It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
(female)

cyclequeen31 HB User
Ectopic heart beats/ Superventricular Tachycardia

Hello Everyone, I <asked this question elsewhere> & a lovely lady suggested it may be due to the menopause. I had suggested this to my doc as the first time I had an episode was 6 months after my last period at 51. I had just gone to bed was very relaxed had a hot flush & my heart raced like I'd been on the treadmill!! very alarming had to call the ambulance as I thought I must be having a heart attack. My doctor says it's nothing to do with the menopause but I'm hearing that other people have had this happen to them too, I would love to hear of others to reassure me please.

Hello, has anybody ever had any of the above please? I've been having fluttering/banging sensations in my chest for years, my doctor gave me an ecg but it was fine. Over the past couple of years I've had several instances of sudden fast racing heartbeat for no apparant reason, mainly at rest when I'm about to sleep in bed or wakes me in the night. My doctore thinks it's probably SVT but it's never been caught on an ecg to make sure. I've now realised that this fluttering sensation is my heart missing beats!! I'm quite alarmed but I'm told it happens to most of us & we don't notice, but I'm noticing it a lot of times a day, sometimes several over & over. I'm 53 slim & fit, I swim cycle & use the gym regular, don't smoke either. Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Last edited by mod-anon; 04-19-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Please do not discuss other forums

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User
Re: Ectopic heart beats/ Superventricular Tachycardia

Hello Cyclequeen,
Yes, I do believe it is due to our hormones. I think doctors are wrong when they say they are not. I have had heart palpatations my whole life, mainly around the time of my periods. Now at 52 they are out of control. I have heart fluttering, what feels like missed beats, racing heart and pounding out of my chest heart. A number of years ago I had tests done, heart monitor, heart ultrasound and a stress test and the doctor said they where all clear. I hope nothing has changed in the years since these tests. The racing heart is the scariest as I get the feeling of suffocating and the last episode of racing heart lasted almost an hour. I took lorazepam to help me calm down, I didn't call an ambulance even though I wanted to. I have stopped drinking coffee and alcohol and still I get heart flutters. This must be our hormones. I have increased anxiety and find it hard to control my panic.
I hope some day there will be more research in this area because many women experience this and think it is a heart attack. We should always be cautious and see the doctor when we don't feel well, but when tests are completed and all is clear it leads me to believe it is hormones, stress and anxiety.
I try and exercise but it is difficult because this seems to trigger an episode, I refuse to stop living my life and let these hormones take me down.

I hope you feel better soon.
Mary

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi gals,

Count me in too. The first time it happened, I truly thought I was dying. I called my neighbor over to come sit with me because it scared me so bad. She is 67 and told me that is what happens with menopause, she went through it and also many of her friends. I also had an EKG done and everything was fine. My GP doctor said it was NOT caused by peri-meno symptoms, but from anxiety. My life is good and stress free, so I can't understand that. The anxiety just comes out of nowhere and the palps begin. There are so many women on this board that talk about the same symptoms, it has to be hormones!!!! The only thing that has really saved me from scaring myself to death, is to know that alot of us are going through it together. The palpitations and anxiety will pass and we just need to stay as calm as possible when it happens. It is a part of this crappy time in our lives and we will be okay.

Missy

P.S. I agree with Mary, we CAN'T let these hormones get the best of us. We have to keep our chin up because this too shall pass. When we are through, we will be wiser, stronger women at the end of our journey.

Last edited by missy222; 04-18-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi everyone!
Just wanted to welcome cyclequeen to the forum and say hi to you ladies. I do experience occasional heart flutters, but not the racing heart beats described here. I can imagine that must be very scary! I'm a heart patient, having recently had my aortic valve replaced, so racing to me would definitely warrant a visit to the ER. And I know that even the flutters I experience cause me to stop and take notice.

I wanted to throw something out there too, that you may want to research. I've read that hormonal fluctuation can also stimulate the adrenal glands. As stated here, there hasn't been much research done on this yet, but there are women on this forum who've stated this is the case for them. So perhaps it's a surge of adrenalin that's being experienced? I don't know. But thought it worthwhile to throw out there for you to perhaps check out.
Prayers for all,
~Karen

Old 04-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
(female)

cyclequeen31 HB User

Hello Mandarra, Missy & Ikaz, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with me , it's very reassuring to know that I'm not the only one this has happend to. This is not to say I'm glad you are all suffering the same as me, & of course many more women also. But to know that this thing that is happening may be another symptom of the menopause like hot flushes makes it easier to cope with. If only my doctor had said this to me I would not have worried so much. I too have looked at giving up alcohol, chocolate I don't drink caffiene anyway. I've found it really doesn't make any difference, there is no pattern to this, I may have three episodes of racing heart in one week then none for a couple of months. I do think that lots of alcohol is more likely to trigger one in me, so I drink in moderation. Like Mary say's don't let it take over your life, it will happen anyway just make the most of the good days. It really makes me think that most doctors seem to take more notice of what it says in the book than what their patients say!!

I hope I've replied in the correct way as I'm new & not sure of what to do.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
(female)

boodle2 HB Userboodle2 HB User

I have had this problem since high school and am now 53, was just diagnosed yesterday with superventricular tachycardia, I wore a heart monitor for a month and it finally happened so I could record it! my heart was beating at 220 beats per minute, my doctor put me on high blood pressure medicine that blocks this (we hope) if it doesn't work i will be having a procedure called catheter ablation. I am so thankful they finally know what it is and it can be taken care of!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

SVT's and sinus tachycardia are two different things. Sinus tachycardia is most likely to be the result of menopause and SVT is often due to a structural or congenital problem and will often show up far before menopause. To someone that has not had an SVT and gets sinus tachycardia due to menopause they would think there heart is going quite fast if it's only 95 or 110 beats a minute. Anything less than 140 is not an SVT and most SVT's are 160 (mine were always 180 - 220 or higher). Those of us with SVT's often have a PAC which is feels like a weird thump or unusual beat and then bam right up to 180 beats a minute. Starts and stops quite suddenly. When I turned 50(had a hysterectomy so I don't know when I stopped bleeding) my SVT's became worse. I had 5 or 6 a month and that lasted for about 7 months but that was probably because the hormone change set off the SVT's since that was my weakness. I would guess though that most people commenting do not have SVT's but rather sinus tachycardia and after menopause this should disappear which would not happen if you had SVT's. SVT's would not go away because of menopause and would not start most of the time due to menopause. Many women with SVT's have issues during childbirth, I sure did, it won't take until menopause. AVNRT, WPW and other SVT's are congenital oftentimes, AVNRT for example is an extra structural pathway in your heart and the only way to end that issue is to have a cardiac ablation like I did 2 months ago and get the extra pathway burned/cut. So if your first incident was during menopause, most likely it is sinus tachycardia, quite benign and nothing to worry about!

Old 04-21-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
(female)

lltomich HB Userlltomich HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodle2 View Post
I have had this problem since high school and am now 53, was just diagnosed yesterday with superventricular tachycardia, I wore a heart monitor for a month and it finally happened so I could record it! my heart was beating at 220 beats per minute, my doctor put me on high blood pressure medicine that blocks this (we hope) if it doesn't work i will be having a procedure called catheter ablation. I am so thankful they finally know what it is and it can be taken care of!
As I shared in my post, those of us with SVT's know far before menopause and those with issues starting during menopause are probably just having sinus tachycardia. I highly, highly recommend an ablation to you. Medicine is more dangerous put me into ventricular tachycardia (basically cardiac arrest) at one point and I was having heart attack like pains. Fortunately for me I was in the ER at the time. I was freaked out and I wanted an ablation asap after that experience. The ablation took 3 1/2 hours and I'm cured for life, no meds required. The ablation was so simple to have done, I'm more afraid of my dentist than I was during the ablation! It's so empowering not to have to even think about the problem anymore! I'm free! I don't have to spend money on drugs, ER's or anything related to SVT's anymore because I'm 100% cured! Only 3 1/2 hours of my life to be cured. What type of SVT do you have? If it's AVNRT you should definitely consider it the cure rate is really high around 98% and the complication rate really low! Best Wishes.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Awesome boodles, I'm so glad you found some answers to give you relief! Good luck in all you do, ~Karen

Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Iltomich,

Extremely interesting post. I never knew what was causing the increased heart rate during menopause and you gave a name to it. I researched it and yes, that is exactly what it is "Sinus Tachycardia". When estrogen levels drop in menopause, it causes your heart to race. Feel so much better knowing that it happens during peri/meno (not so much fun when it happens, but to know there is a reason for it brings so much relief).

Thanks so much,
Missy

Last edited by missy222; 04-21-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopalong_too HB User

I have this as well and had the 48hr holter monitor. The cardiologist called it "IST" "Inappropriate Sinus Tachycardia".

Old 04-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #12
(female)

cyclequeen31 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy222 View Post
Hi Iltomich,

Extremely interesting post. I never knew what was causing the increased heart rate during menopause and you gave a name to it. I researched it and yes, that is exactly what it is "Sinus Tachycardia". When estrogen levels drop in menopause, it causes your heart to race. Feel so much better knowing that it happens during peri/meno (not so much fun when it happens, but to know there is a reason for it brings so much relief).

Thanks so much,
Missy
Yes Missy I too think this may be what I'm experiencing, so I'm relieved to know this may not be as dangerous as I thought. What a shame I didn't come onto this site two years ago when it first started Still I can just get on with my life now as I've been assured by the doc that my heart it normal & all of you guys that this is just another, albeit fairly unknown, symptom of the menopause. Thanks again to all the posts

Old 06-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
(female)

whispa HB User

Hello All,
I am a newbie and so glad i came across this site as I have been suffering much the same as most of you on here.
2 years ago I was diagnosed as having SVT after a visit to A&E with a rapid heartbeat that would not calm down.I had no further bouts of this until 2 weeks ago when I had 2 attacks in one weekend both needing medical intervention.Although I didn't have any bouts of SVT during the 2 yrs I did suffer with ectopic beats and heart flutters which seemed to be when a period was due.
I too am convinced that the SVT and ectopic beats are down to hormones and I am sure I must be peri-menepausal.My periods have been really irregular the last few months and it seems very funny that this coincides with my latest bout of SVT.It is very scary and no matter how much reassurance I get I do still worry.I do have an appointment with the cardilogist on 20th of July so will ask about it being hormone related and I will let you know.
Keep well everyone and thanks for sharing your stories and info.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi Whispa, welcome to the forum!
I have also felt heart flutters which seemed to be when a period was due. And I've read many posts on here of other women suffering the same. I'd trust your instincts that it is hormone related, simply because too many women speak of it during this change of life. Unfortunately, most doctor's are not familiar with all of what we menopausal women are experiencing.

However, it's good that you're seeing a cardiologist, for your own piece of mind. Women are not exempt from heart conditions and it's very good to rule that out. Perhaps you can be prescribed something to alleviate your severe SVT when/if your heart checks out okay? This is a just a thought.
Hoping your find relief, ~Karen

Old 06-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
(female)

whispa HB User

Hi Karen and thanks for your reply.I forgot to mention that after my recent SVT bouts I was prescribed verapamil 40mg twice a day.I haven't had any further episodes but have still had the occasional flutter.
I think it's just anxiety related but I have been feeling a little strange,light headed and panicky,always worrying that it is going to kick off again.
I work in a school and we have a few trips coming up and I don't feel as if I can go on them,feel I need to be nearer home.I'm sure this will pass the longer I can go without further problems.
It is good that I'm not alone and to know how many others are suffering just the same, everyone's tips and reassurance are a great help.
Jac x

Closed Thread