It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2010, 09:42 AM   #1
(female)

luvmyfamily924 HB User
What happens if you don't go on Hrt?

Hi there.

I had found a thread that I replied to and I guess it was very old. Here is my question re HRT:

"If one decides not to take HRT, can we get through menopause and come out ok? I always thought our body would be lacking something that would throw us over the edge and wind up looney or causing other health conditions."
sincerely,
LMF

PLEASE.... CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT HAPPENS IF ONE DOESN'T GO ON HRT?

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-15-2010 at 01:24 PM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: What happens if you don't go on Hrt?

Nothing except that the symptoms drag on for 2 or 3 years and then they are gone. Some lucky women get thru with no or few symptoms. Most of us don't.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi LMF, everyone!
I cannot go on HRT for health reasons and am going through meno au naturale'. Yes it has lasted for about 3 years now, give or take, but I've just used things other than HRT to alleviate symptoms <edited>>.

Plus I feel even if I could go on HRT, I'd still go the natural route. How many years of women of old have done this? Many! I truly believe it's our bodies natural process as is aging, with new aches & pains not necessarily meaning anything is seriously wrong with us healthwise.

It is modern medicine (as well as new age herbs) that have enabled us current day women to alleviate symptoms better. In addition, HRT is risky simply because it can cause blood clots, heart attack etc. Women who take this know the risks and must be in good health to do so. Plus there are now safer relief remedies such as progesterone cream, etc. And we can also now take vitamin supplements our aging bodies lack, such as extra Calcium & Magnesium for example.

Well that's my two cents worth LMF, lol, hope this finds you well and that you can sort this out for yourself. In this together, ~Karen

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-15-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: edit

Old 06-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

All very true. However, for those of us who have many plant allergies, herbal remedies aren't always the answer either. Some herbs are related to other plants that cause allergies. For example, someone allergic to ragweed should not take echinnacea (sp) for colds as they are from the same family - I found that out the hard way! There is also a correlation between birch trees and one of the nuts(I think hazelnuts but forget for sure). It takes a lot of work to sort all that out.

Anyway, I'm on HRT because I have no other health risks, was on bcp for years with no problems and I have a gyno physical every year with pap, mammo, etc. My symptoms were horrendous - so much so that my husband threatened to lock up the kitchen knives!

Old 06-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hrt is just delaying the inevitable unless you're going to stay on it forever.
it's the diminishing of our hormones that cause the symptoms, once the hormones are actually gone, then the symptoms too are gone (for the vast majority of women).
if you take hrt to relieve symptoms and then stop taking it, for whatever reason, then your body still has to get used to not having those hormones and you will most likely get some symptoms until your body settles down.
as has been said, nothing happens if you don't take hrt, you just go through menopause the natural way. most of the ladies i know haven't taken hrt (myself included) and no-one has yet 'gone loopy' or had any other health problems. neither did i take any herbal things, just a supplement containing calcium, vitamins, etc.
it's really down to personal choice and doctors advice.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
(female)

KYoung1207 HB User

I'm trying to get through this without anything. It's hard, but I just don't want to delay the inevitable. My mother was on Premarin for 25 years. Never hurt her a bit and when she went off, she did it gradual and it didn't bother her. She had a hysty though at around 40. I haven't had one so it scares me to go on it due to increased chances of different cancers.

I know women who have had hysties and aren't on HRT and they're doing better than me!

Old 06-16-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
(female)

luvmyfamily924 HB User

Thank you ladies for the input on not taking HRT. I, if I can help it, have no intentions going on HRT. I take supplements and when I feel looney, I just take a minute to unwind and I even do some breathing exercises and that calms me down.
Best regards,
LMF

Old 06-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #8
(female)

Boaty HB User

My doctor said he would wean me off HRT so that I don't experience the negative (natural?) side effects of menopause. I certainly hope it works!

Old 06-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi boaty, welcome to the forum.
I think you have a very good doctor! I've heard of some doctors' taking women off HRT cold-turkey, with the women having some bad withdrawal effects. Not all who go off experience them however. As far as natural symptoms of peri/meno, it varies from woman to woman and only time will tell for you. Of course I'm hoping for your sake that you've gone through the worst of it! Thanks for sharing!

P.S. I'm SO glad to hear your news LMF! I hope you've gone through the worst of it as well, and can be symptom-free. If not, there are some great natural remedies out there; plus, we're always here for you (& everyone)!

And to KYoung, two of my sisters had "hysties" as you put it, and not on HRT either, having no peri/meno symptoms whatsoever as well! Hm. They the lucky ones!

Last edited by lKaz; 06-19-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: added P.S.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
(female)

AThena53 HB UserAThena53 HB User

I'm 57 and never touched HRT- didn't like the idea. I get mild hot flashes, which I pretty much ignore. My mother says she still gets them, so those may be permanent. I don't care. I take calcium and other supplements and exercise every day- did a mini-triathlon last week (1/3 mile swim, 9 miles on the bike, 2.4 mile run). My main complaint is dryness "down there", which I deal with using an estrogen ointment. Life is good.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:13 PM   #11
(female)

luvmyfamily924 HB User

Thank you all for your input regarding my dilemma. I definitely will stay away from HRT. I don't feel too bad and the hot flashes have disappeared... probably temporarily.... but haven't had any in about a little over a month. My problem is the anxiety and the feeling weird in the afternoon. No doctor has ever done a hormone test. Is menopause considered to be when you stop having periods or after a year of no periods? That's how much I know about this stuff. I was peri menopause for who knows how long and didn't even know it.

Athena53....YOU GO GIRL!!!!

Thanks ladies,
LMF

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-28-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

i didn't ever have a hormone test as i didn't see the point. i didn't want hrt, and due to my age and odd periods it all just added up to menopause, i didn't need a blood test to tell me.
you're right, 'menopause' is that twelve months after your last ever period, 'peri' is the years leading up to it, and 'post-menopause' is what you are after that magic twelve months has passed. worth remembering is that sometimes you can go 12, 14, 16, 18 months or more without a period and then suddenly have one again....and have to start counting again!
the last period i ever had, in february 2006, was nothing remarkable, just a run-of-the-mill ordinary period, not heavier or lighter or shorter or longer, nothing to indicate that it would be the last one i would ever have.
and i too had never heard of 'peri' until i joined these boards in april 2006, i don't think it's a term widely used in the uk.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:54 PM   #13
(female)

luvmyfamily924 HB User

Oh I hope I never have another period. I am soooo happy not having had one in about 10 months that if one showed up I'd go psycho. But I'm dealing so many emotions and anxiety that I don't know what to do anymore except keep on keeping on. I just wish I didn't need to take anxiety meds since I saw how my mom depended on them for anxiety and depression for over 60 years.
take care over there in the uk. A friend in Arizona,
LMF

Last edited by mod-anon; 06-30-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 06-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi
LMF I can SO relate with hoping to not have another period! I'm going on 2 months missing them... and am anxious for them to stop completely! LOL. But as you well know, it's all so unpredictable, darn it, lol. And don't feel bad about having to take anti-depressant/anxiety meds. Some of us just need them. Doesn't make us bad or crazy or whatever! To be honest, I've always thought my mother needed to be on them, but she never has.

I liked how you posted that you just have to "keep on keepin on." That's it! We just have to recognize our symptoms for what they are and deal with it. We all have our "meno moments," lol. Some not so pretty, lol! And personally I find accepting it and laughing about it gives me a lot of relief too!
In this together, ~Karen

Closed Thread