It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
(female)

k9love HB User
Burning mouth, tongue, syndrome?

I have the symptoms of this, anyone else had it?
Ive been told its acid reflux but the symptoms of Burning mouth/tongue fit my problem almost perfectly, only difference I have is burning is only on one side of tongue and throat?
Just read that it can last for years after menopause!!!
I hope not, will end up driving my car in to a brick wall, its really getting me down!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

marymk HB User
Re: Burning mouth, tongue, syndrome?

I seem to have this also - I'm still in peri - but getting closer to full menopause. For me - it seems to move around to different parts of my mouth and tongue and comes and goes for durations of time. I just had it a couple of weeks ago, and now it's gone.
I also get very tender gums - so much that they hurt to brush - and I cannot floss too much anymore. I've found that rinsing with warm salt water helps a bit, and rinsing with a mild mouthwash helps get food out when I can't floss.

I get acid reflux once in a while - but it doesn't seem to be related to the burning mouth. At my last dental cleaning, I asked about it - and he did imply that it was most likely hormonal related.

Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

hawkins6 HB Userhawkins6 HB User

Are you still suffering from burning mouth? I have had it since May. I have been treated for many different things...acid reflux, thrush, ENT, dentists..nothing changes the fact that my tongue and gums burn on the left side only. I've been through medipause several years ago. Nothing seems to help and nobody can figure out what is going on. The only relief is when I eat, drink, chew gum or sleep. What a way to go through life. Any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
(female)

mcdowell HB User

I don't know if this will help, but my mom used to have burny tongue, she was told it was a zinc deficiency, she used zinc lozenges or vitamins, and it went away.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
(female)

thewhichisdead HB User

I have had burning mouth syndrome for several years and believe it is related to some of the dental work I had which probably affected the nerves. I use losenges, gum, gabepentin and behavior modification to keep my mind off of it. It has not lessened very much. I am past menopause. I have Gerd but it is not related to it.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

I had this in my 30's and it lasted almost 3 years....it finally went away thankfully.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #7
(female)

thewhichisdead HB User

Thanks for the encouragement. I have had it about 5 years and take it one day at a time. It can be very draining but I am thankful it is that's all it is.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

thewhichisdead,

Try increasing your B vitaimins, I read somewhere it's a deficiency in B2 I believe. The B vitamins are water soluble so it won't hurt to try a super B complex to see if it may help.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #9
(female)

thewhichisdead HB User

Thanks for replying.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #10
(female)

diannemc HB User

I have started having this problem too..what is next! Please stop!!

Last edited by diannemc; 08-10-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
(female)

thewhichisdead HB User

I have had BMS about 5 years and very little has worked except holding ice or frozen teething ring in my mouth. When I am not busy doing something which does distract, I play solitaire on my IPOD. I had a health provider tell me they had 2 other women with BMS and one had visited serveral clinics around the country and found no answers. Just make sure that it is not something else. Med you may be taking. I had a lot of dental work on one side and feel the nerves have been rewired wrong. Be positive.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Hi ladies and Missy222: I was just reading on another board about this BMS and the poster said her doctor told her it was the B vitamins that were causing this. I've been having this too and I'm on a hormone rollercoaster here. It's got to be one of them. I'm going to try to stop the B6 and B12 for a while and see if it goes away. I read somewhere once that the body elminates any extra B vitamins on it's own so you can't OD on them. Who knows?!

Old 09-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
(female)

angie1962 HB User

Hi...just went thru all the postings here and found them very interesting. I started having that burning feeling on my tongue about a year ago. Went to the doc and he thought I had an infection and gave me meds. It seemed to work during the time I was using it but soon faded and returned.

Recently it got so bad that my inner cheeks, and the inside of my bottom lip are irritated. I'm constantly "ungluing" my cheeks from my teeth. I also have extremely dry eyes and have been working with my optomologist for 2yrs on this issue.
One day he asked me if I had dry mouth???? after I told him about my last few mths he suggested I see my dentist and ask him about Sjogren's syndrome. After seeing my dentist, I am currently waiting to see an oral surgeon specializing in oral health. My dentist highly suspects that I may have it.
They did mention that menopause can irritate this syndrome. I also have Fibromyalgia which leads to alot of other issues. I'm certainly not suggesting that any of you have Sjogren's...but it's something to look into and read about. Best Health to all of you
thanks

Closed Thread