It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2003, 12:04 PM   #1

parkermom HB User
Post Cortisone shot-bleeding??

I had a shot of cortisone in my upper shoulder 2 days before I started vaginal bleeding...a friend of mine who had some vaginal bleeding (she is also post-menopause) was asked this question by the nurse, if she had a cortisone shot recently..anyone heard of this?

Old 08-14-2003, 04:53 PM   #2
(female)

madison55 HB User
Lightbulb

Hi Parkermom: Yes! Yes! Yes! I could hardly believe it when I read you post. If you've been following this board for the past few weeks, you will have seen some of my posts regarding some unusual cramping and spotting that I have been having. Although I am 48 and perimenopausal, I have never had anything like this. When did it start? Right after I started getting cortisone injections in my outer thighs due to hip bursitis and arthritis. This most recent round of cramping and spotting began 2 days after a cortisone injection directly into both of my hip joints for the arthritis. I had wondered to myself if these cortisone injections had anything to do with the beginning of my problems. But I thought it was too far out to even consider. If you have anymore information on this, please, please share it with me.
Madison55

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2003, 06:52 AM   #3

parkermom HB User
I'm 49 and post-menopause. I havent had a period in 3 yrs. I was feeling very bloated about days before and my breasts were tender (which of course I thought was weird since I'm post menopausal). I had some vaginal discharge which brought me to my obgyn. She took a sample and said I had a combination yeast infection and a bacterial thing going on. She prescribed a vaginal cream and I took a Diflucan. That started on a Friday. On Monday, I had really bad bursitis in my arm and my doctor gave me a cortisone injection near my shoulder. (it was my first one...never had one before and never bled before). Two days later I started what seemed like a period. Lasted just as long. I did not mention this to my obgyn (thought it has nothing to do with it). I had a vaginal ultrasound and a biopsy done last Friday. I'm a wreck.

Old 08-15-2003, 06:54 AM   #4

parkermom HB User
....I meant to also say that a friend of mine who is also post menopausal had some slight bleeding (but did not have a shot) and turned out o.k., but the nurse asked her if she had had a cortisone shot recently.

Old 08-17-2003, 06:57 PM   #5

parkermom HB User
well, my doctor called me this evening with good news! The biopsy was NOT cancerous...I feel like the world has been lifted off my shoulders!! I did mention to her about the cortisone shot...she thought that was worth looking into. If I have more bleeding, they will probably perform a D&C...maybe polyps in there that dont show up on the ultrasound

Old 08-17-2003, 07:08 PM   #6
(female)

madison55 HB User
Parkermom: Great news. I know how you feel. I went through that last Nov. and I was a wreck for almost a week of waiting. My test came back OK too. But still, this summer I have been spotting and cramping with lots of lower abdominal pain. I plan to call my gyn this week and ask her what to do next. She wanted to another ultrasound AFTER my period but it has never arrived yet. She already said if I had more spotting we would do D&C to take a look. Keep in touch.
Madison

Old 08-18-2003, 08:47 AM   #7

parkermom HB User
I think (to the best of my knowledge) what they will do, is to do a D&C by hysteroscopy (a very thin device which enables them to see everything in the uterus) and perform a D&C. My doctor told me to keep an eye on it and if I bleed again, to give her a call and will proably do a D&C. As you probably did, you piece it all together and try to figure out why the bleeding...I had fluid build up and bloating 2 weeks before I found out I had the yeast and bacterialthing going on and attributed the bleeding to that...until I heard about the cortisone shot. She told me that she was going to look into that...very interesting..let me know how you make out...take care

Cynthia

Old 08-18-2003, 06:53 PM   #8
(female)

madison55 HB User
Cynthia,
I took this information from a web site that I found. The address is: [DELETED]

Are there any side-effects?
Side-effects are very unlikely. Very occasionally people notice a flare in their joint pain within the first 24 hours after an injection. This usually settles spontaneously over the next couple of days. Very rarely infection might be introduced into the joint at the time of an injection and so if the joint becomes more painful and hot then you should consult your doctor immediately.

Occasionally with peri-articular injections some thinning or loss of colour of the skin may occur at the injection site. Local steroid injections may sometimes interfere with the menstrual cycle.

This is the only site so far that I have been able to find that actually listed interference with menstrual cycle as a side effect of cortisone shots.

I called my gyn today, left the necessary message and so far, she has not returned my call. I KNOW that something is going on. I feel like I have a bowling ball in my lower abdomin and I am miserable. Starting to get bladder and bowel pressure too. I desperately hope that I can get this resolved soon. I am a teacher and school is just starting here. I hate to start the year feeling bad and having to miss days because of doctor appointments.

[This message has been edited by madison55 (edited 08-18-2003).]

Last edited by mod-anon; 07-24-2006 at 02:38 AM.

Old 08-19-2003, 07:53 AM   #9

parkermom HB User
Madison,
Thanks so much for the cortisone info....! I think what you may have is a growing fibroid. I've read that they can grow pretty large...if it feels that big, the ultrasound should pick it up...insist on having one...I've learned with some doctors that you have to be pro-active and be very persistent. Did you say you had one last November? Well, it's been going on 9 months since then and I would have one...please let me know what your doctor plans on doing. take care....I'm sure you will be fine

Cynthia

Old 08-19-2003, 04:54 PM   #10
(female)

madison55 HB User
Cynthia,
My gyn mentioned the possibility of a fibroid the last time that I saw her. Her office called me back this morning. I have an appointment with her Wed. afternoon. I'm anxious to hear what she says (and a little scared too). I'll let you know. Take care.
Madison

Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 PM   #11
(female)

madison55 HB User
HI Cynthia,
Went to gyn Wed. afternoon. She did another ultrasound. She said she saw "something" that was probably a fibroid or polyp ... but she couldn't be sure. She did an endometrial biopsy last Nov. that came back OK. Now, she wants to do a hysteroscopy. She said it's the only way that she can rule out everything else. She said that endometrial biopsy will pick up 95% of cancers... but that she just can't be sure what she is seeing without taking a look.
I have to call back and schedule it. I was told that they probably could not schedule me until the week after Labor Day at the earliest. So, looks like it's wait and worry again. I feel slightly better knowing the the previous biopsy came back OK. That's actually the only thing that is giving me any peace of mind at all right now. I'll keep you posted. Hope things are going well for you.
Madison

Old 08-22-2003, 07:20 PM   #12
(female)

madison55 HB User
Cynthia,
I forgot to tell you that my gyn said that she had never heard of any connection between cortisone injections and menstrual irregularities. I ask her specifically.
Madison

Old 08-24-2003, 01:42 PM   #13

parkermom HB User
Madison,
thank you for your posts. I am sure that since your last biopsy done last NOvember was fine, you will be fine. I bet you it is a polyp or fibroid. I still think it is very interesting about this cortisone shot and irregular bleeding. I had the shot in my shoulder...I have had osteoarthritis in my left hand for 2-3 years now and I think it is time for a shot. To ease the pain is the main reason, but I would be extremely interested if I started vaginal bleeding a couple of days afterwards...I might set up and appt. this week or in the near future. Best of luck with your hysteroscopy. I will most likely have to have the same done. It still feels a little weird sometimes...can't explain it...you know how your body is and when something isn't quite normal. I'm sure everything will turn out fine with you...I know what it's like to worry...but it doesnt seem like you have a lot to worry about...I'll be in touch...take care

Cynthia

Old 08-24-2003, 01:43 PM   #14

parkermom HB User
Madison,
thank you for your posts. I am sure that since your last biopsy done last NOvember was fine, you will be fine. I bet you it is a polyp or fibroid. I still think it is very interesting about this cortisone shot and irregular bleeding. I had the shot in my shoulder...I have had osteoarthritis in my left hand for 2-3 years now and I think it is time for a shot. To ease the pain is the main reason, but I would be extremely interested if I started vaginal bleeding a couple of days afterwards...I might set up and appt. this week or in the near future. Best of luck with your hysteroscopy. I will most likely have to have the same done. It still feels a little weird sometimes...can't explain it...you know how your body is and when something isn't quite normal. I'm sure everything will turn out fine with you...I know what it's like to worry...but it doesnt seem like you have a lot to worry about...I'll be in touch...take care

Cynthia

Old 01-05-2004, 06:58 AM   #15

shasha74 HB User
Re: Cortisone shot-bleeding??

I am not post menopausal, I am 29, but I took a cortisone shot the first week of Nov and about 2 days later, I started my period and then spotting. It didn't stop until Christmas day. I went to my doctor and was put on 10 days of provera, but it didn't work. I had the shot in my hip and from the beginning I felt really weird with lower abdominal pains. It seems that those shots not only works on the pain, they affect the rest of your body also.

Closed Thread