It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
(female)

sbiggieri HB User
anxiety

I have been in menopause since 2006. I am having anxiety and have been put on an antidepressent. is anxiety normal?

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User
Re: anxiety

I think it is. I have severe anxiety and sometimes even panic attacks. I've read some threads on this board and it seems as if anxiety is common during menopause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies!
As already stated here, anxiety & even panic attacks ARE very common in peri/meno women. Go read the thread, "Peri-M and need something for anxiety!!!;" as we've been talking about that very issue there with some good suggestions for relief. Good luck to you!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
(female)

JuneLives HB User

I suffer from Anxiety Disorder, ......... but this menopause thing has me 100 times worse!!! I can tell the difference and it is a battle for me. That is why I am online right now... trying to get my mind off of things that are bothering me and trying to keep my mind going and busy.

Blessings..... Carolyn

Old 07-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi Carolyn,
I suffer a panic disorder too and am wondering if you take anything for it? I found paxil works very well for myself (it is specifically designed to combat anxiety as well as depression). And I have tried several others (one made me feel like a zombie, another made me crave carb's and I gained a lot of weight, and yet another even made me feel suicidal while on it, eke! And I've never been that way my whole life)! However, since we are all unique, what works good for one person may not for another.

I've realized taking this has also been helping me with peri-meno anxiety, specifically after reading what other peri women are suffering. While I do still get very minor anxiety (only since peri started), I find it to be nothing big (as like in the past). However, if you are taking something for your panic disorder, there are other options. Like trying a different medication, upping your dosage, or adding something natural like L-Theanine (a calming herb, also used to help sleep problems).

All suggestions for you to consider. I know what panic/anxiety feels like and it is definitely no picnic! I hope you find relief, feel better soon, and know you're not alone! Take care & God bless, ~Karen

Old 07-10-2010, 10:08 AM   #6
(female)

JuneLives HB User

Good Morning!!! I am on a Fluoxetine-a generic form of Prozac. I take 80 mg.-the maximum dosage. It really does not seem to work much anymore. I was on Effexor, but that was just too much for me (the side effects). I have Oaxapam (sp?) to take for Anxiety.... but I do not want to take it too often. I am afraid of getting addicted to it. Plus I do not have Insurance and have to pay for all of my medications.

I just looked up the L-Theanine you and others suggested, so I think I will try to go to look for it tomorrow. I would like to try that.

Thank you for all of your posts and suggestions. I really like having a place to come to and knowing I am not alone and I am not going crazy.

Blessings..... Carolyn

Old 07-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #7
(female)

tweezer HB User

Hi IKaz,

I too am suffering with anxiety. I was put on effexor and it does seem to help. I do still get panic attacks, but I've gotten to the point where I can work my way through them by just calming myself and breathing through it. They won't hurt you and as awful as they feel, if you can just get your mind around the awfulness of it and breath, you'll get there!!

Take care..

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
(female)

JuneLives HB User

I try the breathing techniques, but they do not seem to work......... I must be doing something wrong, as I know many that say they work.

Suggestions please???

Blessings..... Carolyn

Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
Thank you for sharing that tweezer, good stuff! And to Carolyn (1 of my sis's names also, lol), Prozac is the one that made me feel like a zombie! It did help at first, but then later the side-effects outweighed the goodness of it. This is just my personal experience.

There's also a thing called "a here & now check," that a counselor I had years ago taught me. When in panic/anxiety mode, you're to sit down and state everything that's in the room in your mind (to stop the mind chatter, which I call "the committee, lol). And to deep breath, always going back to what's in the room (& not in your mind). It's all about focusing on the present moment, to stop thinking about all the "what if's" and the projecting into the future. This does take practice. And now I've gotten to the point where I just tell the "committee" to shut up, lol!

Good luck to both of you and God bless, ~Karen

Last edited by lKaz; 07-10-2010 at 05:22 PM. Reason: edit

Old 07-10-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
(female)

JuneLives HB User

Thank you...... I am going to try focusing on things in the room I am in at the time. I hate that 'Mind Chatter"!!!

Blessings.... Carolyn

Closed Thread