It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
I asked for an RX for a beta blocker

I didn't want to. But I have got to get some sleep! The palpitations, although not completely gone, have decreased in severity. I had a bad bout Sunday but ate a banana and drank a cup of magnesium drink and they went away for the rest of the night. So I've been upping my potassium intake with my food and am hoping that that might get rid of them once and for all!

But I went back to the dr today to take a look at a suspicious mole I forgot to show her at my palpitation appt. And I talked to her about these adrenaline spurts I keep getting at bedtime and it keeps me awake or keeps waking me up during the night. I know if I could get a few nights of 8 hour sleep, these things would probably go away like they have in the past. So a beta blocker seems to be the only thing that will block the adrenaline that seems to be surging at night.

She gave me the generic Inderal. That one seems like the scariest of the beta blockers but she told me it would be the best for taking on an as need basis - like people do for performance anxiety. She doesn't want me taking it daily, just at night when I feel the adrenaline/anxiety thing. I hate taking pharmaceuticals. They scare me. This beta blocker scares me but I'll give it a try, I guess.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: I asked for an RX for a beta blocker

Have you tried benedryl?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I've got xanex and it doesn't stop the anxiety or panicky feeling. I've been dealing with this now for about a month and if "feels" like adrenaline rushes. Small spurts that shoot into my body shocking me back awake. I don't know if my body is so tired and so the adrenaline that keeps we awake during the day doesn't know to shut off at night when I need to sleep.

I sleep but only for an hour to an hour and a 1/2 at a time. I sleep then I'm awake, I sleep again then I'm awake. Then I will come more fully awake around 2 or 3 am and then part of it is my fault. I anticipate it to start happening and as soon as I do, boom, a shot of adrenaline or a flash of anxiety or fear and then it continues on.

I don't want to get put on some daily drug. I'm fine during the day. But either something has gotten out of whack with my hormones for nighttime or I have habituated myself into a state of anticipation and in turn this anxiety from dealing with it the past month. I have been trying supplements of all kinds and nothing is stopping it - so I guess it's time to take a drug. And if this is one I don't have to take to build up in my system for a week or two like if it was for my blood pressure, I feel better about that. But I never have been a pill popper and never thought the day would come that I'd be going to the doctor begging for a pill to fix something for me. I hate perimeno if that is what's causing this!

Old 09-28-2010, 08:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

irisrose: Dr. Oz had a show on last week telling about drinking either warm milk or tart cherry juice before bed. The milk creates tryptophan and helps you sleep. It's just like eating turkey on Thanksgiving. The turkey makes you sleepy because of the tryptophan. The cherry juice makes melatonin. You can also buy melatonin and take it. It's a hormone that's made by the pineal gland and is reduced as we age. It's produced alot in our early years and is responsible for the insomnia at menopause.

I bought a 3mg tablet and have been cutting it in 1/2 and it's been enough with just the 1/2 pill. Read up on it a little more. Good luck

Old 09-28-2010, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

It's not that I'm not tired and it's not that I can't sleep, like my mind is busy or won't shut off. It's an actual physiological thing that starts as soon as I begin to drift off to sleep. I can lay down feeling perfectly normal and exhausted but as soon as I start drifting off, something goes haywire inside my body and jolts me awake. I feel it's some kind of adrenaline rush and the only thing that I have found that can block adrenaline is a beta blocker.

I have spent oodles of money on supplements in the past month with nothing fixing this particular issue. So I don't think I'm going to spend anymore. I'll try this beta blocker on an as need basis and see if I can get some decent sleep. If not, I'm going to go see an endocrinologist and have all of my hormone levels checked. As much as my doctor wants to concentrate on my heart, it's not initiating in with my heart - it's something adrenal.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
gogo548 (06-24-2012)
Closed Thread