It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User
Do you have increased body hair with meno?

I am 50, FSH/LH in the 60s last year, and my last period was last January. I have noticed an INCREASE in facial hair and hair on my upper inside thighs. Has anyone else noticed that their body hair has increased?? I remember my sister going into meno in her 40s and commenting how she barely had to shave her legs anymore, and here I am having faster, coarser hair growth!!

Old 11-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User
Re: Do you have increased body hair with meno?

sue1234: The hair is a sign of higher testosterone. Have that checked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Sue 1234,

It is a sign of too much testerone, but completely normal during meno. I have noticed a definite decrease in calf hair on the legs, but have noticed an increase in coarse hair in places I do not want it. For instance, long bristly ones coming out of my breasts, one eyebrow hair that put's Albert Einstien to shame, long ones coming out of my forearms that grow to be about 3 inches long. Don't let me forget my moustache that I have to pluck daily and my beard right below my lower lip, let alone the peach fuzz that has taken over my whole face!!!!!! Oh and I forgot to mention with all my new hair growth, I am also going bald on my head!!! So yes, in a nutshell, I can relate.

Hang in there,
Missy

Old 11-17-2010, 06:56 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sue1234 HB User

Thanks! Yes, I assume I have somewhat elevated testosterone, but wasn't sure if that was kind of normal in meno, once the estrogen wasn't there overriding the testosterone.

Oh yea, I've had that one looong eyebrow hair too!!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #5
(female)

emeraldsea HB Useremeraldsea HB User

Ditto on the increase in facial hair "issues"...I started to have that several years ago (I'm 49). In fact, that was my first sign of peri. I began to get a couple of blonde/whitish, coarser hairs on my chin. They have continued, so I just pluck them as they appear...No real biggie. What has become an annoyance has been the increase of hair above my upper lip. Fortunately it is blonde, so again, I just pluck them as they appear, although the last year, some of these have begun to grow back darker after I pluck them. As for leg hair, I too have noticed that it has generally begun to decrease somewhat and has also become finer. As far as head hair goes, I have had Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism) for the last 13 years, and some thinning tends to go with that, so it would be hard to know how much peri/meno has contributed to that, although I haven't really noticed an increase in head hair loss since peri began (thank goodness). Isn't this fun?? It is good to know that we aren't alone in going through all this...Unfortunately, we all seem to have LOTS of company!

Old 12-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
(male)

johnkansas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsea View Post
Ditto on the increase in facial hair "issues"...I started to have that several years ago (I'm 49). In fact, that was my first sign of peri. I began to get a couple of blonde/whitish, coarser hairs on my chin. They have continued, so I just pluck them as they appear...No real biggie. What has become an annoyance has been the increase of hair above my upper lip. Fortunately it is blonde, so again, I just pluck them as they appear, although the last year, some of these have begun to grow back darker after I pluck them. As for leg hair, I too have noticed that it has generally begun to decrease somewhat and has also become finer. As far as head hair goes, I have had Graves Disease (hyperthyroidism) for the last 13 years, and some thinning tends to go with that, so it would be hard to know how much peri/meno has contributed to that, although I haven't really noticed an increase in head hair loss since peri began (thank goodness). Isn't this fun?? It is good to know that we aren't alone in going through all this...Unfortunately, we all seem to have LOTS of company!
My wife has had significant moustache growth since she was a teenager, but once she passed 40 her beard started growing in -- at 55 she now has to shave it every day. However her leg hair, which used to be very heavy, has almost disappeared.

Last edited by johnkansas; 12-10-2010 at 02:59 PM.

Closed Thread