. Also, did the doctor tell you the TSH was normal? I was told mine was slightly borderline, then it was brushed aside as to that being the reason for my extra periods. I would suggest going to the thyroid message board here and reading up all you can in the information archives. Remember, this was my first symptom of going hypo.

Old 09-06-2002, 06:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Dianek HB User
Yes, I'm reading the Thyroid message board as well and anything else I can find.

Unfortunately, I still don't know the results of my biopsy. Receptionist said she'd get back to me but didn't this afternoon. So all I can fathom is that my doctor hasn't received the report yet or is working on getting me hooked up with a surgeon to get this nodule out of my neck. Either way, I'd have appreciated a call to let me know. Oh well, still holding out the hope that "no news is good news". I could have called the office again before 5pm but didn't. Figured I may as well enjoy my Friday night and weekend while I can. Plus, if they knew anything, I'm sure she'd call as when this all began with ultrasound; nuclear scan; my doctor called me within hours to tell me I needed further testing. Hope that this lump is no big deal and that's why I've not heard.

My TSH was done by my gynecologist and came back 2.2 which fell into the normal range for that lab.

I'll keep you posted on any new developments with my thyroid trauma. Just wish it were over.

Closed Thread