It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2003, 09:19 PM   #1

Momof6 HB User
Question Menopause and vision changes

Hi Everyone,

I've been in meno for almost 9 years due to chemo/radiation for non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced vision changes, specifically with contact lenses and glasses, due to meno. I had this experience when I was pregnant with my last child, so I know it can be hormone-related. What's happening now is that periodically, literally overnight, I'll feel like I have the wrong prescription with my contacts/glasses. It can last from several days to a week or so. I feel off-balance, dizzy, almost like my vision's overcorrected. Then it goes back to "normal". Sometimes it's happened when I've adjusted my hormone dosage, or added a vaginal estrogen cream. This last time it occurred when I added evening primrose oil to the mix. I currently take Tri-est 2.5 mg, Prometrium 200 mg, both once a day, plus a dab of Testosterone gel 2%. I tend to be ultra sensitive to medication. Anyone else have this experience? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-21-2003, 04:56 PM   #2

maddux417 HB User
I don't know about flucuating vision problems being a symptom of meno, but (and don't freak out, cause it's probably not) but I have a friend with M.S. who had those kinds of vision issues. It may sound cliche' but mention this symptom to your doc.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 05:09 AM   #3

chelespiglets HB User
I have heard that vision can change during meno.

I had a hyst and mine is much diff then it was before, and when I have asked this same question on that board I had tons of ladies say that it is very common.

Hope this helps you to understand
Blessings, Chele'

------------------
Good Bless our Troops

Old 07-22-2003, 07:53 AM   #4

djsrey HB User
That happens to me all the time now. And I was tested for MS because I had tingling hands/feet. But the test was negative, as well as all the other tests I had for every horrible disease I could imagine. In fact, I was in better that normal health in every way, according to the tests. Except I felt lousy.
So I don't worry so much about the vision thing. It is irritating, but it comes and goes.
I hope it resolves once my body finishes this change (And I pray it's soon!)

Old 07-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #5

Momof6 HB User
Thanks guys for your quick response. I actually did freak a little at the first reply - I did a search on ms and who hasn't felt one or more of those symptoms at some point in their life? But the fact that I experienced this when I was pregnant made me feel it is hormone-related and in fact I found a web site about surgical menopause that says lower estrogen levels can actually change the shape of your eyeball, thus changing your correction needs if you wear contacts/glasses. My next question is, when you go through an early meno due to chemo (I was 42) and then you reach the age where it normally occurs (now 51), can your body go through a second meno? I know that younger women who have chemo go through meno but can eventually regain ovarian function and periods. I feel like my ovaries are trying to rise up and say, "we're not done yet!!" Even though I'm on hormones, at times I feel like things are bouncing around - thus the eye changes, plus mood swings. Never a dull moment, huh??!!

Closed Thread