It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #1
(female)

ThinBones HB User
Soooo tired, hot flashes taking over life....

I am 53 and in the past year I have gained 10 pounds which seems to have settled in my abdomen, no changes in diet lead to this change, just changes in my body - very distressing but have to deal with it and just do more to keep active. All the changes are difficult but I have so many hot flahes at night, I am sleep deprived and it is getting to be too much.... I have none of these during day and would love to hear if there is something over the counter that can combat this..herbs, whatever. I have read about so many things, my head is spinning...and that does not take much. I am willing though at this point to try going to MD and see what she says.... I still have periods, although more erratic, miss some, have some.... Cramping can be bad and they can be heavy which is also a change. So hard to concentrate and function during day, I have even gone back to bed in the morning to try and catch some so needed sleep. Thanks!!

Old 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Soooo tired, hot flashes taking over life....

Hi Thinbones,

Try Black Cohosh, it really works! I been taking it for several months and it has helped me alot. You can buy it on the vitamin aisle at Walmart.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kathryn+2 HB Userkathryn+2 HB User

I understand where you are coming from. I was having the same problem. Along with the hot flashes I was also experiencing cold flashes. What has worked for me is something called EVAMIST. It is not over the counter though. It is a spray that gives you a low meaured dose of estrogen. It is a very low dose and it is absorbed into the skin. It has worked wonders for me. If you do see a Dr. you might ask about it.
good luck,Kathryn

Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi Thinbones, everyone!
I surely can relate to hot flashes at night! That's when I notice them the most. Plus they've been affecting my sleep as well, ugh. I'm cold, then hot, cold, hot...

I've been taking the Blk Cohosh herb for some time now, which helps ease my night sweats only somewhat, and doesn't even touch the hot flashes. Not to say that it doesn't help others, it just doesn't work for me as much as I hoped it would.

So I have been looking for a better natural solution (personally can't take HRT). Then I remembered when I first came to the forum, a woman suggested a herbal elixir called Women's Menopausal Formula. I just ordered some and will let you know about it. It's kind of spendy, but at this point I'm willing to try it. I know the woman who told me of it stated that herself, along with her co-workers take it and swear by it.

LOL, so here I go, experimenting on myself! Hope this helps. Stay strong everyone & I will try to do the same! Luv, ~Karen

Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

ThinBones HB User

Thanks so much for your responses.....I will consider the spray thing when I see MD, sounds very interesting...... I am so surprised at what everyone tells me, my pharmacist said that melatonin she hears works good but it seems that one size does not fit all for sure. I ate some real licorice last night and only awake 3 times, may not mean a thing, may just be exhaustion but I am hoping.... Have to have levels drawn soon but then I hear that it fluctuates so much depending on when that is done!! Why can't we get some relief? Wasn't having babies enough??? It just does not seem fair.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi thinbones,

Be careful if you eat black licorice and have any trouble with high blood pressure because it could cause it to rise.

Missy

Old 04-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
(female)

merlethepearl HB User

this is how I felt about 14 years ago. I am now 56. I watched the movie "Fried Green tomatoes" and realized that I was like the woman in the movie. I felt "miserable". I went to a gyny who put me on the patch which helped immenself. After that I had my periods shut down altogether - they were light and eradic......anyway,,,,eventually I ended up on a combination of 3 hormones......estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. Went off them for a year and slowly starting feeling worse and worse. Went for surgery and my new gynaecologist was a wonderful woman who asked me why on earth I ever went off. So,,I'm back on and feeling again.

Closed Thread