It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

GG7 HB User
Menopause and Hormone Replacement

I am a 61 y.o. female with low estrogen, progesterone, testosterone. Am wondering if anyone out there is using bioidentical progesterone or testosterone and what effects is it having? I used both for 6 weeks and my LDL went up 30 points and TSH levels rose, and blood sugar was high for first time ever!

I need to know your experience as I'd like to use these hormones for positive effects I felt.
Thanks!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
(female)

jwatt HB Userjwatt HB Userjwatt HB User
Re: Menopause and Hormone Replacement

Hi GG7
You had your LDL checked after you had been on the HRT for 6 weeks ..or was that just a yearly test..maybe your LDL was already high..I have been on bio Identical hormones for over 10 years..and my LDL has never gone up.. I'm also on progesterone also.. I'm 65 and hope to be able to keep taking it ..I like the way it makes me feel also have been thinking about adding some testosterone but need to have blood work done to see where my levels are...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 AM   #3
(female)

GG7 HB User

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm so happy to hear from a 65 y.o. woman taking progesterone!

I had the bloodwork done after using progesterone and testosterone (bioidentical, compounded cream) for 6 weeks. The numbers had increased significantly since my annual blood work done in March:

LDL-up approximately 30 points, in high range
HDL-down approximately 15 points
Blood sugar (fasting)--101 (high)
TSH--up for me (2.8) It usually runs 2.1 or so.

I love the feeling both the progesterone and testosterone give me and really want to be able to take both. I went off HRT for two weeks and re-checked blood sugar (fasting); it was down to 85.

My hunch is that the progesterone may affect blood sugar and TSH. And the testosterone affects blood lipids, raising LDL and lowering HDL. This is in the research done on males.

I've asked my dr. to give me a retest on lipids, blood sugar,& TSH, after being off HRT for 1 month in order to establish a baseline. Then I'd try progesterone only and retest in a month to see if it affects the numbers. (one thing at a time)

I so want to be proven wrong!

Please, post-menopausal women, send your experiences! There's no research online for us Thanks!
Gayle, age 61

Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
(female)

fena HB User

hi jwatt,couldn't hrt put you more at risk of cancer? i'm 49 and have been thinking of taking hrt but afraid of cancer risks due to family history. but about how much do you spend for the treatment? is it expensive?

fena

Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
(female)

Hi Fena
I have been on HRT since i was 50 and i'm 65 now ..I just think its a crap shoot ..you weigh how lousey you feel if you don't take it ...and personally I feel so good on it..and just plain misuralble when I'm not on them.. and i'm going to keep taking them and I have a Drs appointment on the nov 3 and want to add some testosterone to the mix.. but it is a individual choice for each women..now my sister she never used HRT and at 70 had uterine cancer ..so you can never tell ..but my sister had years of suffering from hot flashes and anxiety and really was it worth all the suffering ....When I was
working my insurance paid for my compounding HRT but now that I'm retired I have to pay for it my self.. its about 70 dollars a month...

Old 11-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
(female)

Locket25 HB User

I am over 70 and been on HRT for 24 years and CANNOT get off it as just gone back on it after STRUGGLING for 8 months with no quality of life because of night sweats and day flushes on the hour every hour 24/7 I am on the patch both Oestrogen and Prog. but it is taking me SO long to get anywhere near what I was before the last 8 months I do not think I will ever try to get off HRT again.
I would love to hear from anyone been on HRT more than 25 years? anyone? I have tried I believe every natural treatment known to woman but nothing works for me.
All the best
Phyl.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
(female)

Hi
I am 65 and have been using HRT since I was 48.. I have tried different kinds but for the last 10 years have been on a bioidentical hormones..I plan on continuing them as long as the Doctor will continue to write them..its been difficult to find doctors who will do it..but it makes my life worth living .I'm an active women just want to continue feeling good.. just started down hill skiing last year and can now do green runs can't wait for the snow so i can practice, practice, practice..
glad to see you have posted here it is not easy to find someone who is our age who is still on hormones..

Old 11-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I'm 64 - 65 in January - and have been on HRT for about 8 years and BCP for 12 years before that. I went straight from bcp to HRT. I've considered getting off but every time I talk with my gyno she reminds me that symptoms can come back for as long as 3 years and that's just not something I want to face. I like my sleep too much! And my good humored moods...as does everyone around me!

Old 11-20-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I am 61 and just started bHRT two weeks ago. I had a hyster at 36 and was fine til 49 when menopause started. So i started on estrogen only.

Boy that was such a mistake. I gained weight but at least my symptoms went away.
But I went from a 10- to a 12 and then when I went to the Estradiol patch at 55 I went up to a 14.

Finally last year I quit everything and lost 30 lbs. But I couldn't sleep and had hot flashes again and sex was uncomfortable.

So I am now on bioidenticals plus compounded B vitamins.
There is a big difference finally. MY new doc said it takes about 2 to 3 weeks to see how I do on the added progesterone. But my stomach is finally flattening out after 5 years. And my energy is up.

To the OP you are taking estrogen right? Because progesterone not balanced by at least some estrogen will have nasty effects.
I am not on testosterone and perhaps that is contributing to the increase in your cholesterol.

I have 1/2 thyroid gland and take synthroid. My doc said my T will work better because of these added compounds so I may have to change the level of syn.
I want to feel good as long as possible.

She said years ago a 50-55 yr old woman with 3-7 kids felt and looked old in menopause and after because no one could do anything about it.
There is no reason for not taking the natural hormones.

the synthetics that insurance will cover are not as good. For some people it's ok but for me premarin was a poison.
I say stay on your bioidenticals and tell your doc how you feel. They are in cream form and can be adjusted.

The Bs are definitely needed after 60, so many elderly are deficient and have dementia because of lack of the B complex especially B12. it helps with the nervous system and focusing.

Closed Thread