It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

dcs316 HB Userdcs316 HB User
New to heart palps, but not peri

Hi everyone,
I haven't posted for awhile but have been keeping up reading everyone else's posts. Quick background: I'm 45, been going thru peri for about 3 yrs. now, haven't had a period since June of this year (praying that was my last one but knowing I won't be that lucky!) and am generally very healthy and work out daily. So it's been a rough year as far as the peri is concerned -- night sweats, hot flashes, no sleep, anxiety, little or no libido, crampiness, -- you all know what I'm talking about! Well up until now I've been spared the heart palpitations that I've read about on other posts. Well about 10 days ago out of the blue there they were. At times it feels like a skipped beat, other times like my heart is pounding or racing. And it's pretty much been constant ever since then. And it's scary. I cut back on caffeine and started on a magnesium supplement (advice from somebody!) but it hasn't helped. I'm sure my worrying about it has made it worse. I guess my question is, is it normal that once you get them that they are there all the time? Or do I need to get this checked out? I don't want to run to my dr. for every little thing. What gets me is that I just had my yearly GYN appt. about 3 days before these hit me!! Anyway, if any of you could just tell me about your experiences with these to help calm me down a little, I would really appreciate it. You know, it's just one thing after another with this peri crap!!! Thanks for listening and for all your other posts out there. It really does help to know I'm not alone!!!
p.s. My GYN gave me an rx for topical testosterone cream for the low libido. She said it may or may not help. It figures that's the only symptom they can do something about! It's a man's world! I'll let you know.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: New to heart palps, but not peri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcs316 View Post
Hi everyone,
I haven't posted for awhile but have been keeping up reading everyone else's posts. Quick background: I'm 45, been going thru peri for about 3 yrs. now, haven't had a period since June of this year (praying that was my last one but knowing I won't be that lucky!) and am generally very healthy and work out daily. So it's been a rough year as far as the peri is concerned -- night sweats, hot flashes, no sleep, anxiety, little or no libido, crampiness, -- you all know what I'm talking about! Well up until now I've been spared the heart palpitations that I've read about on other posts. Well about 10 days ago out of the blue there they were. At times it feels like a skipped beat, other times like my heart is pounding or racing. And it's pretty much been constant ever since then. And it's scary. I cut back on caffeine and started on a magnesium supplement (advice from somebody!) but it hasn't helped. I'm sure my worrying about it has made it worse. I guess my question is, is it normal that once you get them that they are there all the time? Or do I need to get this checked out?

Yes in my opinion, I would get this checked out. We are all dependent on our hearts for life itself.

I don't want to run to my dr. for every little thing.

I don't call the heart "every little thing". And I suppose an ambulance might be wise for that.

What gets me is that I just had my yearly GYN appt. about 3 days before these hit me!! Anyway, if any of you could just tell me about your experiences with these to help calm me down a little, I would really appreciate it. You know, it's just one thing after another with this peri crap!!! Thanks for listening and for all your other posts out there. It really does help to know I'm not alone!!!
p.s. My GYN gave me an rx for topical testosterone cream for the low libido. She said it may or may not help. It figures that's the only symptom they can do something about! It's a man's world! I'll let you know.......

Old 11-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi dcs316,

Why do some of the posters have to be so abrasive? Yes, alot of us experiencing peri/meno are having heart palpitations. They are extremely frightening. After reading alot of posts, I think they are common among alot of us. Please if you think your mind won't be at ease until you have it checked out go see a doctor. But I truly believe it's all related to peri/meno.

Take care my friend and know I just had a really bad one not too long ago that scared the witts out of me.

Missy

Last edited by missy222; 11-09-2010 at 08:49 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to missy222:
dcs316 (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
(female)

Thanks Missy! The more I read these posts and other things online the more I see how common they are. They just came on so suddenly that it caught me off guard. So I think I'm going to take a 'wait and see' attitude before I get it checked out. Like I said, I'm in good health otherwise. I guess you just have to be prepared for anything with this peri stuff! Who said the 40s are the best years of your life?????
Diane

Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

For your own peace of mind, you should have it checked. I'll bet dollars to donuts your heart is healthy, just like all of us here. It is the MOST annoying peri symptom I have had to date. Except for maybe my insomnia.

Yes, they can come on out of now where and they can last for days or weeks. Mine started around labor day - they came on fast and furious and they were relentless. All day long, all night long. I couldn't sleep because they were so strong. I finally got in with the cardiologist for an echo and my heart is fine. No explanation for the pvcs/palpitations.

I do now see a pattern that mine start with my period and run the entire 2 weeks till after I ovulate. So something with my estrogen is what is causing mine - a drop or too much. I finally went to a holistic dr who prescribed natural hormone replacement of progesterone. I will start tomorrow and am hoping so hard that it will at least help with the insomnia. I just want to be able to fall asleep and sleep for 4 hours straight. I wake up every hour or sometimes wake up and can't fall back to sleep.

I have come to an unwilling acceptance of the heart palps. I know they won't kill me and they really don't scare me, just make me incredibly annoyed and frustrated. But I can even fall asleep with them now.

I don't know if mine will ever totally disappear. I can hope. But for now, I look forward to the last 2 weeks of my cycle because that seems to be the only time I get a little break. I just ovulated so the palps have been lessening. But I will tell you the last two weeks, pretty much every day. During my period, non stop all day long every hour. Then this past week I might get a few hours on each day w/o any. I hate them. But I can deal with them far better now that I saw the cardiologist and my heart is healthy and these annoying things won't kill me. So dealing with them is easier.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:16 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks irisrose! The more I read the posts on this board the more convinced I am that these are peri related. I don't know what I'd do without all you girls on this board!!! I have no way of knowing what prompted mine to suddenly start since I haven't had a period since June but with peri it appears pretty much anything goes. There is no rhyme or reason. I can totally relate to you with the insomnia, too. I have not slept thru a night since the beginning of summer and I hate it!! I wake up several times a night -- sometimes because of night sweats and sometimes for no apparent reason at all. Many times I just lay there wide awake with no hope of getting back to sleep. It's very frustrating. You'd think eventually we'd sleep a whole night out of sheer exhaustion!! Anyway, thanks again for the input. After everything I've read here and elsewhere online I'm sticking with my wait-and-see attitude before I go to the doctor since I am in good health and exercise daily. If they drag on too long I'll get it checked out. Meanwhile I'll just be hanging in there with the rest of you. Take care! Diane

Old 12-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

How long do your heart palps last? I am almost 43 and still having periods, but I think Peri is creeping up on me. I had a few heart palps 4-5 years ago when I became hypothyroid, along with a BUNCH of other issues. Those seemed to be just a palp here and there. I've had issues on and off the last few months of being lightheaded and these past few days I have been very lightheaded and have had heart fluttering a lot. I did see a cardiologist a few years ago and things were fine then. And the last time I was having issues with lighheadedness I asked my doc I see for my thyroid if she thought it might be heart related and she said that if it was my heart it would not come and go, but be more constant. So these past couple of days I feel pretty good when I wake up but by the end of the day I feel pretty icky fromthe heart palps and lightheadedness. Do you gals think that is normal for peri?

(Also, all my thyroid results came back good so I know that is not the issue right now, but I do also have issues with adrenal fatigue.)

I also wanted to add that I have started my period today, and that is why I am wondering if this is all hormonal. Any one else notice that?

Last edited by Heckofagal; 12-09-2010 at 05:15 PM.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I have had heart palpitations that last all day and through the night with maybe a couple of hours break - for days. I went to cardiologist and my heart is fine.

I think the doctors always want to check if you are having other symptoms with the heart palps like pain, light headedness or fainting. But you need to decide if you are light headed from the palps or if you aren't breathing normally because of the palps. They can be very annoying and stressful. I have found I breath shallow or not relaxed when I have them. They don't bother me so much now because I have figured out it's tied specifically to my period so it doesn't worry so much anymore. But in the beginning, it was physically draining. I would be exhausted from them flopping all day long.

So you might want to have them checked out for your own peace of mind. But heart palps can cause so much stress and stress can cause a domino effect.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
(female)

Well after having them on and off all day long every day since posting this message I finally decided to have it checked out just for my own peace of mind. Honestly I think worrying about it was just making it worse. I would get occasional lightheadedness/dizziness but again, I don't know if it was from the palps or my anxiety over them. So just this week my doctor sent me for an ekg, an echocardiogram and I wore a holter monitor from yesterday to this afternoon. She also did some bloodwork. I should have some results next week. Hopefully she'll tell me I'm fine and this is yet another symptom of peri that I can add to my very long list. Why not? I have just about every one there is!! I'll keep you posted. Hang in there with the rest of us!!!!!!!! Diane

Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Diane,

Thanks for your updated post. I am sure everything will be alright. Let us know the results okay?

Missy

Old 01-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
(female)

Happy New Year everyone!
Just a quick update to the ongoing saga of my heart palps. In Dec. I had an echocardiogram, ekg, and holter monitor test done. The results came back slightly abnormal so my doctor sent me to a cardiologist and I had that appt. today. As it turns out I have a slight problem with my mitral valve not quite working correctly. It's not serious and it's not leaking or anything but he suspects this is what is causing the palps. He said he didn't know why there was such a sudden increase in them. When I asked him if perimenopause could be a possible culprit he said 'absolutely yes'. So even though there is a physical reason for my palps, peri can -- and most likely is -- making them worse and happen on a more regular basis. So he's going to try me on a very low dose of some meds to see if he can get them under control. If only he could get the 100 other peri symptoms controlled too!!! So that's my story. There's at least one doctor out there who believes there is a connection between palps and peri. Hang in there and lets try to make this a great 2011! Diane

Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Diane,

So glad to hear that your problem can be easily corrected with Meds. That has to be a great relief to know that it's not anything serious. Also glad to hear that there is a doc that believes peri can cause palps. My doctor still insists mine are from anxiety. Well, heck, I wouldn't have the anxiety if I didn't have the palps and the long list of other peri symptoms!!!

Take care and I hope the meds start helping right away.

Happy New Year!
Missy

Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi Diane, I am glad you got things figured out. It's always a relief to know what's going on. I am sure that you are just having palps generally with perimenopause. I get them in spurts. I will have them for awhile then go months without any. Usually I get a bunch if my progesterone is dropping too low. Hang in there! We are here with you!

Old 01-06-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

I'm glad you have some answers and will hopefully be getting some help in reducing or eliminating those darned things. November was a great month for me. Hardly no palps. Then in Dec, I got my period and WHAM there they were and there they stayed. Finally one week after ovulating, they have stopped again. So my pattern is definitely tied to when I'm producing the most estrogen - the days leading up to ovulation and for days afterwards, daily, hourly or ever few hours. But not a day without the. I've grown to viewing them as an annoyance, but nothing more. Hopefully one day my body will adapt to this hormone level and they will go away! A girl can always hope, right?

Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi Have there been any heavy weights lifted?

Closed Thread