It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
stopping birth control pill

I have been on the pill for 20 years. I went on because of hormone issues, but now today the doctor and i decided that i will stop for 4 wks and then take blood work to check my hormones..If i am menopausal then i will not take the pill anymore but if i am not then she wants to put me on a low dose birth control..but my thoughts are i think i am done with birth control pills for good...but i am now wondering is it possible to get off the pill and not have withdrawal symptoms after that many years or will i soon be hit with lots of menopausal symptoms...i actually felt real good on the pill but i was starting to get migraine headaches again. Has anyone gotten off the pill and done something to make the transition easy..i really want to be hormone free but i am just scared about what i'm going to have to endure...need some advice

Old 12-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #2
(female)

Nona33 HB User
Re: stopping birth control pill

How old are you? i am 51 and have bene on a low dose pill for 5 years. Its great but i wish for menopuase and am being taken off it for a month to see if i am menopausal.
Many women go through menopause with little or no symptoms, only blood work can tell.
I have not heard of withdrawal symptoms from stopping pills, I've taken them before for a year and had no symptoms when off of them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

i am 50 years old...I was going to get off the pill a couple of weeks ago, but i thought i better stay on yet over the holidays because i expect a roller coaster of symptoms once i get off...if a body is use to hormones and then all of a sudden gets off of them i'm thinking i will go straight into menopausal symptom...I'm just not ready for all the hot flashes, anxiety, etc..but i guess it is time to be hormone free....

Old 12-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
(female)

Nona33 HB User

Well, no one wants to be hormone free! You mean artificial hormone.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
(female)

linda sue HB User

A low dose pill would probly be best if you getting close to memopase it would help keep you from bleeding heavy during your period and keep it from going on for long period mine did close to menopase the pill probaly regulate it better till you are done. I was though menopase at 50 don't know if that early or not. Good luck

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-26-2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: Please use the Quick Reply button instead of Quote Reply.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User

Nina33.. i think you are right...i would be in pretty bad shape if i did not have hormones...HA! Linda sue, I am getting off of birth control for 4 wks and then have my hormones checked and then i will go from there..i think my doctor will want to put me on a low dose birth control pill...I am on ortho novum 7/7/7 that is a medium dose pill..

Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

Hi,
I am 50 and was on bcps for two and a half years. I went off in Sept and had my levels checked 7 weeks later. My last period was early Sept. My blood work showed I was in meno. I chose not to do anything at all. Well, here it is January and I started my first bioidentical hormone pellets and progestrin pills. The hot flashes were awful, but he night sweats were unbearable. I slept for an hour at a time then, boom sweating like a pig. I couldnt' do it anymore. The vaginal dryness was awful too. I am two weeks into this and feel much much better.

I just thought I would give you something to think about. Feel free to ask me anything else. Good luck.

Closed Thread