It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User
What is this?

I posted before about my fsh being 8.5 on day 29 of my cycle. After the birth of my youngest daughter 1 1/2 years ago my periods went from 28 days to 24 then all 23 up to 31. Im now 41st day of cycle and no period. I have taken 2 ept tests 7 days late...both negative. Im 42 years old...(Yes, had my youngest at age 40!) I have 4 children and I have taken all of my ept tests with them after only being one day late and got BFP so Im pretty sure 7 days late with two tests and two negatives im not preggers...have zero symptoms too.

I have been feeling like my cycle will start every day all day...bad cramps and just that "feeling" we all get.

My mom was full blown menopause at 51....does anyone think this is peri??? Im making an appt to have a mirena bc put in next month....this is not normal for me. I have no hot flashes but I am way more moodier and I have bursts of rage and that is not me.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Ohh and Im sure the EPT companies just LOVE perimenopausal women...makes them a bunch of money

Old 07-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User
Re: What is this?

Hi Hope4All,
The symptoms you described do sound like peri-meno! It's not uncommon even for women in their 30's to go into peri. Peri is all about fluctuating hormones. Doctor's & Gyno's won't even test hormones usually, I think because they know the tests most likely will be inconclusive, especially if you're experiencing peri symptoms, &/or menses irregularity (at our age). An endocrinologist may test them for you however, to give you peace of mind if nothing else.

If I were you, I'd definitely tell my doctor what's going on before putting in the mirena bc. Find out what your doctor thinks of all this. And another thing to consider is that in the beginning of peri, women sometimes can still ovulate, with a slight chance of pregnancy. Your doctor can inform you how to see if you are in fact still ovulating too.

Plus there is a small possibility that it is just hormonal imbalance. But at your age I'd lay my money on peri. Hot flashes didn't start for me until later. Peri for myself started at age 44 with night sweats, mood swings, then later the flashes came. Then two years later I started irregular period cycles, with now missing some altogether (but still having PMS symptoms (i.e. cramping, etc). These are just some things for you to consider. Not all women experience the same things or at the same time during peri.

Seeing a doctor could ease your mind a lot concerning all of this. I recommend herbal St. John's Wort for mood swings, or some prescription remedies work too, of course. Ginkgo Biloba is also a good herb for mental clarity. Good luck to you & let us know how it goes if you will. Take care & God bless, ~Kaz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Funny thing is my 3rd child and my 4th have 10yrs age difference. It took 10yrs to get pregnant .... we weren't trying to concieve but we weren't using birth control either. Our sex lives are very active.....so I always wondered why I went 10yrs and never got pregnant. My third child was born when I was 30.

The nurse at my obgyn office said Im No where near menopause because of my fsh being 8.5.....so who knows....since they didnt tell me to even take that test on my third day of cycle.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Hope4all,

I am 52 with full blown peri symptoms. Hot flashes, sweats, mood swings, missing periods and I finally was able to convince a doctor to have my hormones checked last week (been requesting it for awhile now, but my regular GP said no). My FSH level came back at 4.9!!!!!! I was shocked!!! How can I have a level of 4.9 when I truly believe I am perimenopausal???? Now they want to test me for other things: Pituary gland problem, ovarian cysts. This is just crazy? I am beginning to think that perhaps the doctors are just treating the lab results instead of treating the patient symptoms.

Listen to your body, not just the numbers on the lab result.

Hope all goes well for you.
Missy

Old 08-01-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

The worst part of being late or missing this cycle is all of my cramping....its been two weeks of cramping. When does this end? When I finally get my period? Ive had pms for 3 weeks and two weeks of the cramps...Im really angry and edgy....and I have 10yrs of this????

Old 08-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
Wow Missy, that's VERY interesting. What's a normal FSH level for a woman NOT in peri-meno? While testing for other things is okay, all your symptoms do point to peri as you stated. Crazy! Sometimes I think doctor's order tests just to make money? Lol, I don't know. Oh and these new doctor's coming out, ugh ... don't get me started, lol! But if you do have these tests, then at least you'll know if anything else is wrong or not. That's good.

Hope4all, I experience cramping and all the PMS symptoms lately WITHOUT having a period. But I've been in peri for about 3 years now. How long has this been going on for you? Didn't you say you recently had a child? I will say it's NOT uncommon for sudden onset peri-meno. But as I stated before, I'd suggest in your case to see you doctor again. Get answers! Take care & God bless you both (all), ~Kaz

Old 08-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have the cramping without the period too.....its so frustrating! I had hot flashes like 5 years ago....and it took 10yrs to have my last child. she is now 20 months. I asked my gyne about it and was told all those tests really show nothing and that with my age Im probably in peri.

Problem is I have almost all the symptoms but the night sweats BUT I also have Fibromyalgia and Peri and fibro symptoms are so similiar I have no idea what is what.

My symptoms are

Pain all over
Anxiety/doom
Had burning mouth syndrome for three years...finally went away
nausea
Vertigo...off balance
memory loss
burning skin
IBS
Osteoarthritis
Headaches
Ovarian cysts (pain lasts for 3 months then leaves for a month then comes back)

I know there is a few more but my memory is gone lol

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-01-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 08-01-2010, 06:23 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi Hope4All again,
Although I'm not a doctor of course, but from what you've described here, most does sound like peri symptoms! All except the general pain that comes from having Fibromyalgia. However, PMS/abdominal cramping (with or without a period) IS very common in peri (& I'd fair to guess that it's peri for you too). Plus the osteoarthritis & ovarian cysts are not related to peri, but a seperate health issue all on their own. I have other health issues too not related to peri as well.

Question: so your doctor felt the cysts aren't a threat and isn't doing anything about them? The reason I ask that is because I didn't even know I had them until one burst (on Christmas eve), forcing me to have emergency surgery that night! The pain of that was indescribable to say the least! Not to frighten you, but cysts can grow and need to be watched on a regular basis.

Oh, and you're not alone with memory loss, lol! Mine is mostly due to PTSD (past trauma), and I personally think from Stacci mold exposure as well. But it seems it's worsened since peri, lol. Short-term memory loss is also very common in peri/meno. I laugh about it now, because there's not much I can do for it (except my herb's & med's). Just have to deal with it (I keep a computer calendar named 'My Brain' to remember important things lol). Anyway, hope this helps you sort it out! Take care & God bless, ~Kaz

Last edited by lKaz; 08-01-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: addition

Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, they were really tiny...obgyn said they wouldnt be causing my pain but the lady who did the sonogram stated that many women who have little ones have major pain and the ones with large ones never have pain. They were not concerned at all.

With me having a 10yr gap between children Im wondering if it started way back then. I had 3 children between ages 23 to 30.....so I WAS very fertile lol

I'm pretty sure Im peri...been doing alot of research and I know my body and I'm not acting or feeling the same way.

I bought Magnesium, calcium, vitamin d and zinc pills...1 pill had everything in it...thankfully.
Don't know if I need anything else to get me and my body to calm down.

Both of my sisters had surgical menopause....had hysterectomys...1 had a full one and the other one just had either ovaries or uterus out...dont talk to her, she is to spacey and probably doesnt remember what she had out lol...but I know she shouldn't have had surgical menopause because they left stuff in but you can't tell her that lol

Old 08-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies,
Hope4All, your story of your sis is interesting, lol. I laugh because my mother is the same way. Grr, lol. But I've never heard of small ovarian cyst's causing pain, so I tend to agree with your OBGyn and not the nurse (just my personal opinion). Did they check for fibroids? Those will definitely cause pain during a period! But with those, there's no pain when not having your period.

From reading your post here, I'd trust what you're body is telling you! Our bodies are the number one truth teller, lol! Plus research is VERY good! I do a lot of that myself, wanting to be proactive in my own heathcare.

<edited>

... Anyway, thank you for posting and let us know how it goes for you if you will. Take care & God bless, ~Kaz

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-15-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Closed Thread