It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
(female)

KaliGirl HB User
Menopause Question (fsh level)

Hi! I had my FSH level tested back in October 2009 and it came back high. My dr stated she wanted to test it again in 6 months. FSH level still high. I was told I should not be having a period at all, that I was menopausal. I always thought to be considered in menopause you had to go 12 months without a period. I started nightsweats about 3 years ago and those have since gone away. I have other symptoms like depression, anxiety, occasional day sweats etc. I missed my period in October and I thouht I might be pregnant...negative. From oct on I had periods until I missed April and I had a period in may. What constitutes menopause vs perimenopause? Why does my dr say I should not be having periods. I thought there was a symptom of irregular periods. Can anyone please explain this to me. My periods are not extremely heavy or anything like that.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Menopause Question (fsh level)

Hi Kaligirl,

Just because you have a high FSH level doesn't mean that you are in menopause. High FSH levels can occur through the transition of perimenopause. Menopause occurs after 12 months of no menses. Women who are going through peri can also experience high FSH. It just means that you're pituitary glands are not producing hormones like they used to.

All women are different so it's hard to say about irregular periods, some woman have completely normal cycles without any fluctuation and just stop altogether and others have irregular cycles prior to beginning meno.

Hope this helps a little,
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies!
Well said Missy! The bottom line here is that you are peri-menopausal KaliGirl. It's all menopause, the before (peri), and the after (post). The peri (pre) part of menopause is where our symptoms start (and can last for years), and the post-menopause phase is as Missy stated, when the periods stop for 12 consecutive months. Women vary and can experience meno symptoms peri & post-meno. But we are all considered, "Menopausal," or as "going through menopause."

Your doctor is right here in that you are menopausal. The only reason you're not diagnosed post-menopausal is because you've continued to have a period. Sounds like you're having a time of it, just like the rest of us. I sought help on this forum because my peri symptoms are extreme. Obviously this is no fun for any of us, lol!

You're lucky that your high FSH showed up, since our hormones flucuate so much during peri, it's hard to tell for some women. You have a conclusive diagnosis to which I'd be grateful for. Your levels and lightening periods indicate to me that you're on the end of it. Yay! That's good news! Hopefully these light periods and the continued day flashes, etc., will go away soon!

Last edited by lKaz; 06-01-2010 at 07:18 PM.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
(female)

KaliGirl HB User

Thank you for your input. It has made me feel better. I am having a rough time! My hair has thinned, I think I may have an issue with my gallbladder at the moment, my digestive tract seems whacked out of shape. The worst of it was the anxiety problems. My dr put me on a "happy pill" and it seems to have helped me a ton! Thank goodness. I guess I can say that my symptoms from all of this have been serious. I hope it's coming to an end I just want "ME" back!! Again, thank you for the your input.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
(female)

KaliGirl HB User

One more question...has anyone used Macafem? Is it safe? I just started using it about a week ago. Just curious

Old 06-02-2010, 07:01 AM   #6
(female)

KaliGirl HB User

Ok so now I'm just confused! I thought I was having gallbladder problems so i had an abdominalultrasound done. Results all is fine no liver or gallbladder problems. Some foods seem to really bother me and I can have pains at my ribcage, lowerback, and I even had an incident where I woke up and it felt like my bloodsugar was low. My digestive tract seems all messed up. Can all of this be due to hormonal changes in my body? I feel like I'm going crazy now. I hate dr's but I find myself asking my dr's to do other tests on me...

Old 06-02-2010, 08:50 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Kaligirl,

You are definetly perimenopausal because you are doing exactly what the rest of us are doing. The health anxiety around every corner. I feel like I am suffering from something new every week. Stomach issues, yes I have been there and still continue with them. Hair, mine is falling out like crazy. All of this is related to hormones. We just start worrying about everything!!! Know that you're not alone, all of us here on the boards are worried about something or we wouldn't be posting. It's good to be able to talk about it with other women who are experiencing the same thing.

Hang in there my friend,
Missy

Closed Thread