It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
(female)

godzpeach HB User
36, peri menopause

I started having what seemed out of this world pms at the end of last year. Palpitations that only happen around my period. I had anxiety issues for several years after the deaths of my Mom and brother but have gotten much better over the last few years. Well, it felt like I had anxiety all over again once a month in the days just before my period and a few days through my period. One doctor said nothing was wrong with me. Then later one actually did blood work and found my iron was low so put me on lovely iron pills and said my "mood" was caused by low iron. Then I happened to see a different Dr for a follow up my regular Dr couldn't do. She was the first to really listen to me and said she seriously believes I've begun peri menopause. I actually wonder if this started sooner than I think and just didn't know it was this. She gave me ativan to take as needed for my nerves which I took several years ago for the anxiety. My period is still pretty regular but heavier and a few months ago I had spotting between cycles which I have never had before. She wouldn't do any blood work to check because she said it probably wouldn't show anything cause it's too early but I would like to have it done just to see what it shows. I was honestly feeling like a crazy lady for awhile till I found a really awesome older lady to talk to! This is horrible!! The last 2 months weren't bad but I'm due to start my periond today actually and the last few days have been terrible! I'm just trying not to bite anybody's head off.

My symptoms vary with-
anxiety (jittery, on edge)
faster heart rate at times
lack of concentration
short fuse
fatigue
feeling blue
trouble sleeping (just started)
hot flashes (just started as well..HOT, feeling a little out of breath, faster heart beat, flushed face..doesn't last long but hate it)
terribly sore breasts before I start
foggy brain
can this also cause slight dizzy feeling??? Dr said this was from sinus problems

Any advice or feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by godzpeach; 07-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: 36, peri menopause

Hi Godzpeach, welcome & thank you for posting!
While you seem young to be starting peri, it's not unheard of! And during this time, our hormones fluctuate so much that they're not always accurate when tested. Plus I have heard of several women as young as you starting peri right on this forum! Your hot flashes are especially a good indicator of this.

If this is the "change of life" starting for you, your periods will eventually become irregular (or stop altogether). And I will say from my personal opinion (as I'm not a doctor), that your symptoms do sound like peri-menopause. So hang in there girl! Is a crazy ride that just has to be accepted. But I also take things for relief of symptoms, as I don't believe we're meant to suffer! Good luck to you & God bless! ~Karen

Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

godzpeach HB User

Thanks for the reply! Yes it seems like a crazy ride but I'm just taking it one day at a time. I'm feeling better today. A friend from church told me about Estroven..which I may look into..have you ever heard of that?
My Mom started menopause in her 30's as well as many of her sisters and their daughters.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Godzpeach,

Estroven works wonders for me. I have been taking it for awhile now. Hot flashes went away, mood improved. I stopped taking it last month because I had to go in for bloodwork and boy, did all my symptoms return!

You can buy it at a really good price at Costco and if you don't have a Costco store, Walmart sells it in their vitamin section.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #5
(female)

godzpeach HB User

Thanks for the reply. This month was a really hard one for me. Horrible mood swings before, during and even after my period. It seems my symptoms have gone from being just the day or two before and during my periond to a week before and now a while after

Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi Godzpeach,
Glad you posted again, is good to hear from you even though you haven't been feeling well. Somehow venting helps a little too, I think. I'm sorry your having these symptoms so badly, as I'm no stranger to them either. I mean, I truly understand what you're feeling! Just know you're not alone, stay strong and I hope you get relief soon. Take care!

Old 07-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
(female)

godzpeach HB User

I'm hanging in there. I'm just taking each day as it comes and staying positive about it. I honestly never knew how wild this would be to go through and added to my low iron, it has been interesting. My period was really heavy this last time..with alot more clots than usual so my moodiness could be from iron too. It's actually time to recheck that tomorrow so we'll see if these iron pills have been working. It is great to come here and know others are feeling like I am.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi,
Is nice to hear you're trying to stay positive Godzpeach! I try to do that too. I've found laughing at myself and this change of life, eases the mental & emotional stress of it all quite a bit. And sharing on here does the same, for myself anyway. Releasing what's going on with me helps so I don't lay it all out on someone I love. Plus trying to help others going through the same is very healthy, getting me "out of myself" (i.e. "poor me" lol). But I also slip up too, lol, ending up having to apologize if/when I offend a loved one (after all I am human & a menopausal woman, with the freaky mood swings that come with it, lol)! But all this is just how I personally choose to live my life.

Well I hope your Iron levels are okay. Are you anemic? Sorry if you said you are and I missed that. Oh, and in case you didn't know, those clots are normal in women with fibroids, which are nothing serious. I have them too! They just make having your periods more painful unfortunately . But I say, chin up! We are strong and can handle this! One day at a time, like you said. You helped me a lot by saying that, as I tend to forget that important principle. Is a good way to live life.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #9
(female)

godzpeach HB User

I don't think I have fibroids..periods are not painful...just heavier and the mood swings are horrible.
Yes I am anemic. I have been taking iron pills for about 3 months..so we'll see what the these last numbers are..should know next week. The first Dr I saw said my low iron was the cause of all the moodiness and I was NOT perimenopausal. I had to do a follow up with a diff Dr cause he was out and when I mentioned my odd symptoms to her and told her what he said she was like um...no...that is NOT your iron. She said she believed I am in perimenopause. She wouldn't do any blood work to check hormones though cause she said it was too early to show anything...which I wasn't happy with. She sent me away with some Ativan (which I took years ago just as needed for anxiety), told me to take each day at a time and keep track of my periods. I will see her again to follow up on my iron blood work and will ask again for blood work or a referral on to someone else.
Yes, I am staying positive even when I don't feel like it...which honestly is quite often the past 2 weeks. My husband and I are Young Adult Pastors and we are always telling them we sometimes have to fight passed our "feelings." Last month was alot better and then this period was terrible and I just seem to still be dealing with the up and down feelings. The mood swings would be my #1 most disliked symptom for sure..followed by the most recent addition of hot flashes.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #10
(female)

godzpeach HB User

Had my thyroid checked...came back normal. Finally talked my Dr into checking FSH...she said it probably wouldn't show anything yet but did order it anyway. It came back within normal range but she still says I am peri. I did a little more than spotting between periods last month and now I am doing the same thing again this month. The last week or so my teeth feel very sensitive...a new thing. I had my teeth cleaned today and it was very painful! I looked it up and it seems to be yet another peri thing. Wow. I also found out my Vitamin D is low so I will be taking 50,000 units once a week for the next 8 weeks. : (

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Godzpeach,

That is just the strangest thing that you mentioned your teeth hurt. Mine too!!!! Went to the dentist a couple of weeks ago, thought maybe I had cavities or something, but no nothing!!!! How does menopause effect your teeth? It's like my bite is painful or something. Hard to describe. Gosh, what's next????

Missy

Old 08-20-2010, 09:59 AM   #12
(female)

godzpeach HB User

I had no idea it could affect your teeth either. I have never had it hurt like that to get a cleaning and I had the same lady I always have. I mentioned to her how sensitive my teeth were and she asked if I was pregnant..lol. I mentioned to my pastor's wife later at church about my cleaning and she said oh, I forgot to mention that (she's who I talk to about all the peri stuff since my Mom is passed away.) Then she told me how sensitive her teeth were when she started with peri menopause. I looked online when I got home and found a lot of stuff talking about it making your gums and teeth sensitive.

Closed Thread