It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
I finally had it and went to the ER last night

These heart palpitations are so relentless and annoying. I finally just said to my husband, I'm tired of this happening every stinking night I'm going in and find out what's happening. I would have gone to my dr. during the day but they seem to let up so much during the day I knew they wouldn't catch anything through stethoscope or EKG and I would still have no answer. So I had to go when they were flopping.

Turns our I have PVCs. So they are benign but so damned annoying I can't stand it. I have a RX for xanex but was told by ER dr. to go to primary care doctor and see about beta blockers to help get me through it. I really don't want to take them. I tend to have lowish blood pressure and everything I read is these are used to lower blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. And low blood pressure can cause heart palpitations I have an appt this afternoon with primary doc so we'll see what comes of it. All blood work, electrolytes, thyroid etc normal. So it's just a goofy heart contraction Even though it still feels like I'm going to keel over at any minute, I've been assured I won't. They'd better be right!!

Old 09-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I finally had it and went to the ER last night

I assume that you are not on HRT or other menopause meds. Yes, the heart palps are unnerving. Andyou are correct about the beta blockers. One thing you can do when you have an epsiode, is to cough - very hard. That will kick your heart back into rhythm. It's very effective. Of course, HRT is also an alternative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Thanks Titchou! They are so annoying! I hate them and can't wait for the day I don't have them. I just hope that day comes very soon!

I went and saw my primary care dr about this. I wanted to talk with her about the beta blockers and my low blood pressure. She advised against it. She said since my heart is structurally healthy and these are not life threatening, I should use the xanex to sleep and continue exercising and doing what I do and she thinks they will begin to subside. I hope so!!

I just drank a cup of magnesium citrate and they aren't gone but much calmer. I will try sipping on that stuff throughout the day and see if I can keep the magnesium and potassium a little more level and constant in my body and see if that makes a difference. Stupid peri!

Old 09-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
(female)

misstlynn HB User

Iris, if your blood pressure is low, like mine is, you need to keep yourself hydrated. This can also cause palps. My cardio doc is the one who told me to keep myself well hydrated to keep the blood volume up in my body so that my blood pressure doesn't drop too low. Your blood pressure also changes when you lie down. Try to elevate your head and chest a little when you lie down.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Gals,

Excellent advise from Misstlynn!!! Hydration is the first thing they due to raise low blood pressures. Also, laying on either your right or left side can also lower blood pressure, so it's best to lay flat on your back to see if that may help.

Missy

Old 09-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstlynn View Post
Iris, if your blood pressure is low, like mine is, you need to keep yourself hydrated. This can also cause palps. My cardio doc is the one who told me to keep myself well hydrated to keep the blood volume up in my body so that my blood pressure doesn't drop too low. Your blood pressure also changes when you lie down. Try to elevate your head and chest a little when you lie down.
Thanks for that advice! No one really said much about the hydration thing even though that's a no brainer. And even though my blood pressure is on the low end, because I don't clinically have low blood pressure, it wasn't discussed as such. I usually run under 110 over something in the mid to upper 60s. The drs mostly focused on the PVCs and what they are and the drugs I can take to stop them or learn to ignore them because they're benign. Not much talk about natural things. I have been trying to drink more and adding gatorade in between. They have let up and I am very hopeful for bed tonight. Today has been the best day yet. And even this evening no palps. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I just want a good night's sleep. I think that could go a long way in stopping these as well.

Last edited by irisrose; 09-13-2010 at 08:30 PM.

Closed Thread