It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #1
(female)

Flyerfan HB User
Odd period question

Little background: I'm 41 (will be 42 in 2 months) and have been having symptoms of peri for at least 6 years. It started with sleep problems, night sweats, "mini" hot flashes, no libido whatsoever and dryness along with several others including anxiety. I think I have, or have had about 30 of the 34 symptoms. Anyway I don't have all of them all the time. They come and go over the years but there are those that are with me all the time.

I have never skipped a period but it has changed over the years. I have always been 3 or 4 days of normal flow. Over the last 6 years I've had the brown spotting for a few days before "flo" came, I've had 2-3 day periods, 5-6 day periods and just plain ole weird periods. I don't even cramp anymore...haven't for a long time. I do exercise regularly and hope that has something to do with it. However, getting to my question. Last month I started to bleed (actually spotting, just enough for a liner) and then nothing the rest of the day and the whole day after. The following day I started and it lasted for about 2 days.

I'm trying to figure out how many days in my cycle, if I'm late, early or on time. How would I figure this out? Would it be that first day of a little spotting or the two days later?

Old 07-17-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
(female)

jennkhay HB User
Re: Odd period question

From what I have been told the first day of a cycle is the first day of proper flow, not spotting. I, like you often have some spotting a few days before my actual period starts and this is becoming more common as I have hit perimenopause. I think it is all just to do with our hormones fluctuating all over the place.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
Flyerfan, I agree with jennkhay, in that it is definitely peri-menopause. Our fluctuating hormones during this time make our periods fluctuate and off-schedule as well. And the brown color before your period is just old blood that hasn't shedded previously (not of concern). I've experienced this too, as well as weird schedules just as you have. Each woman varies as to what she suffers, when, and how long she experiences the peri phase.

Sounds like you've been going through this a long time, and I can totally empathize with you because I've been going through peri for about 3 1/2 years now and have experienced everything you've mentioned and more (as I'm sure most on this forum can relate). Except I do get cramping, even when missing my period, and it's tenfold more painful when I do have it. I keep hoping/praying that this is it for me, having missed 2 going on 3 months periods now. Lol, hope hope! I hope & pray that this is sign of the next phase for you too! ~Karen

Old 07-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
(female)

Flyerfan HB User

So far on day 30 of cycle and nothing yet. If I make it to tomorrow it will be my longest...except for the one and only time 16 years ago I was one week late when I moved in with my boyfriend (now husband). Guess my nerves were responsible that time. I know 30 is not long compared to others but for me it's not usual. I do have cramps off and on and just those little twinges that make you feel like it's coming...but nothing. We'll see.

Closed Thread