It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
(female)

swampygirl HB User
Unhappy Menopause misery

I am not a happy bunny. Around 8 years ago I began to feel out of sorts. Tiredness, dry skin, thining hair, depression, snappy, tearful, aches & pains, hot flashes and lack of interest in any aspect of life. Went to my doctor and I had bloods taken. Result - hormone level within the 'normal range'. I plodded on with life, toally miserable, I could have quite happily spent each and every day in bed shut away. Went back to my doctor on and off, blood tests for various possibilities came back negative. My weight has crept up and I am now overweight although I don't over eat and have a fairly balanced diet. I do have a back condition which basically prevents me exercising. I moved to a new area in May 2009 and went to my present doctor who arranged a blood test I hadn't had before. Result - full blown menopause. I haven't had a period since June 2009. So now here I am still feeling totally miserable but at least I now now the causes to many symptoms I have. I don't want to take HRT so my doctor suggested BLACK KOASH or RED CLOVER. Has anyone taken either of these natural products and if so, did they help? I don't know anything about these so any feedback would be appreciated. How did you manage your menopause? My poor husband has been neglected over these years and he's so tollerant, bless him! I'm 52 and just want to be happy and enjoy my life again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
(female)

jw90 HB Userjw90 HB Userjw90 HB User
Re: Menopause misery

I have taken alternative meds for menopause but for me they never worked and i personally can't stand menopause symtoms .the hot flashes are the worst and my quality of life goes way down if i'm off them..right now i'm bleeding some and i'm going for a ultasound tues the 10th and i'm going to talk to my doctor about have my uterus removed I'm so sick of all the complications it causes..

Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

lKaz HB User

Hi ladies, welcome to the forum, glad you're here!
Swampygirl, it's very unfortunate that you went through peri not knowing it ; I truly empathize with you (because I'm going through it now too & know what you're feeling and have gone through)! The truth is that peri (pre-meno), & menopause (the state of not having a period for 12 consecutive months) is all about fluctuating hormones, thus making testing often inconclusive for most women. And since you haven't had a period for over a year, you are now deemed by the medical community as being post-menopausal.

Unfortunately being post-meno doesn't exempt you from having symptoms such as you described (although I've heard they can/do ease with time). Anyway, I can recommend a few all-natural things for you that may give relief: Black Cohosh combined with Soy Isoflavones is a good relief aid for hot flashes, night sweats. There's also natural progesterone cream (rub on stomach & can be combined with the above mentioned). I've heard these do give some relief to many. But keep in mind what works for one woman may not work the same for another.

<edited>

Jwatt I understand your frustration too! But gyno's don't usually do hysterectomies unless there's serious issues. But I wish you well at your doctor visit & hope you'll let us know how it goes. I will say that a couple of my sister's had hysterectomies and have not had any peri-meno symptoms to speak of! On the other hand, I read a post on here of a women who had one and DID still have meno symptoms. Just food for thought for you to consider. Perhaps you could try the above mentioned Wisdom product I mentioned? Either way, I'm just suggesting things that may help.

Whatever you ladies decide to do, just know you're not alone in this! Apologies for this being so wordy too, lol. Hope I've helped some & that you can find some relief! Take care & God bless, ~Kaz

Last edited by mod-anon; 08-15-2010 at 12:13 PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

I have been taking black cohosh with soy flavonoids for about three months now
and it is helping ENORMOUSLY! ... made by Solgar.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-14-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: mentioning product names is allowed

Old 08-13-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
(female)

Stepper HB UserStepper HB User

Hi Braveheart,

I have terrible hot flashes, but I think I could live with those. I really need help with mood. I'm b***** or crying, and they are both EXTREME. The black cohosh and soy flavonoids are they for mood or hot flashes?

Thank you

Old 08-13-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

braveheart226 HB User

I take them for terrible hot flashes. I am not sure if this affects mood also.
I can tell you, I'm in a better mood now that I'm not having such constant hot flashes!!!!
Now if only I can find something for the night sweats....

Sue

Old 08-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
(female)

hi I also have taken alternative remedies and for me they never worked for me and I igave them my best shot...I'm one of those women who are plagued by symtoms...not sleeping and anxiety and hot flashes just plain crappy..so for th;m the last few years i have chosen to be on HRT from a compounded pharmacy ..and it just makes me feel so great..I'm 65 and i live a healthy life work out and eat healthy..so as long as it makes me feel great i'm going to take the risk and keep taking them ...just had a vaginal ultrasound and everything was okay..and have yearly mamograms..hope this helps you and gives you some encouragement..J

Old 08-14-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Sue, thanks so much for the info. I have really been fighting the hot flashes today, and I was actually thinking than when I'm in a b***** mood, the flashes do make it worse.

Jwat, I appreciate your info as well. I seemed to be plaged with symptoms too. I really have this feeling that the alternative meds, vitamins & minerals, probably will not help because it is so severe.

Right now I'm trying a low-dose estrogen and progesterin (I think progesterin) patch. My doc said to give it a couple of weeks, that my hot flashes should improve within 24 hours (they haven't and it's been like 36 hours) and that my mood should improve within 2 weeks. Well, my mood is better, but I wonder if it's just coincidence. Anyway, she said to call her back in a couple weeks and let her know how it's going and said she may have to put me on an antidepressant too.

I just don't know what to do. I have reservations about using HRT and antidepressants, but I just cannot live with the terrible mood swings. One minute I'm gonna rip the patch off and go get black cohosh, etc., then the next minute, I'm gonna "stay the course" with the patches and see where I am in 2 weeks.

Right now, I'm gonna hold out the two weeks and see where she says to go from there. I really don't know that I'm in a position to be making any major decisions anyway.

Thanks again y'all. It is nice to know I'm not alone in this... sorry, but misery loves company.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hey Stepper,

Sorry to hear you are having such severe symptoms. I agree with you, I think I would stay the course with the patch for a couple of weeks and see how it goes. It takes time for your hormones to get balanced out. I personally am trying the natural route and so far I'm hanging in there by a thread. But I do believe we all reach a point where enough is enough and we need to try anything to make us feel better whether is HRT, a natural approach, antidepressants or anxiety drugs. It's all about how you feel and your breaking point.

You hang in there and try HRT and see if it works for you, if that's what makes you feel better, then go for it. I have many older lady friends who have taken it and they are all okay.

Just do what you need to do to make you feel good again.

Missy

Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
(female)

Hi Stepper
sorry you are not feeling much better ..but maybe you need just need to bump up the dose a little ..when I was at my worse having hot flashes every half hour night and day..I could not think clearly and the anxiety was so bad ..and it had a lot to do with not being able to sleep night after night ..I think i was more sleep deprived then when i had just had a new baby ..at least then I got 2 hrs sleep at a time....I am on compounded hormones only because they can make just the right dose for me..my dose is .425 estradiol/and 87mg of progesterone..and that seems to work for me..

Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #11
(female)

Hi Jwatt,

I did have a horrible time sleeping last night, or I guess I should say not sleeping. I think yesterday was just a fluke with my mood. I thought I was in a good mood, but this morning my husband told me I was b****** about everything. But, I was doing it nicely. Today has been a fight to be nice I probably do need to up the dose, but I'm really gonna try to be patient and follow doc's orders. It may be a long 2 weeks... aaaargh. I'm glad you have found what works. It gives me hope.

Hi Missy,

Thanks for the encouragement. I hope you can find something that works for you. I would really like to know how you are doing and that you find something that does. Yes, we're gonna have to be patient I guess no mater what route we choose to take. There is not gonna be a quick fix... sigh.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #12
(female)

lmgh HB User

Hi, Im 52 and am miserable... Havent had my period for 8 months now. I have the hot flashes, night sweats which prevent me from sleeping, feel negative and feel like Im literally going crazy. I have absolutely no pacience and feel agressive, unable to control my mood swings ... feels like the world is crashing in on me. I used to be happy all the time, even keeled and very positive and right now I cant stand myself.

Thought about hrt, live in spain and am hoping some dr. will understand what this is like. Anyone else feeling agressive and impatient.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
(female)

Hi Imgh,

I know exactly how you feel. I tried HRT for a couple of months, but it was not for me. I don't know that it helped anything, maybe the hot flashes, but I'm not sure about that. I do know that I bled the 2 months I was on them, and one of the benefits of all this, I think is not having periods, so I got off the HRT. We're all different, so don't let that discourage you. Maybe HRT will help you as it helps many others. What has helped me the most is getting on an antidepressant.

Hugs to you!

Old 02-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Imgh,

Welcome to the boards! Yes, I too am feeling aggressive, moody and somedays can't believe my grouchiness. Just wanted to welcome you and let you know you're not alone! I was watching the Dr. Oz show the other day and he suggested a product called SAMe for mood swings. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I will. I find these days that if I just keep experimenting with different products, I will find something that helps. I will post back with my experience with it as soon as I buy some.

Keep on posting here, there are alot of great gals that really can help.

Take care,
Missy

Old 02-06-2011, 03:54 AM   #15
(female)

recordsclerk HB User

I am 54 and I too was on the HRT and took myself off cold turkey because I felt the possible out come was too risky. I am now doing a liver cleanse formula and over the counter progesterone cream and feel great. No more hot flashes, mood swings etc....

Closed Thread