It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2003, 09:51 PM   #1

l0v2talk HB User
Question Lupron Injections

Hi all, I am new here. I am looking for information and advice on Lupron Injections. Also input from others that have had to do this for the same reason I am being told I need to do these.

I am 34yrs old. I had a tubaligation back in 1995. Since then, I have had DNC's done to try and help rid the pain I have when I start my cycles. I get cramps so bad I pass out. So just this year my doc found that my left tube and ovary have twisted around and connected to my lower bowel. I went to a reproductive surgeon that detached and removed them. In this he found endometriosis. My doc stated if I continued to have these pains we would have to do something else. Well now my cramps are lasting up to 3 days and my periods are lasting longer. So this is when my Gyno decided to do the Lupron Injections. I have not started them yet, I am waiting to start my cycle again. I have to go on my first day I start to get the injection. But I have read terrible stories on this and have heard bad things. Can anyone help me out here with experience of use or knowledge of this drug? I am scared and just dont understand the difference of this or a hysterectomy? HELP ME PLEASE

Old 05-29-2003, 05:48 PM   #2

Riceaholic HB User
hi,
several yrs ago i took the lupron inj. they stop your periods and you are like a menopausal woman.. i did not like it not only because of the hot flashes, but the weight gain. it seemed to be explosive for me. my hips and butt seemed to just blow up.. I HATED IT.. i of course had endo and a cyst on one ovary.. the shots helped for a couple of years but it came back. i had to start on the pill(don't remember which one) it was a mild one... i no longer have the cyst nor endo... please though try it, it may help you... and while you are at it, try to stay away from all caffeine and red meats and refined sugar.. hope this helps... rice

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2003, 05:08 PM   #3

smalltowngirlinOH HB User
Lightbulb

I had my tubes tied when I was 21 in Nov. of 2001. When my period came in Dec. it was more painful than I could of imagined. From there it took me almost 11 1/2 months to finally be diagnosed with endomitriosis, in my tubes, above where the doc tied them off. I was bleeding for weeks at a time, I'd have to change my pants every hour if I didn't change my tampon soon enough. So I was put on the Lupron shot. I noticed after 2 months that I was getting hot flashes and night sweats, due to being forced into early menopause. I personally think it's pretty effective. My pain did decrease after a while, and I had hope that I woudn't need to have a hysterectomy. But in my case, the Lupron didn't work in the long run because my endomitriosis wasn't diagnosed soon enough. So, 3 weeks after my 23rd birthday, in Jan of this year, I had a total hysterectomy. Ovaries and all. I will tell you in all honesty, I did gain some weight when the Lupron was in full swing. I think that was one of the worst parts of it, but I'd rather gain weight than be in as much pain as I was in. I hope I could help you by sharing my experience with you, and maybe give you a light at the end of the scary tunnel I know it can be. And, I have to thank you for sharing your feelings. I don't quite feel as alone knowing that I'm not the only one out there. I hope everything goes well for you and feel free to ask me anything about this. I'd be more than happy to lend an ear.

Old 06-03-2003, 07:34 AM   #4
Inactive

Karla HB User
I have endo to. I was diagnosed after my right overy contorted and twisted around itself. I had to have my right overy removed. I did lupron for 6 months. I gained 50 pounds and my hair started falling out. My period stopped for 6 months and I had no pain. However, the lupron doesn't remove the endo or anything like that so the endo is still there when you come off the lupron. I had long painfull periods return immediatly off of the lupron. So my only choice was a hysterectomy. I wish I would have had it done sooner. Life has been great these last 2 years since the hysterectomy.

Old 06-21-2003, 05:36 PM   #5

Sunnye77 HB User
I had the lupron shot ten years ago for endometiosis. It helped for a couple yrs and it came back. The menopause symptoms stunk. Well, at about 38 3 yrs after the shot I went into peer menopause and at 45 I feel like, well just awful. Hot flashes night sweats and all the rest that goes with it, I do believe that shot has made me start this earlier that i would have, Plus the endomitriosis never really got better for long, Good luck

Old 06-29-2003, 12:04 AM   #6
Inactive

Pippin31 HB User
Hi
I can tell you about Lupron. I was on it for 2 ˝ straight years at almost twice the dose!! It did make my pain go away. However, my symptoms included hair loss, weight gain, hot flashes, mood swings, sleeplessness and memory loss. I am just now finding out that some of the symptoms may be permanent. I have posted this in the infertility chat room and women’s health room. You can take a look there, I pasted the article on those boards. Good luck with the Lupron. I wont tell you not to take it because it did give me 2 years without pelvic pain, and believe me I wanted to die from the pain. However, you have to decide if the side effects are worth it to you.

Old 06-29-2003, 04:41 PM   #7

red_princess HB User
Unhappy

hello, I to had a bad experience with Lupron injections, the side effects were just to much for me to handle and the fact that i was getting very little relief from them. I ended up having a hysterectomy. I hope you find some relief if you end up getting the injections.

------------------
God Bless, Char

Closed Thread