It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Unhappy Feelings of doom and gloom

How many of you experience these feelings and how do you deal with them? I have been experiencing doom feelings for about a year now and I am getting tired of living ( if that's what you want to call it) my life this way. I don't want to take drugs because I know that I need to get on the other side of this. I just don't know how. On top of this both of my sons left for college a month ago so I am experiencing the "empty nest syndrome." I wake up in the morning and wonder what is going to do me in today. Will it be a heart attack because of the palpatations or aches and pains in my left arm. Or, maybe it will be a stroke with paralysis because everything in my body aches. Perhaps it will be kidney/bladder cancer because of my messed up urinary tract. On the other hand, maybe it will be a brain tumor because I am feeling dizzy and weak. On and on it goes until I have used up all my energy and the day has ended. I am not one to sit around. I try to walk about 4 miles a day, but at the end of the day I am not happy because I worry about all these diseases. This has only been since my periods became erratic and the hot sweats started. Therefore, I came to the conclusion that the must be perimenopause related. I hope that I can get past this because I would like to enjoy the rest of my life. If you can help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:07 AM   #2

HoosierBj HB User
Boy, do you have company!
Ex. I was in Chicago for a play on 9/11 of all days. I was convinced that Navy Pier would be THE target, or that my bus would roll over on the toll road.
And, trust me, I'm not suicidal at all, but I'm VERY fatalistic. Like I'm "ready to go" even if that's tomorrow.
Right down to not seeing the point of me taking Lipitor for cholesterol - I mean, hey, if I'm meant to have clogged arteries and a heart attack so be it!!!

The thing is, on the other level I know just how bizarre these thoughts are, its not like it's out of depression (which I WOULD recognize) but still have that "Doom & Gloom" as you so aptly put it.

I don't tell many people about it either, although a few of those doom/gloom thoughts do get out. Everyone just tries to jolly me out of it. I think that time (and getting past all this peri/menopausal stuff) will help more!

Thanks! Maybe it's not all me!

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/alien.gif !!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2003, 07:10 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Please read up on the nutrients needed for women during menopause and peri-menopause. They will help you belive me. I feel at times the way that you do but not as often as you. I worry about my health too every day. I take alot of supplements. Omega 3 fatty acids, B-Complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Flaxseed, Oil of evening primrose, C-Q10 and Liver Tonic, vitamin e..please read up on it..Lisa

------------------
ON THE WAY TO CAPE MAY!!!!!

Old 09-13-2003, 07:20 PM   #4

maddux417 HB User
Someone on this board suggested doing a search and typing in 34 symptoms of menopause so I did and this very symptom you are taking about is listed there. Plus a lot more that I would have never have attributed to it. It helped me just knowing I was in good company.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:39 AM   #5

cloverberry HB User
I take an antidepressant and I'm not feeling bad any more. I don't like having to take drugs either but it's better than feeling so unhappy all the time.

Old 09-14-2003, 10:37 AM   #6

maddux417 HB User
I just typed in 34 symptoms of menopause on the search box of my home page and it pulled up several sites to choose from. I chose one and it gave the list I had heard of. I have had lots of ups and downs lately emotionally but have had to work very hard on my emotional health for years so this is just me times ten right now. I have to sort out how much is peri and how much is situational in terms of my life issues at this time. I woke up Tues. morning to use the potty and laid back down 'cause I had a little while before the alarm went off and all of a sudden I had a wave of despair wash over me, it came out of nowhere but it was so profound it took every effort just to breath through it. It passed but bothered me all day. Has anyone else had this particular experience in relation to peri?

Old 09-14-2003, 01:36 PM   #7

maddux417 HB User
I didn't mean homepage, I meant start page. God I'm so stupid. See new topic about 34 symptoms. After I put that up I clicked on the link on the first one and it didn't bring up the same page I went to when I did the search. Whatever , stupid computers.

Old 09-14-2003, 03:13 PM   #8
(female)

Geneva1 HB User
twanger,

From what I have learned (& experienced) so far with perimeno, everyone seems to have the dreaded "doom & gloom" feelings sometimes. But if you are really feeling down, talk to your Doctor about it, and possibly get some anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication. With your empty nest syndrome AND perimeno,
you might need that extra help for awhile! Also, it might help to have a baseline hormone test, just to see where all your levels are lately. Don't let yourself get farther and farther in a rut! I do agree with one of the posters about taking vitamins. You wrote that you "don't want to take drugs, just want to get on the other side of this" From what I hear, getting to the other side can take years! Everyone is different. We have to do whatever it takes during this time in our lives to get through it, keep our sanity, feel healthy (if that's possible!), and keep a smile on our faces. Our bodies are changing, and we have to find a way to accept it with grace. I have some days that I feel horrible, and others I feel fine. If your bad days are outweighing the good, then please please talk to your Doctor! One thing I can tell you, is that you are not alone. We are all on this Board for the same reason. To share our own daily aches & pains, read about others experiencing the same symptoms, educate ourselves, and find the right solutions for our individual problems. Once I got it through my thick head, that I can't stop what's happening too me, I decided that I had to do something to make it easier. At first, I ran from one Dr to another, thought I was gonna die, I was certain something was terribly wrong with me. Now I have realized that it is all normal, but there are solutions to ease our agony. You have to keep trying to find the right solution for you! Let us know what your Doctor suggests.

Geneva

Old 09-17-2003, 11:51 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Twanger, feelings of impending doom can be depression or anxiety disorder. This is easily treated by seeing your doctor. You don't have to feel like you do....you can be enjoying every day of your life, but you must go see a doctor. Also, I don't know if you are aware that selenium is nature's anti-depressant, and most people are selenium-deficient. You need to take this supplement, along with calcium and magnesium (nature's relaxant).

Good luck!
Marilyn

Old 09-18-2003, 06:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

twanger HB User
Thank you everyone for your help. I am taking evening of primrose oil, vitamin E, and a good multivitamin. I have noticed that these feelings of "doom and gloom" seem to be cycling. In other words, I don't have bleeding, but I do feel that my hormones are still cycling as they did when I had periods. At the beginning of my period I have tons of energy and the world is almost as good as it was previous to peri. However, as I become more bloated and start to slow down, the lack of sleep increases as do my feelings of doom. I wonder how long these cycles last without having a period?

Old 09-19-2003, 06:26 AM   #11
(female)

Kat734 HB User
I've experienced these feelings and more for several years also. It's an awful way to live. Finally, I found a good GYN who ordered blood work to check my hormone levels. I was bottomed out in my testosterone level, so she started me on testosterone cream, compounded in a pharmacy. I had ALL of the symptoms of Female Androgen Deficiency and I could swear it was killing me! Why had no other doctor (and I saw them all) detected this??? I have to tell you, I actually feel like a real person now. Sure, I still worry about my health sometimes along with other things, but, my anxiety and depression are gone and my libido is much improved. My biggest concern right now is my hairloss. It is less, but still falls out and I think I've lost a third of my hair......VERY UPSETTING! Does it ever stop? Does it ever begin to grow back in? I'm looking for help in this area right now. Just know you're not alone. Other posters here have given you some great advice...but, I'd get your hormone levels checked to start with.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:27 AM   #12
(female)

Kat734 HB User
I've experienced these feelings and more for several years also. It's an awful way to live. Finally, I found a good GYN who ordered blood work to check my hormone levels. I was bottomed out in my testosterone level, so she started me on testosterone cream, compounded in a pharmacy. I had ALL of the symptoms of Female Androgen Deficiency and I could swear it was killing me! Why had no other doctor (and I saw them all) detected this??? I have to tell you, I actually feel like a real person now. Sure, I still worry about my health sometimes along with other things, but, my anxiety and depression are gone and my libido is much improved. My biggest concern right now is my hairloss. It is less, but still falls out and I think I've lost a third of my hair......VERY UPSETTING! Does it ever stop? Does it ever begin to grow back in? I'm looking for help in this area right now. Just know you're not alone. Other posters here have given you some great advice...but, I'd get your hormone levels checked to start with.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:29 AM   #13
(female)

Kat734 HB User

Old 09-21-2003, 11:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
I had that doom and gloom too; a bit of anti-depressants work great. A lot less hassle than vitamins but not as good for you either.
It got to the point that trying to go to sleep I'd start thinking of the worst health related thngs.
I felt like I was cracking up. The tofranil just about stopped it.
Just about !

------------------

Susan Gene

Closed Thread