It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
(female)

misstlynn HB User
Menopause occular migraine

Does anyone get perimenopause occular migraine. I have been getting occular migraines at least 3 per month. Recently, I got three in one day! This is very scary. I was taking B2 400mg per my neuro doc. This helped for a while but now they are back with a vengence. anyone have this also?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User
Re: Menopause occular migraine

I have ocular migraines (and am menopausal) but I did not connect the two.
In fact, my husband just had one today. I can understand their being annoying.
From what I understand from my eye doctor, they are nothing to be worried about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
I have these too occasionally. Ocular & head migraines. I get a migraine aura that appears too, warning me they're coming (but very uncomfortable; can barely see). Looks like a lightning bolt or zigzag's in my eye(s).

Since I started taking multi-vitamins plus a nutritious breakfast drink they have all but disappeared. I suspect I wasn't getting something I needed into my system before. And as we age, our nutritional needs change. So I increased Niacin, Calcium, continued a multi-vitamin and am taking a baby aspirin a day, along with the drink. This seems to have helped me, as I was prone to skipping breakfast before. Hope this helps you too! ~Karen

Last edited by lKaz; 05-31-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
(female)

misstlynn HB User

I do take a multi vitamin also. I always eat breakfast, usually oatmeal everyday. My periods are all over the place and I think that I may be getting more migraines because of the hormones jumping up and down. It is scary sometimes to get so many a month and also the three in one day! Thanks for your responses. I wish things would settle down instead of getting worse.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
(female)

Shuddertoes HB User

Yes, I had quite a few in my late 40's. Then they disappeared and just lately...10 years later...they've come back. I'm way past menopause, but since I'm still getting the damned hot flashes I guess anything can happen.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies!
Interesting stuff! From the feedback here, you ladies' migraine's do seem peri related. Wonder why mine disappeared with nutrional intake increased... Perhaps I am hypo-glycemic? I've always suspected this for myself. I do still get them very rarely however, seemingly like every six months or so.

Anyway, it's very interesting that your migraines do seem to be related to peri, but they're nothing to worry about according to the one doctor. My son gets migraines regularly, not related to peri of course. So I don't know. Wish I had more answers for you, as I know how painful & disruptive these headaches can be! Ugh.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

I think I may be getting one of these. I have an achy head with that annoying zig zab pattern in my eye. Goody. Something else to have. lol

Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

The headaches I get are exactly as you described KYoung, starting with that zig zag pattern in the eyes. This is a migraine and fortunately for myself, Ibuprophen kicks it in the bud. Sadly, not all others who suffer these are as fortunate and need something stronger for relief.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

HI Ladies: Check out the side-effects of Estrogen Dominance. There's about 40 of them. Migraine and hypoglycemia are on there. I believe they are hormone related. For me, instead of getting migraines or hot flashes I'm getting seizures!!!!!!!!!! It's caused by too much estrogen. It's the toxic world we live in. I know people that have these migraines that ended up taking seizure meds to get rid of them. What does that tell you? They're all related. Hormones regualate your brain more than you may know.

The Following User Says Thank You to 92261 For This Useful Post:
jw90 (09-01-2012)
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
92261, I'm so sorry to hear you get these seizures! That must be terrible for you. So are these permanent? Do you take anything to relieve the estrogen dominance, thus relieving your seizures? I'm just curious as to how that all goes down for you. This seems to be an extreme symptom of meno to me. But I have had a feeling & heard somewhere that migraines with zig zag patterns in the eyes, are somehow linked to the same thing that causes seizures. However, I haven't really researched this, so I can't say for sure. I will try to look into this more. Thank you for your feedback!

Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

Ikaz: I was in a hormone study in 2007 where an endocrinologist got a grant from the NIH to study 400 women with this problem and he was able to determine the estrogen dominance as being the culprit. He treats the seizures with Lupron shots which lower the estrogen levels. Lupron is used in fertility treatments and in men with prostate cancer. High estrogen is a culprit of many cancers. Because my ovaries are shutting down and I'm having non-ovulatory cycles it's increasing the estrogen in me. I'm also on 600 mg of a progesterone lozenge every day.

I've had 6 shots so far. I'm still having the seizures but I feel more aware of them happening now. I told the doctors 5 years ago when this started that it had something to do with my cycle and they wouldn't believe me. All they wanted to do was drug me with AED's and they don't work - because it's hormonal!!!!!!!! I'm not a doctor but I live with it! I've also become overly sensitive to smells like perfume, cigarettes, fires burning, gas fumes, exhaust fumes, and cleaning chemicals.

Just this past Mon. I had a bad reaction while getting into a friends car. I couldn't breathe. It was like an asthmatic reaction to something they cleaned the carpets with. It burned the back of my throat and my lung was killing me. I managed to make it through the day. Today, Thursday, I can still feel tenderness there when I touch it. I looked up plurisy but I don't think that's what it is. I read in Dr. Lee's book that the estrogen dominance and menopause can increase asthma and allergies. I'm getting it all around!!!! I can't win.

I'm having a problem with loud music too because of tinnitus. I have to put earplugs in my ears at church. Everything is driving me crazy and I'm driving everyone else crazy with all these things going on with my head and body. I'm just a headcase these days.
I guess this is why they call it the CHANGE OF LIFE!!!! I'm told that it will pass once menopause is over, but when? 10 years from now!!

I had cousins, all 3 sisters, that either had migraines or epilepsy. The one with the migraines said they went away once menopause was over but then she developed Sjogren's Syndrome. I've got the dry eyes that go along with that but the dry eyes is also a symptom of the ED. It's going to be a long road for me. I just hope I don't lose it before I get better. Keep me in your prayers. Thanks.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Lightbulb Re: Menopause occular migraine

You are definitely in my prayers 92261! Don't lose it and stay strong! You have to be! We all have our own crosses to bear, so-to-speak, which does make us even stronger & better people after having gone through it. We just have to face them and deal with it, one thing, one day at a time. And think positive, that the light at the end of the tunnel will come for you sooner than later!

Old 07-02-2010, 08:23 PM   #13
(female)

menicrazy HB User

Me too! I am 42 and have been getting them for a year!

Old 08-15-2010, 06:04 AM   #14
(female)

swampygirl HB User

Hi
I'm in the swing of the menopause and I get ocular migraines and it never crossed my mind there may be a connection between the two until I saw your posting. Maybe there is a link?? I agree they are frightening. When I had my first, I panicked as my vision gradually decreased til I could hardly see and at that time hadn't had it confirmed by my doctor. As I have a eye problems since birth the first thing I thought was I'm going blind. When I get one now I go and lay down until it passes. I've had four in one day but that has only happened once. Usually it's twice in a day and I may not get another one for a few weeks or could be a few days. God bless!

Old 09-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
(female)

tatsu15 HB User

Hi

I'm 36 and nowhere near menopause but I started getting ocular migraines during my second pregnancy (I got alot in my third trimester). They completely went away 16 months postpartum... right after I delivered. BUT now they are back and I am not pregnant. But here is the thing... I get them in the middle of the night while I'm asleep! I know this cause when I wake up sometimes I see the zigzag and fuzzy/shaky vision and even with my eyes closed I still see the zigzags I also have a bad case of TMJ and some ppl suggested that may be causing my ocular migraines. I had MRI of my brain without contrast and they said my brain looks good.

Last edited by tatsu15; 09-21-2010 at 01:42 PM.

Closed Thread