It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2003, 05:37 PM   #1

jhw123 HB User
Post trie strogen question vs bi- estrogen is one better?

is tri-estrogen better than bi- estrogen? I am seeing a dr. to talk about starting tri-estrogen but was researching and found that some people are on bi-estrogen. Does it make a difference? I am 38 years old and have fibromyalgia. I and a full hysterectomy six years ago and have been off premarin for three years. I just can't stand the hot flashes and aches and pains anymore so i want to try the natural estrogen therapy but i am confused as to which type is better and what amount of progesterone, estriol and estrone and testosterone would benefit me. I would like to have some basic knowledge before I see this dr. so i have an idea of what to expect. Any information would be great thanks.

Old 11-02-2003, 12:03 PM   #2

hastogetbetter HB User
I have been taking hormone replacement for about 5 years and am 41 years old. I was on premphase for about 4 years and decided I wanted to do the natural route. I can tell you that you may have to try different ways of taking it. I used tri-est for about 5 months in cream form along with 100 mg of Prometrium. I was still having hot flashes and night sweats. So, I decided to try bi-est and felt a little better but still had the night sweats (really bad). I really thought I wasn't getting enough of something but wasn't sure which estrogen was lacking. Then I decided to try the Vivelle patch and I have now found the right replacement. It took away all my symptoms and I feel great. I am still taking 100 mg Prometrium and also .5mg of Testosterone daily. Let me know if you have any other questions and good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2003, 01:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
tri+pro+tes

Hi jhw,

If you are without ovaries, your body may need a little of all the hormones. Our bodies naturally make all 3 estrogens, plus progesterone and and testosterone.

I had an oopherectomy 6 years ago and could not take synthetic estrogens.
I nearly went crazy for 2 years and then found out about the bio-identical compounded formulas. My Internist just wrote a scipt for the formula and the compounding pharmacist put the combination together. He had me fill out 5 pages of symtoms and problems. According to my symtoms, he compounded the formula. I was given all three estrogens, plus progesterone and testosterone.
(My sister who is going through natural menopause vs. surgical, is only taking 2 of the estrogens. She still has normal levels of the other hormones)

My life changed in about 2 weeks. I have been on this formula for 4years and have done very well with it. I never have a symtom unless I get real upset and I have a slight flash. (I take the capsule.) It's called Tri-est, (+pro+test)

I have had my hormone levels checked and they remain good. Some other ladies and I who went on the compounded formula's , did meet with some resistance with our GYN's to begin with. My GYN of 25 years, said it wouldn't work (4 yrs. ago)
He now prescribes it, instead of synthetics.

Good Luck,
Cymy Sue

Last edited by Cymy Sue; 11-29-2003 at 05:00 AM.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Re: trie strogen question vs bi- estrogen is one better?

bump for Navy

Old 11-29-2003, 07:40 AM   #5
Inactive

Navy1990 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymy Sue
bump for Navy

Hi Cymy Sue!

Well I don't have hot flashes so my breast doctor said I didn't need any HRT. Of course, I can't take estrogen because of the family history anyway. The breast center doctor (who is very against HRT because of the cancer risks), said just take Calcium and a bunch of other vitamins, eat well, and I'd be fine. I had the full hysterectomy with ovaries removed 18 months ago. I have never been on anything. They said I would go into menopause immediately, I guess I did. Since I always had some depression from the PTSD, I didn't notice many changes at first....but, now I look back and I started getting a lot of physical ailments, aches and pains, memory loss, confusion, that were worse or I never had before. The doctors never related any of it to the hysterectomy. I also had chest pains and have been given every diagnostic test under the sun ....so, it's time to check out the natural hormone therapy at the doctors and see what's going on with me. I am very concerned about taking something that causes cancer or other problems medically. But, I also realize that my body needs something.

Navy1990

Old 12-20-2003, 08:49 AM   #6
(female)

Kat734 HB User

Hi ladies,
I had a partial hyster. 12 yrs. ago....I recently began using testosterone cream (1 mg. daily or less) for symptoms of Female Androgen Insufficiency. I also more recently (3 months ago) began using natural progesterone cream (1/8 - 1/4 tsp. daily because I am so thin and very little body fat).

Here's the problem....I am having terrible anxiety all of a sudden since about a week before Thanksgiving....I can't handle it. I told my GYN and she prescribed estradiol to try and "tweek" the progesterone effects (her words). I'm a little concerned since I found out that estradiol is considered to be procarcinogenic; the worst of the 3 (estriol, estrone, estradiol). I haven't filled the prescription, but I NEED to find a balance and get rid of this anxiety! Has anyone else here had experience with this and can you advise me as to what to try????
Could the anxiety be coming from the progesterone or the combination of prog. & testosterone????? OR, am I not using enough progesterone???? I'm just terrified that if I experiment and up my progesterone dose, I will get even worse anxiety. I feel like collapsing now!

Please respond. Kathy

Closed Thread