It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
(female)

emeraldsea HB Useremeraldsea HB User
Achy joints and fatigue...Perimenopause?

I've been going through perimenopause for several years now, but the last 2 years have been tough...Heavy erratic periods, but the worst has been the on again, off again achy joints (everywhere) and just a crushing fatigue that seems to show up around the same time every cycle. Is this just me, or is anyone else having a similar problem? I'm not anemic, and I take synthroid, but my thyroid hormone levels are normal (my doctor checked). This is really beginning to affect my life...Tired a lot, and just don't have the energy to do things about half of every month...Any ideas/suggestions?? Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Achy joints and fatigue...Perimenopause?

Welcome to the peri club. Yep, that's what happens. It's exhausting isn't it? Try to get as much rest as possible. You also may want to increase your B vitamins. Try Estroven Extra Energy (available at any supermarket or drug store). It seemed to help me somewhat. Also, try to get some exercise, it really helps!!

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
(female)

Cool Re: Achy joints and fatigue...Perimenopause?

Perimenopause...What fun, huh? Well, at least I know I've got company...I've been reading up on B vitamins, as I have heard that they can help, and I do need to increase my exercise (tough to do when you're so exhausted and everything is stiff and achy, though). But, I'll give your suggestions a try-Hopefully, they'll help. Thanks so much for the ideas!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Emeraldsea: Have you had your Vit D levels checked? I've been watching Dr. Oz and he said the other day that pain in joints could be caused from low Vit D levels. Vit D helps absorb calcium. Alot of people are low in Vit D, especially if they live in the northeast. He also mentioned chronic fatigue syndrome. Look into that. Getting your hormone levels checked as well as vitamin levels might be a good place to start. A change in diet might be in order as well. We're here to help and talk. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
(female)

Smile Re: Achy joints and fatigue...Perimenopause?

re: 92261...I also have heard that people who live in colder climates have problems maintaining Vit D levels, and I do live in North Dakota, so that could definitely be possible. As for hormone levels, I had them all checked this summer and they were ok...I don't think vitamin levels were checked though. I'll speak to my doctor about the Vitamin D possibility, and look into Vit D supplements...Anything that will help with this will be welcome. Thanks so much for the ideas and suggestions!!

Last edited by emeraldsea; 10-24-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

I agree with 92661, start taking some Vitamin D with calcium. I started taking it right before I go to bed and it really helps me sleep. You need about 1000 mg of D a day. It also helped with my mood. I take a half a pill during the day and the rest at night.
Missy

Old 10-25-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

emeraldsea: Yes, living up in ND I suppose counts for low Vit D. levels because of the lack of sunshine and shorter days in the winter. One thing that just came across my mind was fibromyalgia. Bring that up to your doctor. It causes alot of muscle and joint pain. It tends to show up later in life. It's not fun. Yoga seems to help with it. Are you on any meds. Sometimes meds can have side-effects that cause muscle and joint pain. The colder climate in ND can also cause arthritis-type pain. Have you tried heating pads? Stay warm, it's going to be a cold winter.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
(female)

Missy222: Sounds good!Thanks for the helpful input and suggestions!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
(female)

re:92261... Yep, we definitely have shorter days up here in the winter...Sun rises around 8:30 am and sets around 4:30 in the afternoon on the shortest days...8 hours of daylight...Ugh! I am going shopping this weekend and am going to buy some Vit. D, and hopefully it will help. I have considered Fibromyalgia as a possibility. It's hard to determine if the achiness etc. is caused by that, or just simply perimenopause. I've been reading up on it, and will speak to my doctor about it when I see her for a checkup in about a month. The yoga sounds like a good idea...Even my 78 year-old Mom has suggested that, and I am seriously thinking about trying it. The only med I take on a regular basis is Synthroid. As for the cold up here in the winter, it no doubt contributes to the achiness, but it happens during the summer too, so the cold alone isn't the problem. Heating pads are a must have in this house, and believe me, I do use them and they help. I hope this winter won't be as bad as last year...6 and a half feet of snow and brrrrrr! Thanks for all the great input and suggestions!

Last edited by emeraldsea; 10-29-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Closed Thread