It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
I don't want to get too excited

But I think the natural hormone replacement progesterone might be working

I started taking it on Friday night before bed like my dr. told me to do. Sat and Sun nights, I actually slept in blocks of hours instead of waking every single hour of the night. I'll hopefully know more in the nights to come. Sat and Sun night I had a sick boy with strep throat and he was up a lot and feeling bad so would come get me out of bed. So not great sleep, but the fact that I would sleep for 3 straight hours instead of waking up each and every hour is something I haven't done since the end of August. And the palps are greatly reduced

I so hope this is the right track and I can get this peri down to a manageable level to live with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #2
(female)

rayel HB Userrayel HB User
Re: I don't want to get too excited

Quote:
Originally Posted by irisrose View Post
But I think the natural hormone replacement progesterone might be working

I started taking it on Friday night before bed like my dr. told me to do. Sat and Sun nights, I actually slept in blocks of hours instead of waking every single hour of the night. I'll hopefully know more in the nights to come. Sat and Sun night I had a sick boy with strep throat and he was up a lot and feeling bad so would come get me out of bed. So not great sleep, but the fact that I would sleep for 3 straight hours instead of waking up each and every hour is something I haven't done since the end of August. And the palps are greatly reduced

I so hope this is the right track and I can get this peri down to a manageable level to live with.

Congrats to you, I hope it keeps improving! Would you please give me some more info about what you're taking? I'm perimenopausal and just took myself off of prescription hrt. After about 2 months I was bleeding heavily and constantly so my doc added extra prescription progesterone to control that, but it only worked for about a week. I kept going for another couple of weeks but couldn't deal with it any longer. I went from having a light period every 6 months to a constant period. However, the extra progesterone did seem to help with my anxiety, etc...Hope the little guy with the strep is feeling better.

Thanks in advance,
rayel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User

I went to a holistic doctor because all of the doctors I had been seeing seemed to either dismiss me or want to give me amdien or xanex or some other pharmaceutical with side effects.

This doctor prescribed natural progesterone, sub-lingual that is made by a compounding pharmacy. You still need a prescription. I talked to the pharmacist at the compounding pharmacy about what this progesterone is made from. It is made from Mexican wild yam and then the molecular structure is tweaked to mimic progesterone in a woman's body. I have had no side effects from it except that it seems to counter balance my estrogen which was causing insomnia and anxiety. I hope it continues. I can always increase my dosage as needed. My dr likes the sub-lingual progesterone because it's rapid uptake into the blood stream. He is of the opinion that progesterone creams will build up in fatty tissue and then you can have too much which can in turn throw other hormones out of balance.

Were you taking synthetic progesterone? If so, try finding someone who will prescribe natural progesterone. Then if you need to adjust your dosage to make a difference in your periods, you may not have any side effects like you would with pharmaceutical progesterone.

The Following User Says Thank You to irisrose For This Useful Post:
rayel (11-15-2010)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Irisrose,

Great news, I'm happy for you!!! When I first started taking natural progesterone cream, It took about a week to finally notice a difference, so it looks like you are well on your way. Your pharmacist is very smart. I have done research on the wild yam cream and yes it has to be chemically altered in a pharmacy to have an effect. Alot of women think they can go buy wild yam cream at a health food store, but in fact it will have no effect. Good to know that the progesterone cream can build up in fatty tissue, I didn't know that. I guess that's why you are supposed to apply to different places on your body each time. Whoops, going to have to start doing that!!

Well, good luck to you and I hope you start finding the relief you need.

Missy

Old 11-15-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Thanks Missy!
From what I have read the best places to apply cream is where the the skin is thin and there is not much fatty tissue - like the insides of your arms, wrists and neck.

And I had been using the health food store progesterone cream with very little effect. I didn't know about the wild yam stuff until I really started to research it all. And the health food store creams will give directions to rub it on your belly, hips or insides of your thighs. Talk about areas with the most fatty tissue!

I'm not even taking the full dose yet. He wanted me to take 25mg per day but I started at 1/2 of that to see how I would react. I heard if you get a big dose of progesterone it can make you lethargic. Which wouldn't be bad for my bedtime issues. But I wanted to be sure that lethargy didn't carry over into the morning when I got up. So I will work up when I need to.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that this will work for a good long time. I know sometimes things seem like they work and then they stop. But I'm hoping with the help of my new doctor we can keep changing things up to keep me feeling better!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

golfhat HB Usergolfhat HB Usergolfhat HB User

I am 61 and was still having meno symptoms, hot flashes, the works. So a new doc said so you still need progesterone along with estrogen. I had a hyster at 36 and did fine and went into meno at 5.

Back at age 50 I started with oral meds and that was ok but I gained 20 lbs i have never lost in these 10 years.

last year i got off estradiol and lost 20 lbs. But all my symptoms came back!!

So now I trying bioidenticals progesterone and some estrogen. No more oral synthetic meds.

Hot flashes have stopped and finally my stomach is flattening. I do the cream. under I put it on sides or my thighs or on inner arm --

I too have trouble staying asleep. it is driving me nuts.
So far I am staying asleep more but not totally.

and I am still waking up early. But I am calmer and I can think before I say something.
My thinking is clearer too.

maybe this year I will enjoy winter and be able to wear a sweater inside the house.

They say when you get older you need less sleep. But I sleep just fine in front of the tv!

I am pumped up about this, so I say go for it if you have the chance to get the compounded hormones.

Last edited by golfhat; 11-21-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:23 AM   #7
(female)

oneida HB User

I use emerita progesterone cream. It is recommended by Dr. Christine Northrup.Just started using it a few days ago .I have notice some relief.
Oneida

Old 02-06-2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Well, something is changing Thursday began with a night of that anxiety feeling in my chest. Like when you get super nervous and feel that anxiety in your chest and up to your head. Kept getting flashes of that all day long. Then the last few nights have been back to waking every 1 1/2 hours My period is due this coming week and usually my symptoms intensify during that time - even with the progesterone. But this past week has been an increase in heart palps, breast soreness and insomnia the last few nights.

I'm going to up my sublingual progesterone to see if I see a difference. I really, really don't want to go back to insomnia. I lived 2 months with 4-5 hrs of sleep and just dragging every day. I was so happy when the progesterone seemed to help with that. Now it's back. I wonder if your body adjusts to the amount of progesterone and then you need to increase it. Does anyone know?

I am so sick of this! You get to some place of contentment and then BOOM here it all is again.

Closed Thread