It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2003, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

Beth Ann HB User
Question progesterone cream users: Please read

Hello everyone. I have been singing the praises of progesterone cream for a while on these boards. I've had nightsweats for over 5 years now, and progesterone cream really helped to stop them. But, now, it seems like it isn't working. I stop using the cream when I get my period, for the recommended 12 days. (I still have a regular period.) I had been staying dry for soooo long, and now I'm sweating again, especially when I am off the cream. Do any of you sweat while you are off the cream? This is really making me miserable. I am losing sleep, once again, and just feel plain awful. I have had my hormones tested, and my thyroid, and my doctor says I'm as healthy as a horse. I have even upped my dosage of the cream, but it's just not working like it was before. (I was only using 1/8 tsp. 2X a day, and am using 1/4 now).
Please help.

Old 03-11-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
I was using the progesterone cream and feeling great. then i stopped it.....it was bringing my periods in close together. Now i am back on it. I was using 1/4 teap. 2x a day. It doesn't seem to be working for me anymore. I have even tired increasing the amount i use .....i am now using 1/2 teasp. 2 x a day. Don't feel as good as i did before either..bride527

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2003, 01:28 PM   #3

SHEEBE HB User
Wink

I TOO HAVE USED THE PREST. CREAM FOR 3 YEARS & THEN IT WASN'T AS EFFECTIVE. I FOUND OUT THAT JUST LIKE OTHER MEDICINES, YOUR BODY CAN BECOME IMMUNE. HAPPENED TO ME ON PREMARIN ALSO AFTER 15 YEARS MY BODY JUST OBSORBED IT. SO I TRIED A DIFFERENT "BRAND" OF THE CREAM & MY GYNO PUT ME ON VIVELLE DOT AND ALL IS PRETTY WELL NORMAL AGAIN....

Old 04-02-2003, 02:43 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kat721 HB User
I've had a hysterectomy including ovaries.
I stay away from progesterone anything.
I was on the vivelle dot. I liked it.
I only had to change because the insurance doesn't pay for the dose I need correctly.
I've been switched to estrace and that's fine too.
Right after my hysterectomy I went hormone replacement free because I had one ovary left.
My surgically induced hormone problems were fast and furious even with one ovary, which probably was sleeping after the surgery.
I took a combination SSRI ans Tricyclic antidepressant
for hot flashes and the whole unpleasant transitional process and it worked like a charm.
I just now stopped one of the meds. I probably took the stuff for all of 10 months.
I had the remaining ovary removed a couple of months ago. I'm not having near the problems I had in the beginning when the first surgery was done.
My hormone replacement is closely monitored by blood level due to my family history of breast cancer.
With estrogen they try to keep the levels well regulated to support brain and bone function.
That comes out to a minimal dose that the doctor decides upon for ones specific chemistry.
With hormones, I have discovered that it comes down to dose and blood levels.
Too much, you have problems. Too little, you have problems.
kat

Old 04-15-2003, 09:56 PM   #5

giupset HB User
Question

I always thought that progesterone makes one depressed and that taking this everyday would not be a good idea - remember those PMS days when you were moody? An SSRI may help.

Old 04-22-2003, 01:22 PM   #6
(female)

Beth Ann HB User
Smile

Hello ladies,
Just wanted to give you all an update. I have switched brands (of progesterone cream), and that has done the trick. I was using Phytoprolief by Arbonne, and switched to ProGest by Emerita. I love the ProGest! Haven't had night sweats for a solid month, except for the one night that I forgot to use my cream before bed.

Old 05-22-2003, 03:30 PM   #7

Nice lady HB User
Question

Early menopause,
I'm 36 and have just been informed that I'm in early menopause. I was on Estracombi (HRT) for 3 months but it didn't suit. Now I'm on Fosomax, I take 70mg tablet once a week. I am just keen to find out if anyone else was put on this and how are you getting on.

Old 06-03-2003, 12:29 PM   #8

potato59 HB User
Smile

Beth Ann
I too have been using the progesterone cream by emerita and have had excellent results with it...I just wish i can gain some weight, but progesterone stabizes blood sugar levels which is good but in my case, i sure need the weight...

Closed Thread