It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User
Horrible anxiety

I have almost unbearable anxiety the last few months. I am 50 and have always been prone to anxiety, but now it is really bad. It is almost like I am in a daze. I have tried L Theanine as suggested on this board, but feel no difference. I usually wake up with anxiety and then it stays with me part of the day and almost incapacitates me. The problem is that I am not able to take antidepressants because of side effects so that is not an option. Is there anything else one could do to lessen the anxiety? How long should I anticipate this anxiety due to menopause to last? I am 50 and the anxiety has been bad for a few months. I've also had a few horrible panic attacks. I feel so tired and wiped out right now. Today I had very severe anxiety. I've also tried valerian root but felt no difference.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:34 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: Horrible anxiety

What makes you think that this is related to menopause? Sure it is one of the perhaps 37 symptoms associated with it, however it may also be unrelated. There are more than just a few drugs targeted specifically for anxiety and/or panic attacks -- which are not considered an anti-depressant. You really don't have to live this way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
(female)

jennkhay HB User

I have experienced awful anxiety also over the last couple of years. As I am only 45 I didn't link it to perio-menopause until I started noticing some other changes such as irregular cycles etc. I have just finished my first month of using natural progesterone cream and I am feeling so much better I can't believe it. I guess it depends whether your anxiety is hormone related but the chances are it is and I would much rather use the natural progesterone than go on anti-anxiety drugs. May be worth a try if you haven't already done so.

Jen

Old 08-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Aleksia,

I am the one that recommended L-Theanine and I am sorry it's not working for you. I am not sure what brand you are taking, but I have been taking Suntheanine registered trademark for the only clinical proven form of L-Theanine. It is manufactured by Taiyo International, Inc. I too had horrible anxiety due to peri prior to taking this product. I have been on it for months now and I swear by it. My anxiety is so less severe then it was.

I also use natural progesterone cream (Menoease manufactured by Rexhall Corp), it has a good dose of progesterone in it. Beware though, some of the progesterone creams sold at health food stores barely have any progesterone in them. It's a good idea to call the number on the bottle and ask how much progesterone are actually in them. I also use Extroven Extra Strength that has the black cohosh and soy in it. Both products can be bought at Walmart Supercenters.

Perhaps it's the combination of all three that are helping me, but before taking the L-Theanine I still had extreme anxiety while taking just Estroven and progesterone.

I hope you find the relief you need, I personally know how bad the anxiety can be.

Take care,
Missy

Old 08-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
(female)

aleksia HB Useraleksia HB User

Thanks for the replies. I know that the anxiety is related to menopause because although I've always had anxiety it has never been like this. Now I wake up feeling horrible, my heart is pounding and I feel like something awful is going to happen. I've never had panic attacks in my life until 2 months ago. If you have never had a panic attack, it is hard to describe how it feels. I had 2 panic attacks within a few days while on vacation. I was convinced that I was going to die.
I am going to do some research on progesterone cream as I don't know anything about it. I am willing to try anything natural that can make me feel better.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #6
(female)

rachae1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksia View Post
...If you have never had a panic attack, it is hard to describe how it feels. I had 2 panic attacks within a few days while on vacation. I was convinced that I was going to die.
I had panic attacks about 20 years ago. It was frightening; nothing can compare to it! I thought I was going to die; I'd even hugged my family good-bye, LOL.

To make a lone story short, a nutritionist recommended a product called Shpilkes by Ecological Formulas. It's a combination of co-enzyme B12, magnesium taurate and calcium taurate.

I took i for about 3 or 4 days and the panic attacks subsided by at least 50 percent. I continued taking it by increasing the dosage (one extra pill) for another three months. My attacks have never returned.

I still keep a bottle of it around just in case I'd ever need it. I also take suntheanine when I'm under stress at the first signs.

If you do decide to try Shpilkes, I'd be interested in finding out how it worked for you.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
(female)

Liabug HB User

Aleksia -

Your description was me just a few weeks ago. I would wake up in the morning feeling the same way and have to fight my way through work. Didn't sleep much at night either.

A few of things worked for me. First, I returned to my yoga class at least a couple times a week. When at home, I distracted myself. I kept myself busy every minute of the day with some task or other. I had a phrase I would say to myself when the feeling of panic would wash over me: "This is just a sensation in my body. It will not harm me."

I also prayed, and repeated scriptures that address fear to myself. Depending on your spiritual beliefs, perhaps you could meditate.

It took about a week of this, but I finally feel back in control.

I'm completely convinced that this is hormonal, and related to being in peri-meno.

I hope these ideas might help you. Know that you are not alone, and there is so much good info and encouragement on this site.

Wishing you peace ~

Lia

Closed Thread