It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 07:35 AM   #1
(female)

walkingbird HB User
Pregnant or perimenopausal or what?

I will be 42 next week and have always had a pretty regular cycle, although it's gotten slightly shorter. However my last period was going on 2 months ago. Just around the end of last month I got very hormonal and emotional, feeling like I was going to bleed, but didn't. It occurred to me recently that it's been a month since then. This is unsusual for me. I've been a bit more tired than usual, but other than that, have had no other symptoms. But I am beginning to get concerned. At this age, how do I know whether I'm perimenopausal or pregnant? I've never been pregnant before and am not looking to be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User
Re: Pregnant or perimenopausal or what?

if there's a possibility that you could be pregnant (because you've had sex) then the only sure way to know is to do a pregnancy test. at your age it could be pregnancy or peri and the sooner you rule one out, the better you'll feel.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
(female)

Wise52 HB User

During perimenopause your periods become irregular. You may skip a month or two, then have a normal one or even go as long as six months without one, then have a normal one. After one year without any kind periods, you might suspect menopause. Sometimes you spot or have light periods when peri starts.

You are young to have started menopause, but it is possible. Perimenopause begins around age 50. Your symptoms of being tired and emotional could be pregnancy. However, I became nauseous very early on when it was only 3 weeks after conception, but couldn't be tested for pregnancy until my period was 6 weeks late. Since you are past that time, suggest you buy a pregnancy kit and find out.

Old 11-29-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i would have to disagree about when PERImenopause starts, it's usual to start having symptoms from 40 onwards, with occasional skipped periods, lighter/heavier periods, pms, etc., due to hormones diminishing.
it's menopause itself (that 12 months completely without a period) which is likely from 50 onwards.
or that's my understanding of it
sue

Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
(female)

MidlifeMe HB User

I too had never missed a period until about 43. Then, I had a hot flash here and there and skipped or had extremely light periods occasionally. I thought I might be pregnant several times and took home tests. I also had multiple tests for my digestive issues/stomach pain. At those times, the docs also did pregnancy tests to be sure. Now I know it's all part of peri. I had no idea that it would start before 50. I also did not know the extent of the symptoms I would get.
My life altering symtoms started in October '09 (age 46). Pain during intercourse, feeling like my insides are falling out, major hot and cold flashes, creepy tingly skin, heart racing, insomnia, periods of exhaustion, and mood swings, all to go with the stomach issues. Low dose bc pill has helped alot. Also the ladies here. Walkingbird, you likely have started perimenopause, but it isn't a bad idea to check out with your doc.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #6
(female)

walkingbird HB User

Thanks, ladies, for all your help. I did get my period finally, just before thanksgiving (and was truly thankful for it)
I never before had factored in the uncertainty of this time of life and am very appreciative to have found this message board.
Thanks again.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Flutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB UserFlutterbye77 HB User

I had a baby at 41 and another at 43. both healthy. I too thought when I missed my period it was peri. I was so wrong. I just turned 45 and still have regular periods, although they do seem a little shorter than before.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
(female)

frd889 HB User

I'm 43 never had issues with my monthly. Always on time and 5 days. I was due for mine on Jan 1st. I have had my tubes tide so I'm guessing it may be peri. I noticed this past year or so I get seriously depressed on my periods. They got very heavy. My right ear would suddenly flush red for no reason, and was hot to the touch. My heart would palpitate. The doctor ran all kinds of tests including putting me on a halter monitor for heart a couple times just to be sure and all came back fine except my cholesterol was a bit high. They even checked me a year or two ago for peri and said I was not in it. So I got no answers to why my body all of a sudden was doing these things. My body has that feeling like I'm going to start anytime but nothing yet. My most recent noticeable change other than being late was in the last two weeks. During my sleep I got real hot and started to sweat. I am never hot at night especially in the winter. I am always cold. This happened 3-4 nights in a row. Throwing the covers off me & we had a fan on and still I broke out in a sweat. Nothing to drench the sheets as I have been reading that hot flashes cause,but sweating for no reason. Have not felt that in a week. Now the period is late. I'm going to schedule a dr. Apt just to see.

Closed Thread