It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
(female)

warmbreeze HB Userwarmbreeze HB User
Length of time to take HRT

I was wondering if the Doctor's of those of you on HRT, recommended how long you should take them? I've been on them since the end of May 2009, so it's almost been a year. They've helped, but I'm constantly worried about breast cancer. It does run in my family. I was miserable before starting HRT and I still do get a certain amount of night sweats and I'm also still tired a lot, but still I'm a lot better than I was.

Old 04-14-2010, 04:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User
Re: Length of time to take HRT

I have been on them since September. I asked the question as well and was told "years"! I recently found out I have an ovarian cyst so I am not sure what will happen now as ovarian cysts can't be "follicular" in postmenopausal women. The night sweats/hot flashes stopped instantly for me but have returned the last couple weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've been on it for 7 years. The problem with coming off it is that the symptoms will return. HRT doesn't get you past menopausal symptoms, it just puts them off. My gyno tells me that if I get off it, I could have symptoms for 1-3 years afterwards.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I was under the impression from my doctor that it gets you past the period when you would have symptoms. I will have to verify your statement, Titchou. IF it is true that it just delays the symptoms, I will stop taking them and get the symptoms over with now. Taking HRT is a risk and why bother if it doesn't eliminate the symptoms for good. I'll check........

Old 04-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
(female)

Yes I'd like to find out the answer to that question. I don't know what I would want to do now, get it over with or delay it. Right now I'm busy with Grandchildren, traveling etc and I would hate to be dripping sweat again the way I was before starting HRT. Also strangely I still have some night sweats, those haven't completely gone away. I am taking a very small amount of estrogen and my dr told me I could take more if I needed to, but I noticed I seemed edgy and moody on the days I took more.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
(female)

So the hotflashes returned even though you are still on HRT? Have you asked your Doctor about why? Maybe you need an adjustment to the amt you take.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #7
(female)

LisaH1960 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
I've been on it for 7 years. The problem with coming off it is that the symptoms will return. HRT doesn't get you past menopausal symptoms, it just puts them off. My gyno tells me that if I get off it, I could have symptoms for 1-3 years afterwards.
I've read the same thing, that HRT only postpones the inevitable. I was only taking the hormones for four months before I had to quit because of the side effects, but when I did, they were worse than ever. Luckily I found an herbal product called Wisdom Menopause Formula that really came to the rescue. It stopped the night sweats and hot flashes in a matter of days, and helps with my moods and anxiety better than when I was on HRT.

I've been using it for over a year now. I've quit a few times, and find that I can go several days without any symptoms, so lately I only take it once every two or three days. But I feel so much better overall when I take it that I see no reason to quit.

Closed Thread