It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User
Question Leg Pain...Peri or Something Else

I've been reading these boards on and off for 3 years since my Peri symptoms have started. I've had everything under the sun EXCEPT hot flashes. I've been to the ER a few times, had numerous tests and blood work, but all points back to my peri. I'm not using HRT and am trying to go through this "experience" with vitamins and supplements. I have bad days, good days and REALLY BAD DAYS!

Anyhow, I've run up quite a few bills over the years with this battle. Though I do have insurance, it only pays about half, and as everyone knows, they always overcharge the insurance companies, so....I have to pay quite a bit.

I haven't had a period in months, which is the way it's been with me the past year. I have periods for two months, then I'll go 4 without. Goody.

About a week ago, I started having leg pain in both legs. Now I've had stiffness from time to time, which I've always associated with age, my being about 50 lbs overweight, and my job, since I'm on my feet alot. But this time I got bad pain in my, for lack of a better term, butt bones and achiness in both legs. I also have sharp, burning pain that comes and goes in different parts of my legs, ankles and feet. It feels like someone is sticking me with a pin, or a knife. I've had a hard time sleeping these past couple of nights because of my achiness. Today, I noticed I was spotting so my period is going to start. The pain has subsided quite a bit but there's a couple of spots that are still giving me problems. Now since I started "my journey", I have noticed that I can see the veins in my legs more. I am very white since I hate the sun, so it might just be me. What I'm concerned about is whether this is something that is normal with peri, or should I once again, go to the doctor, which I hate doing because of the expense. I love my doctor and he's always overly concerned and will probably automatically have me get a doppler, but I don't want to have it if it's not necessary. I don't have any hot spots or redness, they are just achy and I do have places that feel like I'm being stuck with a hot poker or something. Sometimes the pains move to different areas, but one on my shin doesn't.

What do you all think? Peri or something else? Am I gonna live?

One more thing. Does anyone get a red face alot? Or like a red ring on your chest below your neck? Like a flush that comes and goes?

Sorry for so long of a post. It's late and I'm bored.

Thanks!

KY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Leg Pain...Peri or Something Else

Hi KYoung1207, glad you finally posted!
While I'm not a doctor and couldn't tell you why you're experiencing these aches, your other symptoms sound definitely peri-menopausal. And just FYI: doctors deem a woman post-menopausal after not having a period for 12 consecutive months.

I could only guess as to your aches, same as you. Personally I take extra Calcium due to my now aging bones. Do you? We need a lot more while going through peri because our system is changing so much and depleted of this. I would suggest this for you if you're not already doing so. It may help your bones settle down. Like for a peri woman my age, 47, I need 1000mg of Calcium per day.

Hope this helps! And there are others on here with great info and suggestions as well.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

Hi Kaz! I already take a lot of supplements, including 1200 calcium a day. I know about the 12 month thing too, just can't seem to get there. Longest I went was 4 months, then bam!

Today my legs hurt in other places. My legs are a bit swollen above the ankle and my ankles are stiff. I was feeling a little anxiety last night, so I'm figuring it's probably my hormones. If I'm not better in a week, I'll make yet another trip to the doctor. At least my doctor is cute.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-17-2010 at 07:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi KYoung1207,

It might be a circulation problem. If you're on your feet alot, you may want to try support stockings. If you're estrogen dominant it can make varicose veins worse. Vitamin E can help and also a herb called bilberry that improves circulation. Don't forget to elevate your legs whenever you can. A pillow at night under your legs might help.

The red face and chest or flush sounds to me like a hot flash.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Missy

Last edited by missy222; 05-18-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

I've only been experiencing this for a short time with my feet and legs. I'm on my feet and sitting about the same amount of time. My period has been trying to start for about the same time, that's why I have to wonder if it's just not peri. If it doesn't get better soon, I'm gonna have to see a doctor. Gosh I'll hate wearing support hose.

As for the redness, I don't get hot at all, just red. It's real weird to see that ring around my neck when I'm not hot at all. Looks like I've been in the sun too long. When I get up in the morning, I don't have it, but all I have to do is rub in some cream and there it is again. Maybe all my blood is rushing up that way instead of to my feet! lol

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-19-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi KYoung,

Ya, support hose could be a real problem especially if you do develop hot flashes!!!

So you're not red until you put on your cream? You may have developed a sensitivity all of a sudden to it. Try going without and see what happens!

Hang in there,
Missy

Old 05-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

No, it has nothing to do with that. I guess I just used a bad example. It's hard to explain.

I'm just a mess. lol

I'm going to have to back to the doctor I guess. I just really can't afford it.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-19-2010 at 08:55 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
(female)

emeraldsea HB Useremeraldsea HB User

I'm not an MD, but barring any other causes that may be the basis of your leg pains and facial redness, my guess would be peri...I've had the same problems myself. In fact, my leg pains were so bad last month, I also had trouble sleeping. The best way that I can describe mine is that they are similar to the "growing pains" that I had in my legs from time to time when I was a kid. Unfortunately, these pains went on almost non-stop for a couple of weeks leading up to my period, when after a couple of days, they finally went away. I took Advil for them, but nothing seemed to help, except soaking in a hot bath or the heating pad, but as soon as I got away from the heat, back they came. I have noticed that these leg aches seem to precede my period by a few days to a week or so, particularly during the last year. As far as the facial and neck redness goes, that is apparently not uncommon during peri...Achiness, stiffness and leg pains are also not uncommon, so you've got company! Fun, huh?? In the meantime, when the leg pains show up, try a hot bath and/or the heating pad, and hang in there!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi everyone and welcome to the forum emeraldsea!
Not to scare anyone but I'd also recommend a heart checkup. Not sure if it's related to your particular leg pain, but I've experienced leg pain due to a heart condition. I had severe leg pain as a child (growing pains; am tall), but then they reappeared later in life when I became symptomatic needing heart surgery. Feels like growing pains or shin splints.

However, my heart conditon is a congenital birth defect, not related to peri. But we aging women are not exempt from heart problems, so I guess I'm just saying to have it checked for your general health.

On a positive note, I suspect it's nothing serious such as this. While I don't experience the redness in face, I do experience hot flashes that feel like my face is on fire! Ugh, lol. Hoping for your relief, ~Karen

Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
(female)

emeraldsea HB Useremeraldsea HB User

Hi IKaz and thanks for the welcome!

You make some excellent points and I agree that a thorough check by a doctor is always a good idea when something pops up that is bothersome and can't be explained away easily. And, it is not uncommon that some women do develop blood pressure and/or heart related issues for the first time in their lives when they are going through peri and/or menopause.

As you said, it's likely not serious, but better to be safe than sorry. Hope all is going well with you!

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-27-2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-30-2010, 08:54 PM   #11
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

I developed high blood pressure since starting peri. I've had a lot of testing done the past 3 years, most recently about a month ago with a full blood workup. Everything is fine. I went to the doctor about my leg pain and swelling and he said he felt it was a combo of things, peri, heat, weight, standing or sitting too much, I have it all. Anyway, he gave me a water pill to take if the swelling gets bad and I'm to see him again in a month to see how I'm doing. He did "check my ticker" and it sounded okay and my blood pressure was 93/60. I am seriously thinking about getting a stress test done this summer sometime. I've never had one and I think maybe I should if nothing more than fpr peace of mind.

Today I mowed for 3 hours (riding lawn mower) then went to the movies for 2. My legs are stiff and my ankles are swollen. I put on support socks as soon as I saw they were swollen. It was almost 90 today too.

You know, it's almost too bad we can't age in reverse. lol

Last edited by KYoung1207; 05-30-2010 at 08:55 PM.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:14 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

LOL, I SO agree with you KYoung1207, wish we COULD age in reverse, lol. ...So you mowed in 90 degree weather? Is this normal exercise/activity for you? Is ironic that your swelling appeared AFTER the mowing. But your blood pressure sounds very good, and a stress test in the future is a great idea. I just took one and did very well on it, considering. ...Well it sounds like you're "on" this thing and taking care. Very glad to hear it. Hope all goes well for you and you find relief! ~Karen

Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

lKaz;

Thanks! I may have him do a sugar test as well, even though I had my glucose level checked during my last blood work. It was high normal and my doc said he wasn't worried about it. I've spent so much money on testing that have all been normal because of this whole peri thing.

Last edited by mod-anon; 05-31-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #14
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

Now I'm wondering if I have PAD or something. My one leg has really bothered me today. I dropped something under my computer desk and when I got down on my knees to pick it up, I got a cramp in my calf so bad I had to jump right back up. At first I thought about it being siatica, but I don't think that causes ankle swelling. Peri has been the cause of all of my problems so far, but I just don't know.

I'm just so paranoid about all of this. All the women in my family have lived into their 90s. My mother is 80 and still going strong. She took Premarin for 25 years btw. But I just don't see me living that long. I just seem to be so unhealthy these days.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Thumbs up Re: Leg Pain...Peri or Something Else

Aw KYoung1207, please try not to worry! I know that's easier said than done, but worry is just our attempt to control what we cannot. I know you've spent a lot of money on testing/doctor's, to just find out it's peri; but the pain, swelling and water retention sounded like something more than that to me (although I'm not a doctor). So it may simply just be extra weight and aging (peri) as your doctor had stated!

I've always said on here that our aging bodies naturally get new aches & pains, with it not necessarily being anything to worry about. And for those of us with extra weight, we may get extra problems. Even then, I'm glad you're doing a stress test soon. That will tell a lot about how you're heart is doing, especially upon exertion, and give you peace of mind to know how your heart is handling all that.

So do take care hun, and seriously try not to worry. If you follow doctor's advise, plus get that stress test.... then you know where you stand. Is better to know, as the not knowing is the worst part.

Closed Thread