It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003, 12:18 PM   #1

coacheswife HB User
Post Irregular Bleeding Perimenapause??????????

I am 42 years old, for about 1 1/2 years i have had irregular periods. By that I mean I could have them 36 days apart or 17 days apart which was very unusal for me. My gyn said it was starting menopause. For the past 3 months I have bleed every 17 - 19 days so he put me on the Birth Control pill to regulate my periods and go from there. He did a pap smear and everything came back normal. He said when i go back in September he may have to do a D & C. Could the BC pills cause the bleeding inbetween periods? It is a bright red spotting. Not like period bleeding.

Anyone else bleed too much going through perimenopause?

I am concerned.

Old 06-25-2003, 05:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
I was going to post something very similiar to your post.

I turned 53 yesterday. Back in April I went to Dr. because I had all the symptoms of peri. Well I'm definately there, but I still was having what he called "normal" periods. Well I had a 2 periods in January, nothing in February, a light one in March nothing in April or May. June rolls around and so far I've had 2 15 days appart!!!

Now he suggested I have an internal sonogram to rule out endomi.........something to do with the wall of the uterus.

Personally I think this is all part of the package.

But I was wondering if anyone else out there who is in Menopause is haveing irregular periods.

[This message has been edited by MrsLinda (edited 06-25-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-25-2003, 08:06 AM   #3
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Almost everyone in perimenopause has irregular periods. You never know when they are coming or how long they will last. You doc is merely looking out for health problems by suggesting to check for endometriosis. Although irregular periods is part of the deal with menopause it is still not something that should be left unchecked if you start getting to many periods to close together. Both posters seem to have excellent docs who are looking out for their entire physical which is good.

Old 06-25-2003, 11:29 AM   #4
(female)

Cowspots HB User
I started perimenopause about 5 yrs ago. My bleeding was so out of control with lots and lots of blood clots that my DR put me on the birth control pill. He tried several things to control and/or stop the bleeding, nothing worked! I felt like I was dying! I also had 2 endometrial biopsies, everything came out normal. I'll stay on the pill until I'm 50 (another year). I'll go off it at that time and see what happens. Hopefully things will be better. I agree that bleeding is normal but not the way I was! I became anemic very quickly!

Good luck to anyone going thru this. And to those of you that have no symptoms and barely know it happened, congratulations!!!

Cowspots

Old 06-25-2003, 12:52 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
Thank you mlgable and Cowspots for your input! I guess I really need to educate myself more on the topic!! For some strange reason I was under the impression that irregular periods merely ment "skipped months". Not two times in a month!

I will definately keep track of my periods and if I see that they are coming too close, definately discuss this with my doctor.

Again thanks for the information.

[This message has been edited by MrsLinda (edited 06-25-2003).]

Old 06-26-2003, 09:33 AM   #6
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Irregular periods can be a symptom of a thyroid disorder. Eating soy can sometimes bring on menstrual problems. You might want to look into these two things. I started getting periods 2 times a month every other month. It was during a period that I ate alot of soy. Soy can supress thyroid function. I also was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. You may want to look up the symptoms to see if you have any.

Old 06-26-2003, 04:45 PM   #7

MrsKramden HB User
GirlyGirly makes a great point. When my gynecoogist dioagnosed me in peri menopause, the one thing he said was to stay away from soy as it mimics estrogen and can have some of the same effects of taking estrogen. I ate most of the soy back in my twenties, but now I stay clear of it.(Think it's best to do so for myself).

Old 06-26-2003, 04:54 PM   #8

MrsKramden HB User
GirlyGirly makes a great point. When my gynecoogist dioagnosed me in peri menopause, the one thing he said was to stay away from soy as it mimics estrogen and can have some of the same effects of taking estrogen. I ate most of the soy back in my twenties, but now I stay clear of it.(Think it's best to do so for myself).

Old 06-27-2003, 03:29 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

MrsLinda HB User
When I went to the GYN one of the things he did test was the thyroid and that came back normal.
Never thought about the soy. I'll keep that in mind.

I will definately keep an eye on my cycles. I have a chart that I keep anyway that I'll bring to the Dr.s next visit. However, if they continue this close I will go and see him sooner.

Old 06-28-2003, 05:15 AM   #10
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
Mrs. Linda

My thyroid tested normal too, and guess what??I have a thyroid problem. You need to see what your TSH was as the lab ranges have changed this March. They were .05-5.5 to .03-3.0. Did you have the antibodies test? Did you have the full thyroid panel? You might want to find out.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:16 PM   #11

kitty177 HB User
Hi all I am new to this post. I was diagnosed as peri menapausal when I was 39, one year ago after an operation for cervical erosion. I stopped the pill to have a baby and the hot flushes started and i put on one stone in weight almost overnight.

Can any one tell me if this surgery could have started the perimenapause as i never had any symptoms before then?

I now have no period for 2 months then bleed the whole month through from spotting to very heavy and never with any warning. They are also only 3-5 days apart. My GP has not been very good at all and appears to be perplexed and confused by the whole thing. I do not want to take any medication. Any advice would be wellcome.

kitty177

Old 07-29-2003, 03:49 PM   #12

~Ginger~ HB User
Question

Kitty, I am curious. Did you give birth? or get pregnant? You didn't finish that part of your story...

I'm 42 and starting peri (with hot flashes, weight gain, irregular periods) and I have never had a baby.
I think it's probably too late for me, but sometimes I wonder if my body could still handle it? I would very much like to have one little booger this lifetime--if I ever met the right guy...

Old 07-29-2003, 06:10 PM   #13

susiejb HB User
Angry

I just came off an 18-day bright-red, clotty period (not to gross everyone out) and felt like dying. I didn't think it would ever end. My doctor prescribed me the pill (which I have never been able to take due to bloating, break-thru, depression, etc)& told me to double up on them for 5 days and finish out the one pack. The bleeding has stopped, and I have an appointment to see him Aug 13th.

A couple female friends have told me it's probably fibroids, which my mother had, forcing her to undergo a hysterectomy at about 50. Yes, now I'm scared. I'm 44 & my periods have been a little irregular the past year or so, but nothing like this. I'm thinking it may have been caused by my trying an herb called Vitex (chastetree berry), which I began taking last month because it's supposed to help reduce cramps and bleeding. Could this have had an opposite effect on me? Needless to say, I quit taking the herb. Sometimes I really hate being a woman.

Old 07-30-2003, 04:13 PM   #14

Perrianne HB User
I'm 45, will be 46 in a couple of months; this is my third year into perimenopause. My cycles are closer together, and irregular. The bloating sometimes seems to come sooner and last longer. Guess that falls under weight gain. Sometimes the PMS is worse than usual, and things really get under my skin more so than usual.

I wish that when women get of a certain age, the change could just happen overnight, instead of taking so long!

Hope this helps.

Old 07-31-2003, 11:55 AM   #15

kitty177 HB User
Hi Ginger, No I did not give birth but I had a miscarriage in october 2002. I am now on the waiting list for egg share.

Closed Thread