It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

rayel HB Userrayel HB User
May need more help

I'm 51 in peri and just (2 weeks ago) started HRT. First Angeliq and now have switched to Activella for insurance $$ purposes. It really seems to be helping some but I'm still on this anxiety roller coaster even though most of the time I feel ok. That's as opposed to most of the time feeling like ****** like I was 2 weeks ago. I'm taking a half of a .5 mg lorazepam once a day. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion of something that may work better..If I take a whole one at one time I get extremely drowsy. I also would like to ask if anyone knows if I could use the natural progesterone cream that I hear raves about with the Activella. My Dr. didn't do any blood work before prescribing the HRT other than checking thyroid levels that are ok. The reason I'm asking about additional progesterone is that I think I may be estrogen dominant. Everything I tried OTC before my Dr. appt. like Estroven, Happy Camper, L-Theanine, made me much, much worse anxiety wise, night sweats, etc. Or, should I give the Activella more time? It's only been a month and I'm really tired of all of these symptoms. Getting new ones everday too. Today diarrhea, TA DA! Sorry to ramble on..thanks in advance for your knowledge and any suggestions.
Rayel

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-15-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: merging similar threads

Old 09-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #2
(female)

HRT and progesterone

Does anyone know if you can use the progesterone cream if you're already taking HRT. I think the HRT is helping, but I'm still on the anxiety roller coaster and need more help and I'm reading that the cream really helps. I'd really appreciate any info or suggestions. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User
Re: HRT and progesterone

Hi Rayel,

I think I would talk to my doctor before adding progesterone to HRT therapy. Perhaps she can adjust you HRT meds or even add something to help with the anxiety.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Old 09-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy222 View Post
Hi Rayel,

I think I would talk to my doctor before adding progesterone to HRT therapy. Perhaps she can adjust you HRT meds or even add something to help with the anxiety.

Hope this helps,
Missy

Missy, thanks so much for your response. I'm sure you're right and I should talk to my dr. before trying something like that, although I'm trying to keep the dr. visits to a minimum because of a huge insurance deductible.....My husband and I run our own business and times are tight, which doesn't help with the anxiety btw. I do have a scrip (no refills) for lorazepam (left over from when this first hit me a couple of years ago, at which time it didn't occur to any of my female docs that it was peri and not a nervous breakdown ) and have been taking half a tab between one and three times a day. Anyway, I'm sure I'll need something to get by. Do you have any suggestions? I'm sorry to "talk" your ear off, but yours is the only response I got. I don't think I really know how to post a question properly on the board because sometimes I have a hard time finding my own post.
Thanks again Missy, it means alot to be able to share (my husband gets it but......)
Leslie

Old 09-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

rayel: To find out what posts you're subscribed to go to "Quick Links" on the blue line at the top of the page and then click on Subscribed Posts.

As far as the HRT/progesterone issue, I'd ask the doctor just to be safe. I'm taking progesterone lozenges and I've read that they get absorbed slower in the body because they have to be processed by the liver. If you use the cream it's absorbed into the body quicker since it doesn't go through the liver. I've used the cream a few times along with the lozenges and I don't think it has affected me too much. Just check with the doctor anyway.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Leslie,

The anxiety can be quite difficult in this stage of our lives, I know I have it too. I also take Lorazepam on occasion if I really have a bad anxiety attack. I have started using L-Theanine by Suntheanine for my anxiety. It's a natural calming agent that you can get at a health food store. It really helps me and it's all natural. Make sure if you decide to buy it you get the Suntheanine product. It's the only one that has been clincally proven to help.

I do also use a natural progesterone cream, but I am not on any HRT. Trying to get through this naturally, but truly hanging on by a thread!!!

Hope my suggestions help some.

Take care,
Missy

Old 09-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

timteach2 HB User
Re: May need more help

i had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and tried several different kinds of hrt before settling on the vivelle dot estrogen patch. It is the only one that is bioidentical (or so I've been told). That is the one that's worked best for me with controlling symptoms. As for the progesterone, I've tried it with several different kinds of estrogen and it didn't seem to interfer with it. <edited>

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-12-2010 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Please read the posting rules

Old 09-13-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
Hi Leslie,

The anxiety can be quite difficult in this stage of our lives, I know I have it too. I also take Lorazepam on occasion if I really have a bad anxiety attack. I have started using L-Theanine by Suntheanine for my anxiety. It's a natural calming agent that you can get at a health food store. It really helps me and it's all natural. Make sure if you decide to buy it you get the Suntheanine product. It's the only one that has been clincally proven to help.

I do also use a natural progesterone cream, but I am not on any HRT. Trying to get through this naturally, but truly hanging on by a thread!!!

Hope my suggestions help some.

Take care,
Missy

Missy,
Thank you for being so helpful. Can you tell me where you get the Suntheanine product? I looked for it a couple of weeks ago after seeing it on this board (must have been one of your posts). I tried to get it at GNC but they no longer carry it. I tried a different brand that had other ingredients and it seemed to make me kind of antsy so I only took it once. Thanks again Missy, you're an angel!

Old 09-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Leslie,

I buy my L-Theanine at a local health food store in my area that are really great at caring only the best products. I first learned of this stuff from a seminar at the store by a great naturalist doctor named of Michael Murray. Everything I take that he has advised has been tremendously helpful. The Suntheanine brand that I use is by Enzymatic Therapy, Inc.

From what I have researched on this product, and believe me I research everything before I take it, is that it was developed in Japan by a company called Taiyo International, Inc. and from what I know the japanese put it in everything they sell except for baby food.

I used to wake up everyday with the extreme anxiety, you know the one that makes your stomach clench up and your shoulders so tight you feel like you can't even move. After being on this I feel so much better. I don't know, some ladies have tried it and said it didn't work for them, but it seems to for me. I take 100 mgs once a day with my decaf coffee in the morning and about an hour later I am good to take on the day!!

I know we all have are perks as to what works for us, but I trully think that this gives me the calming effect that sends me on my day.

I hope that you find the relief that you need from the anxiety my friend, I know how bad it can be at times.

Take care and if you have any other questions just post, okay?

Missy

Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 AM   #10
(female)

Hey Missy,

Isn't it the worst, waking up already anxious and stressed out before you even start your day? Thanks for the info on the Suntheanine. I'm looking now for a local supplier, if no one stocks it I'll definitely be ordering online.
Thanks again!
Leslie

Old 09-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #11
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timteach2 View Post
i had a hysterectomy 6 years ago and tried several different kinds of hrt before settling on the vivelle dot estrogen patch. It is the only one that is bioidentical (or so I've been told). That is the one that's worked best for me with controlling symptoms. As for the progesterone, I've tried it with several different kinds of estrogen and it didn't seem to interfer with it. <edited>
Thanks for your response timteach2! If you don't mind I have a couple of questions for you.....Did your Dr. recommend the progesterone and was it OTC or prescription? Did you have issues with anxiety and what do you think helped you most with that? Thanks for your help and I hope all is well with you.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
(female)

Quote:
Hi Leslie,

I buy my L-Theanine at a local health food store in my area that are really great at caring only the best products. I first learned of this stuff from a seminar at the store by a great naturalist doctor named of Michael Murray. Everything I take that he has advised has been tremendously helpful. The Suntheanine brand that I use is by Enzymatic Therapy, Inc.

From what I have researched on this product, and believe me I research everything before I take it, is that it was developed in Japan by a company called Taiyo International, Inc. and from what I know the japanese put it in everything they sell except for baby food.

I used to wake up everyday with the extreme anxiety, you know the one that makes your stomach clench up and your shoulders so tight you feel like you can't even move. After being on this I feel so much better. I don't know, some ladies have tried it and said it didn't work for them, but it seems to for me. I take 100 mgs once a day with my decaf coffee in the morning and about an hour later I am good to take on the day!!

I know we all have are perks as to what works for us, but I trully think that this gives me the calming effect that sends me on my day.

I hope that you find the relief that you need from the anxiety my friend, I know how bad it can be at times.

Take care and if you have any other questions just post, okay?

Missy
Hey Missy,

No luck on the Enzymatic Therapy brand locally, but I found a local store that has Suntheanine under there name and it says it's from Taiyo International. In your opinion do you think its the same stuff? Sorry to nit pick, but I'm tried so many OTC's..........

THANKS!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Leslie,

Yes, it is probably the same. Several different companies carry it, Natural Factors for example. I have used that in the chewable form and it worked just as well.

Good luck and I hope it helps,
Missy

Old 09-19-2010, 07:51 PM   #14
(female)

timteach2 HB User

I tried a compounded progesterone but my doc did not give me a prescription for it. I just went to the compounding pharmacist and he made it for me. I tried it several different times but it seemed to make my hot flashes worse so I quit using it

Closed Thread