It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Please help! Did you or do you get heart palpitations?

This is insane! My heart has been flopping around in my chest like a fish out of water for 2 weeks now I'm 47, close to 48 and still have a regular cycle. It started 2 wks ago with my ovulation. It continued sporadically for the past 2 weeks. Then the past 2 nights have been simply awful! Heart palps with practically every single beat and lasting for hours. Today I got my period and am hoping so very hard that with it will be a decrease in these heart sensations.

I had a bout of heart problems 2yrs ago with a rapid heart beat and anxiety feeling in my chest. I went in for all of the tests, EKG, Echo, 24hr holter monitor and my heart was fine. I also had blood work to check iron and thyroid and they were fine. They gave me Xanex for anxiety and with time it settled down to nothing. Now it's back, different and more annoying than ever!

I really don't want to go to the doctor again for all of these tests if it's hormone related. I just need some reassurance from all of you out there dealing with meno and peri meno that I'm not going to keel over and die any minute. Has anyone had these things this bad? And things have been going so well with my symptoms too Then perimeno decides to rear her ugly head with a vengeance this time

Last edited by irisrose; 09-07-2010 at 06:50 AM.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: Please help! Did you or do you get heart palpitations?

Oh and with these heart palpitations I have belching. So much air comes from my stomach. I burp and burp and then I feel a little relief but the palps won't stop. But they have been hand and hand these past 2 wks.

I thought it was my stomach so am now trying to treat my stomach with some Zantac and tums in between to see if that will make a difference. It seemed to help all day yesterday but not during the night. It's like when my stomach is empty the palps begin. And of course that is the case at night when I go to bed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #3
(male)

noobtube HB User

I had somthing similar exept i couldn't catch my breath and had a strange pressure feeling in my chest/centre upper abdomen. The doc prescribed me with Omeprazol (a proton pump inhibitor) This helped.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
(female)

Mandarra HB UserMandarra HB User

Hi there. Yes and yes, I have heart palpitations all the time. I have heart racing too. recently they have become worse, I just turned 53 and I still have regular periods. I had heart ultrasound and heart monitor and it turned out okay. They are the scariest things, especially the racing heart which seems to be brought on mostly by exercise, although the other day I was in the car with my husband and my heart started racing out of my chest, it began to feel like I couldn't breathe. I take lorazepam occasionally for it. I really hate this symptom, it is awful. You aren't alone.

Mary

Old 09-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks ladies! I still can't talk myself out of the thought that I might just keel over. They've been bad today. I went to the healthfood store and bought some magnesium with potassium that you mix in water. It seemed to help earlier today. But tonight when they usually are the worst it isn't really doing much.

I guess tomorrow if they're still this bad I'll go to the dr and have them do an EKG. Then I will have to wait days before I can get an appt with a cardiologist for further testing if it doesn't stop. I'm hoping that they will start to let up the further I get into my period. And then just go away. This is one annoying and unnerving peri symptom.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi irisrose,

I get the palps too but they only last a few minutes and sometimes they actually take my breath away. Check out this thread on this board entitled "Ectopic heart beats/Superventricular Tachycardia" posted by cyclequeen31 on 6-18-2010. I found it quite helpful.

Hope this finds you some relief and hang in there, you're not alone!
Missy

Old 09-08-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Missy! I read the thread prior to my posting my own while I was researching. That thread was informative but talked a lot about actual diagnosed heart conditions that I don't think I have. Unless something drastically changed since all of my cardiac tests 2yrs ago. And I hope not!

Bedtime last night started off very badly. I was so physically tired from not sleeping the previous 2 nights and so frustrated that I nothing I did would make it stop, I almost drove to the ER. But instead I took out my old stash of Xanex and took one. Either it calmed me enough to have an influence on my heart or it calmed my heart muscle and it stopped! It stopped for one full night so I could sleep!! Because the not sleeping only adds to more heart palps.

I'm hoping it's hormonal and now that I am going into my second day of my period it will start letting up. That is my hope anyway. If I don't wind up in a looney bin before I make it through menopause, I'll consider myself very lucky

Old 09-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Irisrose,

Yes, lack of sleep makes all of the symptoms so much worse. I remember one night I had a heart palp so bad, I actually got up and shaved my legs just in case I had to call the paramedics!!!!! Talk about looney bins, I think I maybe just a skip away!!!!!

Hang in there,
Missy

Old 09-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Lol, Missy! I have been making sure I have my good underwear on these past couple of nights in case I had to go to the ER.

I went all day yesterday w/o any. From the time I finally was able to fall asleep night before last, all day yesterday and all evening. No palps. I was so happy and hopeful. But as soon as I lay down in bed, if I can't fall asleep instantly, they start back up. WHY!!??? Why does it have to happen when I lay down to sleep, when I need to sleep? I took a 1/2 xanex to relax enough to fall asleep. I still have the palps when I fall asleep, but when I wake during the night they aren't there. So I don't know if it's all physical or how much is my brain. Because I lay in bed and just wait and anticipate it happening - and then it does. I hate this.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
(female)

misstlynn HB User

Iris, my palps are the worst when I lie down. I have been having them for days and I also have pounding heart where I can feel my heartbeat while I am just sitting still. It may be the postion that you are lying in. Mine are worse if I am lying on my right side. Have you tried different positions?

Old 09-13-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Hi misstlynn. I can only sleep on my right side when I first get into bed. If I can get them to stop I can sometimes sleep on my left side. But I don't even bother to start out on my left side because I will guarantee myself a floppy heart.

Things have gotten better. I've been drinking a magnesium/potassium drink, no caffiene and I started back on progesterone cream twice per day. The day time is pretty much palp free. But what I'd really like is for the night time to be palp free. They don't go all night but falling asleep is horrible. I take a 1/2 of xanex but want these to let up because I don't want to be taking that long term.

I have noticed if I drink a beer while watching tv before bed makes them stop too. Much better than pharmaceuticals LOL!

Closed Thread