It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User
Trying to survive perimenopause

Hi! I guess I just want to say what a relief it is to read about others going thru the same things that I am experiencing! I am 45 and have been dealing with many peri symptoms for about 3 yrs. now. Any weird new symptom or sensation I get I just blame on peri anymore! I think the hardest one for me is the anxiety. That has been an ongoing problem throughout my life but the last 3 yrs. it has been off the charts. The constant worrying, etc. is really wearing me down. I try to keep it under control and logically I know what's causing it, but the bad thoughts and feelings just take over. I tried daily Paxil but didn't like the side effects -- went from already low libido to NO libido. Couldn't do that to my husband with all he already has to put up with -- mood swings, irritability, night sweats, etc. lol So I take Ativan occasionally when it gets really bad but wondered if there are any natural, non-addictive remedies for anxiety that have worked for anyone out there??? And again, thanks to all of you for putting your very personal stories out there so we can all share and get through this together!!! It really does help put the mind at ease to know there are a lot more of me out there!!!

Old 07-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #2
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User
Re: Trying to survive perimenopause

I can relate to you. I have also had anxiety throughout my life, but nothing like I have now. The anxiety is worst in the morning when I wake up, sometimes I have to take it one hour at a time. I also have panic attacks occasionally. I have tried a few different medications, but couldn't handle the side effects. When it gets bad I take valium and that helps. I also have a lot of joint pain, sometimes I can barely move my hands or feet.
It helps to read posts on this board because it makes you realize that you are not alone in feeling bad, it is part of getting older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
Another woman on this forum before had recommended a calming herb now on the market called L-Theanine. There's also a new herbal sleep aid out there with this in it. Since you're looking for something natural, thought I suggest this too. Plus for joint pain, might I suggest you buy some of that drink (or in pill form), that has condroitin and glucosamine in it. Is specifically for joint pain only. Personally, I've only had joint pain in my ankles from injuries in youth, plus a broken coccyx (tailbone). They do aggravate me however, so I purchased a memory foam mattress and it has made ALL the difference in the world! I luv it, lol. Good luck & God bless, ~Karen

Old 07-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

I've had depression and anxiety all my life. I read recently that if that's the case, then the mood symptoms of peri will probably be the worst of your symptoms. Boy, were they right! I never had mood swings until 3 years ago, though. Personally, I think I can tolerate the depression better than the mood swings. At least the depression is consistent and my husband and I know what to expect! With the mood swings, I find myself 'ducking' from myself even. Anyway, valerian works great for me for anxiety and rapid hearbeat. You can get it at any health store. It's inexpensive too. I buy the extract capsules. By the way, I just turned 40 and have been going through peri for the past 3 years. Take care and hang tough. Lots of support on this board.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely try it! I'm up for anything at this point. I know what you mean about the mood swings. It's amazing how quickly you can change, isn't it?? I've seen the looks on other people's faces sometimes when I'm at my worst and I just want to scream "I'm sorry! I really can't help it!" Anyway, I'll give the valerian a shot. If it works a lot of people will be grateful -- not just me! lol

Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 AM   #6
(female)

SPORT46 HB User

I agree, Valerian is wonderful. I take it every night to help me sleep. It stinks though! but worth it. I'm in peri, i must be, I'm 49 1/2... I have more anxiety than i did this time last year.... worrying alot.. so much so that I can' hardly get a good night sleep. I've had the worst insomnia of my life this past year. My periods are still pretty regular, but this month i am 2 weeks late, and I don't feel like it's coming any day soon... this time last year I was getting two periods a month... My mom was in menopause at about 52, so i guess that might be my fate too.

Closed Thread