It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

singersongwritr HB User
Re: Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

Since I last posted re: digestive issues with perimenopause, I have been able to regulate some of my symptoms by cutting portion sizes, eliminating heavy or fatty foods, and giving my system a rest every few days and eating only rice and other easy to digest foods. Other perimenopausal symptoms have been surfacing, tho. The latest is daily, persistent headaches. They are about a 3 or 4 on a 10 scale, and neither aspirin nor non aspirin pain releivers get rid of them. I finally went to my GP, and she is sending me for bloodwork and a CT Scan, just to rule out other causes.

She does conceed that they could well be part of perimenopause. Is anyone else having these headaches? They are mostly in my temples...sometimes more prominent on one side ...sometimes radiating up to the crown. They don't prevent me from daily events, nor from falling asleep, but they are omnipresent, and, as such, a distraction, annoyance and a worry.

I have to say, so far perimenopause has been a complete drag! I seem to be getting every possible symptom, and I can honestly say that i just never feel good anymore!! As much as I would not wish this on anyone else, it's so good to have others who share in the distress of it and understand. Since, understanding and empathy at home are in very short supply.

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-07-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Headaches with Perimenopause??

Hi singersongwritr, welcome to the forum if I hadn't said so before.
While I don't get the chronic headaches like yours, I do still get severe one's occasionally. Ibuprohen has always worked for my headaches, but I do know others aren't so lucky. I hope your doctor can find answers and/or give you relief if nothing else.

And please know you're not alone in this. We are all here to help, all going through the same stuff. I for one know how you're feeling. Lately I've been having hot flashes that are wild! Plus I've missed my period at it's scheduled time again. Hm. What a roller coaster ride huh? Lol. I have to laugh about it, because I've already cried enough in life, and life's too short!
In this with you,
~Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

Singer.....I get headaches that seem like a crown as well, though mine usually starts in my neck. My neck will get stiff and hurt, then sometimes I'll get the headache like you describe. I've had it for about 3 years, though tylenol works for me, I didn't want to have to take it so much, so I started going to a chiropractor and having my neck and back adjusted and it worked wonders for me. I still have it occasionally, but it's not near as bad as it was.

I haven't been to the chiro for 2 months and I'm getting the stiffness back. A month ago is when I started feeling the crawls in my legs as well, so maybe this is a sign for me to go back.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User
Re: Anyone have digestive trouble with Perimenopause??

Hi KYoung!
I am so glad I came on and read your post today. Not that I'm glad you're having these headaches but I am experiencing exactly the same thing. Daily headaches, annoying but not excruciating, but nothing I take gets rid of them. Many days it's there from the minute I get up in the morning. I totally agree with you that this perimenopause stuff stinks and it seems like every time I turn around I have a new symptom. It's always a relief to read that someone else is having the same thing going on, too. Again, not that I wish this on anyone else, but it's great that we can all share our experiences and know that we can get thru this together!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

singer and friends: I've written about this before on other posts. Look up Estrogen Dominance. There are around 40 symptoms of it and headaches is on there. Hypoglycemia is on there too *( low blood sugar) and a side-effect of that is headaches. It's all hormonal. It's all in Dr. John Lee's books "what your doctor won't tell you about premenopause" and another one on "menopause".

You might benefit from getting some progesterone cream and rubbing some on your wrists before you go to bed. Also, reducing sugars, caffeine, getting enough sleep, keeping your stress down, exercising, and taking Vit B12, B6, magnesium and selenium could be helpful.

Alot of women going through menopause get migraines and they're related to the epileptic seizures, which I ended up getting, and it's all caused by the estrogen dominance. Migraine sufferers are prescribed seizure meds!!!!

Are any of you sensitive to smells these days? I can't stand being around perfume, cigarettes, smoke, gas, diesel fumes, you name it. Even loud noises and commotion bother me. I've got tinnitus on top of it all. Dr. Lee's book talks about the xenoestrogens that increase the estrogens in our bodies. Red meat (filled with hormones), plastics, emulsifiers found in soaps and cosmetics, PCB's, solvents and adhesives, petrochemically derived pesticides, herbicides and fungicides, fingernail polish and polish remover. I can't even clean my bathroom anymore with heavy duty cleaners.
I've resorted to cleaning with peroxide and baking soda.

Think about it. I don't want to scare alot of you but this is what we're dealing with in this toxic world we live in. It catches up to you and messes with your brain and messes with the hormones that control your brain more than you know. Do some research on Dr. Lee's books. Take care.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
(female)

drjmc HB User

I really hope this can help because it helped me immensely. As I moved into perimenopause at age 43 last year, I began having headaches so bad they were debilitating. I've had migraines--but these were worse and, the worst part, they lasted for days. I was in terrible pain and so uncomfortable, plus other symptoms (uncontrollable hunger, fatigue, no focus).

I had read about soy protein for perimenopause--so I tried it (I was about to try anything except hormones, which I had already tried and had a terrible experience with). It has changed my life--my symptoms are all but gone!

I now take 25 grams of soy protein a day.

<edited>

I mix it with juice or almond milk and flavoring.

Of course, every woman is different but this has made all the difference for me. I have not had headaches; I have more energy; and I am not hungry all the time. It has other benefits too, which my cholesterol numbers showed at my last exam.

I feel for what you're going through and hope that this will help you too!

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-12-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

drjmc: You're lucky with the soy. It's got the opposite effect on me. It's a phytoestrogen and increases the amount of estrogen in your body. I just read about it in a book called "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. It says: Soy isoflavones, found in most soy products, are compounds that resemble estrogen, and in fact bind to human estrogen receptors. But it is unclear whether these so-called phytoestrogens actually behave like estrogen in the body or only fool it into thinking they're estrogen. Either way the phytoestrogens might have an effect (good or bad) on the growth of certain cancers, the symptoms of menopause, and the function of the endocrine system.

Because of these uncertainties, the FDA has declined to grant GRAS ( generally regarded as safe) status to soy isoflavones used as a food additive. A scientist a the FDA's National Center for Toxicological Research wrote: "Confidence that soy products are safe is clearly based more on belief than hard data." Until those data come in, I feel more comfortable eating soy prepared in the traditional Asian style than according to novel recipes developed by processors like Archer Daniels Midland.

I can't eat tuna fish anymore because they process it with soybean oil now. I even noticed on the mayonnaise jar the other day that it's made with soybean oil now. Because I've got estrogen dominance this stuff is making it worse for me. I just spoke to my doctor about it yesterday and she agreed. Everything is Soy, Soy, Soy, these days and it's gotten out of hand and is making me sicker.

I'm glad you've gotten help from it. I guess you must have been lacking in estrogen which is sometimes the case and that's why women go on HRT to get the estrogen they need. I'm taking progesterone and Lupron to get the estrogen levels in me down. The estrogen dominance has caused me to have epileptic seizures starting at menopause. It's a nightmare!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #8
(female)

drjmc HB User

Good to know this, and to know what worked for me may not work for everyone (especially with too much estrogen). Actually a woman at Whole Foods that helped me recently said she is recommending the Asian-style soy rather than processed too. Which I guess makes sense considering that women in Asia have low menopausal symptoms.

Closed Thread