It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
(female)

MsCanuck HB User
When is the best time of the month to go for FSH testing

I am 48 years old and starting to show all the symptoms of perimenopause; hair growing in places I don't want it to, hot flashes, difficulty sleeping, weepiness, crankiness, brain fog, vaginal dryness, etc. preventing proper sleep, and putting a crimp on all other wonderful things that make life great.

I had an endometrial ablation 5 years ago to deal with heavy and painful periods. The benefits ended up being extremely light periods 1.5 days requiring only a pantyliner and my period becoming "regular" at 26 days. Before that my period was all over the map at anywhere from 30 to 55 days. The only thing that's changed is that now my period is 7 days long, still very light, but 7 days nonetheless. Since I am having regular period, my Dr. is reluctant to prescribe a small amount of natural hormones to eliminate some of the symptoms so I can sleep.

At my insistance, my Dr. is sending me for a blood test to establish my FSH level. What is the best time of the monthly cycle to go so I get accurate results. Tks.

J.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: When is the best time of the month to go for FSH testing

Hi MsCanuck,

According to ZRT Laboratory (a well known lab, referred by Dr. Christine Northrup):

Regular periods - day 19, 20, or 21 of cycle (Day 1 is the first day of menses)

Irregular periods - collect when not bleeding

No periods - any day

Hormone Users

Oral progesterone - 8-12 hours AFTER last dose
Oral Hormones - 12-24 hours AFTER last dose

Sublingual/Troche - 36 hours AFTER last dose
(dissolves under tongue)

Topical Creams - 12-24 hours AFTER last application
includes over-the-the counter (e.g., hydrocortisone)

Transermal Patch
Bi-weekly use: 2-3 days AFTER applying the patch
Daily use: 12-24 hours AFTER applying

Vaginal Suppositories - 12-24 hours AFTER last dose

Injections - at midpoint between injections

7-Keto DHEA - 3-5 days after last dose
(not standard DHEA)

Hope this helps,
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
(female)

MsCanuck HB User

Thank you so much!

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'd say you need a new gyno! Why not go on birth control? It will do the same thing but will force a period. Though, eventually, you'll start skipping them anyway and then you can go to HRT. That's what I did...except I was already on birth control and so they just switched me to a different pill when I started having symptoms.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #5
(female)

MsCanuck HB User

thanks for your reply Titchou, I could never take the birth control pill, even in my youth due to severe migraines, so that is not an option for me.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Well, then, HRT isn't going to be an option either. It's basically just a different formulation of the same thing.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi MsCanuck,

Alot of women do try a low dose birth control pill to help get through meno and it is just basically the same thing, adjusting and regulating hormone levels.

I think at this time in our lives, it's just a trial and error over what works for us, just because BCP's aren't an option for you doesn't mean that HRT isn't. I think that we just have to try different things to find out what works the best for our individual needs.

Hang in there and do what you need to do for symptom relief.

Missy

Last edited by missy222; 04-12-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

In my experience, none of my friends who had problems taking BCP have been able to take HRT. I'm sure that there are some folks out there who've been able to but since we are supposed to only state our experiences and what we can prove as fact, I felt compelled to share that.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:27 PM   #9
(female)

MsCanuck HB User

Sorry for the late thank yous, I was out of town. I greatly appreciate all your replies, I know that HRT might be a challenge for me, but I'll go for the blood test and take it from there.

Closed Thread