It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2010, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

dreamingoutloud HB User
Very irregular periods....11 months in between...help!!

Hi!

I'm 48 years old...and haven't had a period in about 11 months....until yesterday! I was so surprised when the bleeding began...at first I thought that it might just be a bit of spotting, but nope...today...full blown everything....bleeding, terrible cramps, headachey, backache...etc.

I've been told that I have fibroids...but would they cause me to stop having periods for almost a year?? I thought that I might be on my way to beginning menopause, even though I'm two years younger than my mother was when she went through it.

My question is....does anyone think that this could be dangerous...or perhaps i'm just perimenopausal? The cramps are really bad...the bleeding's a normal amount for a period...but it's just so weird that I haven't had one for so long....and here it is...

On the one hand I feel like this is a sign that my body is healthy and back to functioning normally....but why wasn't it doing so for the previous 11 months?

Thanks in advance for anyone's input...

I'm just scratching my head here...because this feels so weird! lol

I guess I should get in to see the gyn, huh? What sorts of tests do you think might be ordered for this symptom?

Thanks again!!

----dream

Old 06-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: Very irregular periods....11 months in between...help!!

Hi Dream!
A woman is medically considered to have gone through menopause (post-meno), after not having a period for 12 consecutive months. Geez girl! You almost made it!

I seriously wouldn't worry, as this is very likely due to the change of life as you suspect. Have you had any other symptoms such as hot flashes or night sweats? I've experienced these to the extreme unfortunately. Some women don't however. And I've missed a period again this month. But I know how unpredictable peri-meno can be, so I never know if it's going to come back or not. Plus I also have fibroids, making my periods unbearable when I do have them. Very common. Fibroids aren't serious and won't cause your periods to stop, they just make them more painful when you do have them.

It's just our fluctuating hormones during this stage of life Dream, that makes it all so unpredictable. You most likely are totally healthy and it's just this natural fluctuation going on. Of course it's always good to see the gyno to make sure nothing is wrong, and to give peace of mind. Thanks for sharing & know you're not alone in this! ~Karen

Last edited by lKaz; 06-20-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: addition

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread