It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
I don't understand why the middle of the night is the time for palpitations!

Here I sit at 3:55 am after having been up since about 2:30. And before that I didn't even fall asleep till midnight. I am so frustrated and angry and at a loss for what to do. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and take a beta blocker and hope my blood pressure doesn't tank and I die in my sleep Xanex isn't doing anything. Maybe I need to take the whole .25 mg and just get knocked out. But I hate that I would need to depend on that.

I can't live and function off of 2-4 hrs of sleep each night. My days are perfect. Yesterday was a normal day, no palpitations whatsoever. I was hopeful that my remedies I was using would allow me to have one good night's sleep. Boy was I wrong! This is as bad as it was when I drove myself to the ER. Flopping and fluttering non stop. I wish I could beat my chest or have one of the electric shock things and just shock my heart out of spite right now! I hate my heart! It's the one thing that keeps me alive but I hate it so much right now - it is my enemy. Just one night of sleep, that's all I want. Just one relaxing, restful night of sleep.

I don't know if this is perimeno tormenting me or something else. And I hope it's temporary and passes like other peri symptoms have. But I have read stories about these PVCs and people are plagued with them their whole lives. And that scares me to no end. Because I am useless with these things. All I can do is cry right now because I feel so helpless.

The following user gives a hug of support to irisrose:
katwit12 (11-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: I don't understand why the middle of the night is the time for palpitations!

PVCs, PACs, Tachycardias, Heart Jumps, Skips, etc. are usually caused when "something" excites the electrical system of the heart. One of the most common things that excites the heart is allergens. The worst place for allergens is the bed.

We limited my reaction to the bed by not using fabric softeners, and not using conventional detergents, plus frequent washing of the bedding, etc. These steps improved my problems but did not rid me of them. Hence, I also take heart medication to stabilise my heart beat and rhythm.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 09-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: I don't understand why the middle of the night is the time for palpitations!

irisrose: Look into taking some Melatonin at bedtime. It was on Dr. Oz last week. It's a hormone secreted by the pineal gland and is reduced during menopause and this is what causes insomnia. You can also get it by drinking tart cherry juice. He also recommended drinking milk before bed because it's got the tryptophan in it. It helps you sleep. I bought some and split the pill in half to start with because I take seizure meds and wanted to be sure they wouldn't interfere. Be careful with the Xanax though. I don't know if they'd interfere with each other. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Thanks for the tips Machaon.

Mine came on suddenly. I began a more rigorous exercise program in the past few weeks. I had been working out inside on an elliptical and was getting bored out of my mind so decided to start running outside again. It's still warm and some days it would be pretty hot by the end of my run. And that's when they started - right after about a week of outdoor running. I suspected dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. But I've been trying to drink more electrolyte drinks instead of just water, I've been drinking a magnesium and potassium supplement powder in water and last night was as bad as they've ever been. When I went to the ER out of frustration and fear one night, my potassium level is just barely above the lowest level.

But it feels like it all stems from adrenaline. I've been reading about it and I think I have some kind of whacked out cortisol/norepinephrine thing going on. I'm going to read a bit more on it and then see what my next steps will be. I just lay in bed and feel like I've just been startled or frightened and if that goes on too long, the palps will result from that. Anyone trying to figure this out including a doctor is

Old 09-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92261 View Post
irisrose: Look into taking some Melatonin at bedtime. It was on Dr. Oz last week. It's a hormone secreted by the pineal gland and is reduced during menopause and this is what causes insomnia. You can also get it by drinking tart cherry juice. He also recommended drinking milk before bed because it's got the tryptophan in it. It helps you sleep. I bought some and split the pill in half to start with because I take seizure meds and wanted to be sure they wouldn't interfere. Be careful with the Xanax though. I don't know if they'd interfere with each other. Good luck.
I've been considering melatonin. But if feels like spurts of adrenaline. I had this before without the palpitations 2-3yrs ago. At that time I went through all of the testing and I have a structurally healthy heart and no reason. But since it's happening again and it seems to be the catalyst to the palps something is out of whack with my adrenal hormones and I'm not sure how to correct it. I want to read more about it. I know you can do saliva tests that will see what your hormones are doing throughout the day. But I haven't gotten past that much to know what the treatment is. I'd rather do things naturally. I hate taking all kinds of drugs and tweaking them and changing them w/o finding a resolution to what's causing it.

It is SO frustrating!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

hi irisrose.
as you've been doing lots of research into these heart palps, and had all the tests to make sure they're nothing life-threatening, then you'll know that they are an extremely common symptom of menopause, in fact they're number 2 in the list of 35 common symptoms. i experienced them myself from the age of 49 until just a couple of years ago (i'm now 58) although they did become far less frequent as time went on.
the best advice i can offer you is to try and ignore them now that you know there's nothing wrong with your heart. i know it's easier said than done, but it really is the best (and for most women the ONLY) way to deal with them. they're annoying, frightening and a blooming nuisance, but that's all they are.
they will stop eventually i assure you.
during the worst times of peri i resorted to sleeping tablets. my doctor would give me 14 at a time, and i'd make them last for months and months. they helped as much by knowing i had them in the drawer as they did by giving me an occasional good nights sleep.
best of luck

Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks LiverpoolSue! I know they are a very annoying symptom! Last night I finally decided I HAD to get some sleep. So, as much as I hate doing it, I took enough xanex to stop it to the point I could fall asleep. I have .25 mg and 1/2 is usually all I ever need to make me sleepy. But these palps come with so much anxiety and adrenaline that 1/2 of pill was doing nothing and I suffered nights of 3hrs of sleep because of it. So I took a whole pill and it seemed to knock it down enough to sleep.

Now instead of the flopping heart, it's this burst of adrenaline feeling - like as I'm just ready to nod off someone sneaks up and goes "BOO". Then within minutes I start to nod off again and "boo". That startled feeling, the brief increase in heart rate, the anxious feeling in my chest and head. Only lasts seconds but it just keeps happening. THAT"S the one that is hard to knock out with anything, magnesium, wine and even xanex. But the whole pill worked and I'm hoping with a few nights of solid sleep under my belt will also help to stop this.

There are a lot of peri symptoms but I would have to say this one is by far the most life disrupting!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

liverpool sue HB User

for what it's worth, i think you did the right thing in taking a whole pill and getting a good nights sleep, none of us function well on lack of sleep do we, everything seems a lot worse.
i wonder if those adrenaline feelings you get are something to do with hot flashes? certainly that's exactly how mine started....before the hot part joined in! i would say i got those feelings for maybe 6 months before they became full blown hot flashes, and then they became a warning to me that a flash was imminent.
i haven't had a hot flash in a long time now, although i think my overall temperature has risen and it doesn't take much to make me feel too hot, but definately not in the way the hot flashes used to. the worst thing for me now that i'm well and truly post menopausal is the chin hair, i get more and more each day and fight a losing battle with it. oh joy!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

Add me to the chin hair club! There are 3 clumped closely together on the underside of my chin that I have to harvest every week or so. Fortunately, they're still blond but very bristlely.

I hope hot flashes aren't on the heels of this!! I did have this exact thing 2-3yrs ago that drove me to the cardiologist for tests. And they found a healthy heart. Then this time around started with the palpitations (which could have been electrolytes and nutritional as I've been exercising and dieting to try and lose the perimeno waist bulge). These flopping, skipping heart palps started first. Now those seem to have subsided with all of the supplements and electrolyte drink and all that's left this adrenaline/anxiety surge and it's pretty stubborn this time around It slowly went away last time and I hope it will do the same this time.

And getting a half way decent night's sleep has done wonders! Feel much better than I did yesterday. I felt drugged because I was so tired.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:31 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisrose View Post
... It's still warm and some days it would be pretty hot by the end of my run. And that's when they started - right after about a week of outdoor running.
Palpitations are frequently experienced after being outside, especially on dry, windy days. That is when one is exposed to a significant onslaught of pollens, allergens and irritants.

Unfortunately, the world of Palpitations, PVCs, PACs, Tachycardia is very confusing since there are MANY triggers, not just allergens.

Once one limits their exposure to allergens, the next step is to isolate a different "villain" and then avoid that also, like Caffeine, or Nicotine, or second hand tobacco smoke, etc.

Regards, and best of health to you.

⇒ Avoid allergic & non-allergic irritants/triggers
⇒ Low calorie ovo-vegetarian diet
⇒ Power walk, weight lifts, pushups
⇒ Coreg 25mg bid

Old 09-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machaon View Post
Unfortunately, the world of Palpitations, PVCs, PACs, Tachycardia is very confusing since there are MANY triggers, not just allergens.
I was almost beginning to wonder if my sinuses were playing some role in this. Usually when my allergies are bad (this time of year with ragweed and dry air coming in with the fall) I will use pseudafed to shrink my sinuses and relieve my sinus pressure headache. But since I'm trying to stay away from any kind of stimulants, I thought pseudafed was not a good idea. At one point it felt like the pressure surge started right behind the bridge of my nose and corners of my eyes. Then I would get that weird head rush, anxiety feeling in my chest.

It is impossible to pinpoint any one thing that brings it on. And maybe nothing I'm doing or not doing is responsible. It could just be my hormones and w/o extensive testing who knows what it could be. And I don't want to really get into that right now.

Closed Thread