It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Got rid of the palpitations but exhausted from this adrenaline surge thing

I started taking some supplements for my heart palpitations and ((KNOCK ON WOOD)) think I have gotten those under control. But this wretched adrenaline surge thing during the night is killing me! I searched here as well as other boards on the internet and am shocked at how many people (men and women, young and old) suffer from this.

What I am left with and had this same kind of episode 2-3yr ago is, when I'm sleeping I keep getting jarred awake by what seems like a panic or adrenaline surge. It's been going on now for almost two weeks. It can go on all night long sometimes. I fall asleep only to be woken up by it. Then if I'm lucky and can fall asleep it will keep waking me up all night long. I am beat. I'm getting depressed from the relentlessness of it and sheer fatigue.

Is it perimeno or is it something else? When I went to the ER a couple of weeks ago with the palpitations, everything in my blood work was fine as well as my heart. Please tell me someone else has suffered from this for this long and this often. I'm trying to not let the anxiety lead my mind to thinking something more serious. But it's hard when you have adrenaline rushes causing me to feel jumpy and anxious and very tired. I hate this one so much if it is a part of peri. Very debilitating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
(female)

HappyLefty HB User
Re: Got rid of the palpitations but exhausted from this adrenaline surge thing

I think it is a part of perimenopause. I have felt the exact same way as you do. It could also be an anxiety attack but I am not sure. Maybe you should see a psychiatrist to help rule out anxiety. If the pschiatrist says it is not anxiety, then I would talk to your gynocologist about giving you something to help your perimenopausal symtoms and just maybe it will help the adrenaline rushes that you are having. If the pschiatrist says it is anxiety then he may give you something to take for it and even then it is anxiety it still may well be a part of perimenopause because I have been reading books on menopause/perimenopause and they list that as being a possible symptom. We can give advice on our expierence but our expierence might not be the same as yours. The books I have been reading say that every person's expierence with menopause or perimenopause is slightly different from everyone elses. Me and everyone here will try to help you the best we can. If you could give me more details about the symptoms you have when you have these adrenaline surges, then I may be able to give some more advice that may be more helpful to you than the advice I have given you just now.

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-23-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: removed quote

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
(female)

b0redmember HB Userb0redmember HB User

I am sorry you are having the night surges, I don't have any real advice other than to tell you I used to get them really bad too. Now I get them about once a month and they seem a lot milder so there is hope that this will also pass!

Do you mind saying what supplements helped your palps?

Hang in there!

Last edited by mod-anon; 09-23-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: removed quote

Old 09-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0redmember View Post
I am sorry you are having the night surges, I don't have any real advice other than to tell you I used to get them really bad too. Now I get them about once a month and they seem a lot milder so there is hope that this will also pass!

Do you mind saying what supplements helped your palps?

Hang in there!
Thanks for the hope that this will pass!!

The supplements worked far better than I had expected. You know how you read about a supplement and it sounds so great and the cure for whatever ails you and then the reality is - they don't

I found a book written by a cardiologist at my health food store. Dr. Stephen Sinatra. He's a real cardiologist (not just homeopathic doc) but has begun supplementing his heart patients and has seen improvement in their quality of life. There was a section in his book for PVCs (the kind of heart palp I was getting). He recommended supplementing with CoQ10 180-360 mg per day, L-Carnitine 1000-2000 mg per day, D-Ribose 7-10 grams per day, Magnesium 400-800mg and fish oil 2-3 grams. I began doing that program and my palps were gone within 2 days ((KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)) No flopping around in my chest. Once in awhile I still get one, but not long runs of them that were keeping me awake. I'm not taking the maximum dosages, somewhere in the middle.

I felt ok taking these things because they are all enzymes or nutrients that are in your body but some begin to decrease after the age of 40. CoQ10 begins decreasing with age and it is very beneficial to the heart cells and pumping action of the heart muscle. Same with L-Carnitine. The Ribose is also a complex sugar used by our cells to make energy but as we age begin to not convert our food as efficiently to these sugars for the cells to use. Then of course we all know the benefits of magnesium and fish oil.

And as a side benefit, CoQ10 is supposed to help brain function and has shown some promise in warding of Parkinson's disease. No side effects so far so I'm going to keep taking the stuff for a good long while till I feel normal - whenever that may be.

Closed Thread