It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
(female)

zelda3x HB User
Hot at night and itchy all over -- does this sound like peri?

Hi. First post here. Seems like a great board and a great group of people so thanks in advance for reading.

I am 44 and having a couple of symptoms that sound like peri-menopause based on what I have read here and elsewhere but am curious what you, the true experts, think!

I get really hot at times, mostly at night - husband says its like sleeping next to a heater at times lol. Don't ever have the sweats afterwards though. Just get really hot, have to throw the covers off and then eventually it seems to subside. Once, when I was on an airplane and we were landing (of course), had quick flash of all over hotness and then got cold and felt like I was going to throw up. Got the flu within 24 hours so that might have been flu related though. Getting hot at night is off and on and has been that way for several years.

The newest and oddest thing (has been happening for three days) is that I seem to be itchy all over at night. I will wake up and feel itchy everywhere - arms, legs, face, head, stomach, back etc... Last night I woke up and was scratching my arm till it was red but there is no rash, apparent irritation etc... Keep looking for bites, redness, swelling but there is none of that anywhere. I do have allergies but they are not skin-related and I take allergy medicine every day (have done so for years). I use lotion daily and have done so for years and have not recently switched brands. No new meds either. Itchiness seems to be most severe at night with some residual itchiness during the day but its not bad during the day.

Periods have been somewhat variable flow wise but still happen pretty regularly. Don't really seem to be experiencing other symptoms people mention such as mood swings etc...

So what do you think? Hot without sweating, and itchiness at night -- do they seem like indicators of peri or should I be looking for other causes?

Thanks much!

Last edited by zelda3x; 05-16-2010 at 08:47 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Hot at night and itchy all over -- does this sound like peri?

Hi Zelda3x, welcome to the forum!
The variable menses flow and the hot flashes are definite signs of peri. I've also heard of a few women with itchy skin as well. But this isn't as common. Lotions actually do contain hormones, so if you're starting the change of life, your old lotion may not be sufficient any longer. Being that your hormone levels possibly could be becoming estrogen dominant, and the lotion is now adding to the problem.

I was 44 when my hot flashes and night sweats started, with my periods staying regular such as yours until age 46. Then they started becoming very irregular. And it does vary as to what each woman experiences, as we are all unique. However, the irregular periods, night sweats, hot flashes are the classic signs of peri-menopause as you well know. It could very well be that you're just starting the process. So best wishes for you, and know we're here whenever you need.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Zelda,

I itch all the time too during this perimenopause. I am not sure if it's due to dry skin or what. I think Suzanne Somers mentioned it as one of her symptoms in one of the books she wrote. I found relief after I started using olive oil as a moisturizer after a shower.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Old 12-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I am itchy too. It has been going on for a couple of years now. On and off. It is very much a part of the hormonal changes. It freaks me out because I have alot of allergies too so I am always making sure I am not reacting to something else.

Closed Thread