It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
(female)

Michelle916 HB User
Perimenopause-PLEASE HELP!! Can't deal with the irratibilty

Hi all, I am new to these boards and I am trying to find some information on Perimenopause and OCP's. I am 38 with POF. My FSH was 25 about 2 yrs ago. And since March I have experienced worsening symptoms of Peri.

I am ready to jump off a bridge soon. Seriously, I cannot tolerate the mood swings. The other symptoms I am dealing with but the irratibility is causing ALOT of problems. I can't even stand myself. I don't know what to do. My Dr. put me on Loestren, it has only been 1 month. The hot flashes are gone but the mood swings are not. She does not want to put me on HRT she said. She said we just need to find an OCP that works.

Maybe I am not giving it enough time or maybe I need something different. Anyone take an OCP that works and how long did it take to work?

Please any advise is much appreciated, I am starting to scare myself with how I feel lately

Michelle

Old 05-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Perimenopause-PLEASE HELP!! Can't deal with the irratibilty

Do you exercise at all? I have found that to be helpful with menopausal symptoms, especially those that are mood related.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was on 2 or 3 different ones over the years. I was already on birth control when I started peri so we jsut changed whenever the one I was one wasn't working any longer. I forget which one I was first on...maybe ortho-tricyclen????

Old 05-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the board, sorry you're not feeling well. Peri/meno can be really a tough ride for some of us.

Has the doc rechecked your hormones yet since starting the pill? Maybe your still not hormonally balanced. I am not quite sure how long it takes for the pills to kick in, but I think that a month would be a long enough time.

Some of the gals on the board have taken mild anxiety meds to help through this transition in our lives, perhaps it may be an option for you to discuss with your doctor.

I know the mood swings can be really hard to handle, I have problems with it myself. Just try to take a deep breath and count to 10 before you respond. Sometimes I have to just walk away before I even open my mouth. I can be happy one minute and then ready to cry the next. All I have to do is give my family "the look" and everyone starts a running!!

I hope you keen on posting here. Alot of us women are going through the exact same things and we're always here to listen!

Hang in there,
Missy

Old 05-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi everyone & welcome to the forum Michelle!
I agree in that perhaps you may not be getting the right balance of hormone's that you need right now. You may want to talk to your doctor about another type of hormone replacement therapy, instead of birth control. I know many women opt for HRT to balance their hormones while going through peri (that no longer need BC to prevent pregnancy).

Also a temporary anxiety med is a good suggestion. I use it and find I only need it about 2-3 days per month. Takes the edge off, lessens anxiety, and I can actually stand myself again (& prevents me from biting other people's heads off as well, eke, lol). And most importantly, just know we can relate with you here, and that you're not alone in this! Luv, ~Karen

Old 05-30-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
(female)

Michelle916 HB User

Thank alot girls. It is nice to have some support. My poor husband and kids do not know what to do with me. I don't like myself like this and I am fighting it but I think I am losing the battle right now.

I am off OCP's right now and in 2wks my Dr. said she wants me to get another FSH level. And then I can restart the pill. I think I do need to give it more time. And I do probably need something for anxiety. Going to try to see my PCP this week.

My Dr. did offer Estrace but I would need Provers also and I am not sure I want to go that route just yet.

Thanks again for the support.

Michelle

Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Good Michele, very good! Sounds like a plan! Keep on keepin on... ~Karen

Closed Thread