It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
migraine headache with aura

I use to get these migraine headaches with the aura back when i was in my 30's...I really didn't know what they were because i would only get a slight headache but i would get the visual disturbances first...then in my 40's they went away...since turning 50 they have come back...starting to get them every month...I was wondering if it had anything to do with menopause...I'm still on the birth control pill...i'm wondering if that could be causing them...It is all a mystery...I did start taking a supplement "Biotin Forte" for my hair...Maybe that vitamin is not agreeing with me? Has anyone else gotten more migraines since being in Peri-menopause....

Old 11-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: migraine headache with aura

younggranny: Be careful. This sounds hormone related. It could be TIA's, seizures, or a different type of epilepsy called Catamenial Epilepsy. Keep track of when they're happening. I've developed this Catamenial Epilepsy and it's due to Estrogen Dominance.
The seizures happen right after the full moon and new moon. This kind of epilepsy can start at puberty or menopause. I had 3 cousins, all sisters, who had these issues. One had the seizures starting at puberty and one had migraines right before her period and she said they all went away once menopause was over.

I know several people who live near me that have these. Young and old. Some of the triggers to look for are MSG, caffeine, fluorescent lights, lack of sleep, EMF's, cell phones, cordless phones, the sun, smells, cleaning chemicals, cigarette smoke, perfume,
loud noises, loud music, crowded places.

I wouldn't be on the BCP at 50! Too many risks. You shouldn't be able to get pregnant now. Have a full hormone study done to see if you've got too much estrogen. If you do you might be able to benefit from some progesterone cream. Have an endocrinologist do it for you if your gyno or PCP won't. Go the hormone route before you see a neurologist because all they are going to do is prescribe a seizure med for you. However, it might not be a bad idea to have an EEG and an MRI to make sure there aren't any tumors or anything in the brain that could be causing these episodes. It was just on TV yesterday about these cell phones causing brain cancer, tumors and seizures.

It's nothing to fool with. Be careful if you're driving. I crashed my car last year after having a seizure behind the wheel. Now I can't get my license back until I'm 6 mo. seizure free. It's all menopause related. It could be 10 years before this all ends!

I'm here to help and willing to answer any questions you might have. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2009, 08:06 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

I don't think i am having a seizure..I just have some flashing zig zagging light disturbances with my eyes for around 30 minutes and then a mild headache comes for a few hours...what was your seizure like...but you are right about getting off the birth control pill...I see my gyno on friday and will tell her all about it...when i had this same things in my 30's the doctor said it was classic migraine w/aura...but i never did have a MRI..I do worry about a stroke esp. being on the pill...but soon as i am done with this pack i'm quitting..I was taking the pill for hormonal reasons...Getting old is scary...I was just in for a colonoscopy, then a mammogram, now this....I will let you know what my doctor says...

Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

younggranny: The only thing I remember about the seizure before my accident was that I had a "BRIGHT LIGHT" flash before me. I have no recollection of the rest of it. I generally have no warnings and only know I've had a seizure because I can tell that I've bitten my lower lip, spilled drinks on myself and have a lapse in time. Every time I have a seizure I lose brain cells. My memory is getting worse all the time. I have to write everything down even more so these days.

Witnesses to the accident say that I was going 80 mph and hit a guardrail and the car flipped 3 times and then ended up crashing into a telephone pole. I had my seatbelt on and the airbag went off and it was a station wagon I was driving so I had extra metal to protect me. I didn't panic because I didn't know what was going on. It was only a mile from my house!!! God was with me, that's all I can say.

This all started happening back in 2005. I can remember sitting at my kitchen table reading the newspaper and I just felt this tingling/electrical sensation go from the base of my skull, up the left side of my head, and I was disoriented and said what the h*ll was that?! Then it happened again several weeks later. It hasn't happened since. One thing that I contributed it to was that my husband went and changed all the light bulbs in the house to those new twirly bulbs that are supposed to save energy. They are fluorescent!!! I can't stand being in a school, supermarket, church, or any place that these lights are used. I changed my glasses to have the type that darken into sunglasses when I'm outside to see if that will help with the light effects.

Think hard to see if you can determine if there are any specific triggers to your headaches. Even allergies can show up later in life. I was told that I'm allergic to milk, tomatoes and sugar. I'm not having allergic reactions like hives or anything. One nurse told me it might be that I have "too much" of the stuff in my body. There are over 40 side effects of Estrogen Dominance. I've got about 14 of them. The other thing you might want to consider is your blood sugar. The medicine I'm on has the same side effects as low blood sugar!!! Go figure!!! Dizziness, blurred vision, hunger, anxiety, and irritability. Hypoglycemia is also one of the side effects of Estrogen Dominance!!!

Do you ever feel better if you have something to eat? When your sugars are low you could have feelings like you're having. By eating something or having a quick acting sugar it might subside. Alot of people don't realize it but insulin is a hormone too. When your pancreas is making insulin and you don't have enough food to let the body use it up then you get hungry and sometimes dizzy. Exercise is a natural insulin. Do you do alot of exercising? You'll get dizzy if you don't eat and drink to keep your energy up. There are many avenues to go with all of this. This is why it's called the "CHANGE OF LIFE"!!! Our bodies are changing. Some people go through this like nothing and others suffer! Hang in there and keep looking for solutions. You need to be your own advocate. Try some natural remedies before you ever start taking prescription meds. I wish I had listened to my gut and I wouldn't be on these seizure meds right now!!!

Closed Thread