It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
(female)

SPORT46 HB User
Question Perimenopause? Insomnia & nervousness

I'm 49, and still get regular periods on a mostly consistent cycle. Are these due to periomenopause:

chronic insomnia for the past 6-9 months.
I have to have the fan on my face, and the window wide open.
Lowered libido.

The worse part of it is the insomnia. I take valerian & trazadone to get to sleep and that is the only combo that works for me. Last night I took 9mg melatonin and i was still awake all night. I was hoping to change to that but it's not working,

Will either Remifemin or Soy Isoflavines help me? Which do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Perimenopause? Insomnia & nervousness

Hi SPORT46!
The insomnia, hot spells & lowered libido are common symptoms of peri-menopause. How long has the hot spells & lower libido been going on? Same as the insomnia? They are most likely related.

There's a new herbal sleep formula in stores now, I'd try that first for your sleep problem. Going the natural route when possible is the safest, as I'm sure you don't want to become dependent on those other prescription med's for sleep. However, you may need prescription help later, if the natural remedies don't work for you. And that is okay too. Personally I tried the soy and couldn't stand the taste, no matter how masked I made it. And I'm not familiar with the other you mentioned.

Hopefully this shall pass sooner than later for you, and not be an ongoing problem. I do understand what you're feeling however, as I'm going through it too. I suspect irregular periods or it just stopping altogether is in your future as well. I experienced what you are for two years before my periods changed. But each women IS different as to what & when she experiences these symptoms of peri. Good luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

Hi, I think they all started about 6-9 months ago, but I don't know if the insomnia is related to the peri. or not. I've had insomnia bouts in the past, but this is the most chronic. The valerian is natural, & trazadone is an antidepressant which helps me get to sleep. Even so, my sleep is not the deep dreaming type, and I do not feel like i'm getting a good night's restful sleep

Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Sport,

Yes, unfortunately insomnia is very common in peri. I usually sleep about 4 hours a night and am constantly tired.

Soy insoflavones (pretty much the same as Remifren) can help with menopausal symptoms.

I take the Estroven extra strength which is pretty much a multi vitamin with soy, black cohosh and calming herbs and it does seem to help some.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Last edited by missy222; 05-31-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi again ladies!
SPORT46, since you're taking these sleep aids, you ought to be getting enough sleep. I was just wondering if you've ever had your oxygen levels checked while you sleep? One simply wears a finger monitor for one night of testing. The point is that Sleep Apnea is a common cause for lack of a good night's sleep, and isn't limited to snoring men. It's where the breathing stops altogether during the night (often frequently), therefore causing a lack of oxygen in the system, which in turn leads to still feeling tired during the day.

Just a thought for you to consider. I preferred the finger monitor vs a sleep study, simply because I chose not to do that. This test was enough to diagnose me. So I surely hope you find solutions, because I know what it feels like to still feel tired when awake and it's definitely no fun! My heart goes out to you! Praying for your relief, ~Karen

Old 06-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

Pebbles03 HB User

Hi Sport I'm 46 and just in May started getting bad perimenapause symptoms. Last night I only slept 2 hrs ugg!!! I usually take some melatonin but didn't last night. I don't think it would have helped any. I hate the way I feel. I got some natural progesterone it has helped some but it still sucks
I went off of the progesterone for 7 days before my period but then it never came. I'm going back on it and see how I feel. I don't feel like doing anything it's terrible.
Pebbles03

Closed Thread