It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2010, 01:10 AM   #1
(female)

jennkhay HB User
how long do shorter cycles usually last?

Hi

I am 45 years old and I have noticed that my cycles have been gradually getting shorter. Up until about 40 my period was always about 31-33 days apart. The last few years it has been closer to 28 days but the last few months more like 22-24 days. I am just wondering how long these shorter cycles are likely to last before I start skipping periods? It is rather annoying as my period usually lasts a week and are quite painful for the first day or two. I have used an ovulation test kit and it seems I am ovulating on about day 8 at the moment. I really want to do this naturally if possible. Has anyone found natural progesterone cream helped with regulating cylces again. I am also finding I am not sleeping as well as I use to, finding it difficult to go to sleep sometimes and others wake up about 4.30am and can't get back to sleep. No sweats or flushes as yet though. Oh the joys of peri-menopause.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: how long do shorter cycles usually last?

Hi jennkhay, glad you're here!
All I can tell you is that my cycles were pretty much the same as yours when I started peri-menopause at age 44. The night sweats started at this time with the hot flashes following later. It was at age 46 that my periods began missing, then spotting, then back to regular again. I, too, have painful periods but the pain lasts for 4-5 days for myself (having fibroids, which isn't anything serious). I am now missing again this month, but have the cramping and breast pain the normally goes with it. My point is that it's all very unpredictable, menstrual schedule's and all.

It's obvious by your post that you know what is happening. This is very good! Peri can be a roller coaster ride, while others breeze right throught it. Progesterone cream is to help ease meno symptoms only, not for menstrual regulation. And sleep problems are also very common in peri. There's a new herbal sleep aid on the market in your vitamin section that I've heard works well. And of course there's always the prescription sleep aids available. Hope you find relief because I know this is no fun! Thank you for sharing & let us know how it goes for you if you will. ~Karen

Last edited by lKaz; 06-27-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread