It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #1
(female)

fena HB User
Angry estrogen

i'm afraid to try estrogen (doctor wants to perscribe) for my menopause symptoms but due to family history of cancer everyone i know tell me NOT to take them. can anyone out there share their opinion or experience.

fena

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User
Re: estrogen

There is bioidentical also.......They recommend progesterone first because it balances out your other hormones.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

What kind of cancer runs in your family?

Old 03-31-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
(female)

fena HB User

colon,breast,lymphoma.

fena

Old 04-01-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

kittywitty HB Userkittywitty HB User

Fena, does your doctor know about your family history? If so, I'd find another doctor ASAP. It doesn't sound like this one is the brightest bulb! You should not be taking estrogen if you have a family history of breast cancer.

Last edited by kittywitty; 04-01-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I sat this past week with my doctor and had a nice long visit about this subject. He told me that the studies show that bioidenticals and prescription hormones are the same when it comes to the risks. He said the studies show that if you take hrt for 1-4yrs and stop you are at no greater risk then you were before you took them. However, after 5 years the risk increases. The only issue I see between the two is one is covered by insurance and one is not. The doctor my doc will send me to if I opt for bio-ids is going to cost in the range of $250-300 a month. I cannot afford that. The other option is acupuncture acupressure that I do believe in, but again not covered by insurance. I will have to decide this week because I am suffering awful hot flashes. I need relief of somekind. i never imagined having hot flashes as my sister and mother did not nor did they take hrt's. Why me? good question.

bits

Old 04-03-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
(female)

fena HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backinthesaddle View Post
I sat this past week with my doctor and had a nice long visit about this subject. He told me that the studies show that bioidenticals and prescription hormones are the same when it comes to the risks. He said the studies show that if you take hrt for 1-4yrs and stop you are at no greater risk then you were before you took them. However, after 5 years the risk increases. The only issue I see between the two is one is covered by insurance and one is not. The doctor my doc will send me to if I opt for bio-ids is going to cost in the range of $250-300 a month. I cannot afford that. The other option is acupuncture acupressure that I do believe in, but again not covered by insurance. I will have to decide this week because I am suffering awful hot flashes. I need relief of somekind. i never imagined having hot flashes as my sister and mother did not nor did they take hrt's. Why me? good question.

bits
if you can tolerate soy that helps me with hot flashes i don't get as many
fena

Old 04-12-2011, 07:43 AM   #8
(male)

tkh1957 HB User

My doctor says that the natural bio-identical estogen is safe if the rest of your hormones are balanced. I wondered too since my mom's mom died of breast cancer. My mom was on Premarin for years before they knew all this and she's 82 and in good health.

Closed Thread