It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
(female)

Nona33 HB User
Menopause or not

I am 51 and a half. Have been on the low dose pill about 7 years. Got off of it for 2 months this winter to get my FSH levels tested. They were 35 then. I did not bleed during those two months (yay!)
I got back on them and was supposed to start my monthly set Monday. I decided not to, to see, and have spotting a small bit today. Does this mean there is not menopause at all or maybe its just spotting. I don't want another period, and am trying to figure if I should get back on the pill now to keep it from progressing.
Any advice welcome!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: Menopause or not

Hi Nona33,

Any spotting that occurs means your not in menopause as of yet. Menopause is when you have no bleeding at all for one year straight. You FSH levels due indicate that you are in peri though. My doctor told me FSH levels under 25 are not considered peri. FSH levels close to 50 usuallly indicate menopause. I am 51 and not on any birth control and missed 2 periods in a row. Had my FSH levels checked and mine came back at 4!!!!! I don't think these lab tests for hormones are that reliable!!!! The birth control pills might ease your menopausal symptoms if you decided to stay on them.

Hang in there,
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
(female)

Nona33 HB User

I have no symptoms.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope4All HB UserHope4All HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy222 View Post
Hi Nona33,

Any spotting that occurs means your not in menopause as of yet. Menopause is when you have no bleeding at all for one year straight. You FSH levels due indicate that you are in peri though. My doctor told me FSH levels under 25 are not considered peri. FSH levels close to 50 usuallly indicate menopause. I am 51 and not on any birth control and missed 2 periods in a row. Had my FSH levels checked and mine came back at 4!!!!! I don't think these lab tests for hormones are that reliable!!!! The birth control pills might ease your menopausal symptoms if you decided to stay on them.

Hang in there,
Missy
Did you take the FSH during your 3rd day of your cycle? Thats the ONLY time it should be done. My Gyne told me that our hormones fluctuate daily and that the FSH test doesn't really show if your in Peri....it will just tell you when you have hit Menopause and that the FSH test has to be done AFTER missing a entire year of your cycle.

Hope this helps some.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
(female)

Nona33 HB User

I had stopped my pill, had the 'period' then after 6 weeks, got my fsh tested.
You were misinformed. I take the pill, I'd keep having periods til age 100 if I hadn't gotten off the pill for two months to test the fsh levels.

Last edited by Nona33; 08-20-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Old 08-21-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nona33 View Post
I have no symptoms.
Hi Nona,

So glad you're not having any symptoms, they are no fun believe me. That's the good thing about a low dose birth control, they give you the hormones you need and mask the symptoms of menopause.

You did the right thing about stopping the pill to get your FSH test and a reading of 35 puts you straight into peri. Perhaps if you continue the pill for a while longer and have your FSH level checked again it will let you know exactly when you are in full blown menopause. Your periods will eventually stop whether you are on the pill or not. Once your ovaries stop producing eggs, that's it!

Missy

Closed Thread