It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Menopause Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
(female)

kymi7 HB User
Don't know where to start

Hello, I have used these boards in my futile quest at fertility and now need help with symptoms of peri menopause. 47 years old, and feeling like I have no where to turn. I have the following symptoms: very dry skin, hot flashes, shortness of breath, edema, mood swings (sometimes hopelessness and not being able to think of anything positive), eyesight changes, MEMORY loss (sometimes can't even remember the morning).....I have had blood work regularly over the years and thyroid is supposedly normal, high blood and cholesteral (take meds regularly), but the fatigue is really high also. My question is : hrt? okay with meds? any help with the memory loss? and edema...by the end of the day my clothes are so tight it's painful...face is swollen too. I am not overweight per doctors...

The following user gives a hug of support to kymi7:
Searchin (11-16-2010)
Old 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

irisrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB Useririsrose HB User
Re: Don't know where to start

Go out and read about estrogen dominance. All of your symptoms sound like it.

I bought a book called Natural Hormone Balance that explains your hormones and how they work during your cycle, when they peak when they drop etc. So I finally started paying attention to my body and how the symptoms might be tied to more estrogen circulating in my body and when more progesterone should be.

I finally went to a holistic doctor to get some natural progesterone hormone replacement. Most women in perimenopause are lacking enough progesterone to count balance the estrogen. Everything you said you are experiencing are definite symptoms of estrogen dominance. That doesn't mean you are making too much estrogen, it just means that your body isn't producing as much progesterone as it did when you were in your 20s so your estrogen is the predominant hormone you have.

My symptoms were heart palpitations, hair loss and insomnia. The palps and insomnia were the most severe the first 2 weeks of my cycle. Then the last 2 weeks of my cycle when I would be producing more progesterone, the palps and insomnia didn't go away totally but let up a lot. So that says my body likes when I have more progesterone. But I still wasn't making enough in relation to the estrogen so that is where my doctor and I are starting. I will tell you that I've only been taking it since Friday and have noticed a huge difference in my sleep. I can fall asleep within 20 minutes and I am sleeping in blocks of hours instead of waking up every single hour. Sometimes waking and not being able to fall asleep. And during the day, I feel almost normal compared to how I've felt for the past 2 1/2 months which were awful!

If you can, whatever dr you see, try to get natural progesterone. Try not to let anyone talk you into estrogen supplementation! Progesterone is pretty darn safe, synthetic estrogen is not. And you really sound like you need some progesterone to off set your estrogen.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

Do you have a history of heart problems? Is the edema pitting? By that I mean if you stick your finger in the top of your lower leg does an indention stay there? HRT tends to cause swelling or fluid retention. Particularly with women in menopause the kidney's become a bit tired and fluid is retained. Women in menopause have a hard time holding water as it is. Try limiting your fluid intake to no more than a quart or litre a day. Cut down on your sodium intake as well as salty foods. A natural remedy for fluid retention would be Dandelion. It nourishes and tones the kidneys, adrenals and liver while increasing food digestibility. Some common foods that would help you are corn, cornsilk tea, cucumber, asparagus, watermelon and grapes.

Now what concerns me is that your face is swollen. What about your abdomen? It would be a good idea to begin measuring your girth in the same place at the same time each day. Also weigh yourself daily. Record all.

The shortness of breath also concerns me and I think it would be a good idea to get in to see your doctor asap.
I hope this helped and let me know what you find out. Sincerely, searchin

Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
(female)

kymi7 HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and give me some suggestions. No, the edema is not pitting.. and the comment about the kidneys..I cannot keep out of the bathroom at work. Used to be in there once MAYBE twice a day now it's five to six. I have been told about the salty foods and I will cut down. I was so good a couple of years ago, with diet and exersize now I work 10 a day with a 45 minute train ride on each end. The heart issue I had checked out and the cariologist pretty much dismissed me..even though my 41 year old brother had quintaple bypass surgery in March..heridatary issues. I never thought to measure myself and will start tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
(female)

kymi7 HB User

I have never heard of this...I will research tonight!! The hair loss happened to me about a year ago. My cycle has been non existent for 8 months....the heart palipations really bother me at work..probably stress is involved also. I will certainly take your advice.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #6
(female)

roseyjim HB User

just glad to have someone to talk to about this stuff. I just picked this thread cause it thats me, Where DO you start right!! mannnnnn this peri menopause crap sux, I'm 52, still having periods, my gyno put me on the pill to help me with these symptoms but I wonder if its enough, I have anxiety, i can sleep with tylenol pm but boy you sure do realize how important sleep is during this time, I feel like I'm doing this cold turkey cause my blood work was good, no thyroid issues but tell that to my thinning hair so you know what, I'm gonna treat myself to a cute hair piece extension what ever and try to feel good again,,,is that possible, are we doomed for ever to feel like this???? I still work full time, very busy, maybe thats a good thing cause I seem to still do my work ok but I have to really focus. here lately I feel so out of it like I'm in a dream, not really here, that scares me. I too feel the heart palpatations but I've seen a cardiologist and I'm ok. Are there OTC meds that can help with this feeling of doom and nervousness??? is primrose oil any good....HELP IN DALLAS ...really it just feels good to talk about it, i'm glad I'm not alone

Old 12-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User92261 HB User

roseyjim: the primrose oil is a good idea. For help with insomnia you can take melatonin. It's a hormone that's excreted by the pineal gland and reduces as we age. You can also try drinking some warm milk before bed. It creates tryptophan just like turkey and helps you sleep. For the thining hair, try adding some zinc supplements to your diet.

I'd also recommend increasing your magnesium, selenium, Vit B6, B12 and even Vit D. When's the last time you had your vitamins checked by your doctor?

Using progesterone cream will help you sleep better also. It's the calming hormone and when your ovaries are having anovulatory cycles the production of this slows down.

Are you a caffeine drinker? If so, caffeine reduces magnesium in your body. You know if you've got enough magnesium because you'll end up with the diarreha. Eat more foods like fish, nuts, dark chocolate and beets.

Some people breeze through this with few problems and some just get the full gamut of problems.

Also get your blood sugars checked if you haven't already. Estrogen dominance has about 40 symptoms of it and hypoglycemia is one of them.

Try to get Dr. John Lee's book "What your doctor may not tell you about menopause" and there's one on premenopause also. It's a woman's bible for menopause. Hang in there and keep in touch with the many wonderful and helpful women on these boards.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Roseyjim,

You're defintely not alone! I too am 52 still having periods and suffering every single symptom of meno. Some things that help me are Estroven extra strength daily (it also has the black cohosh in it for the hot flashes), it's kind of like a multi vitamin with soy and the cohosh. For the anxiety, I swear by the L-theanine. I call it my happy pill and I have to have it everyday. I take 200 mgs daily. If you buy some, make sure you get the Suntheanine version it's the only one lab tested for proven anxiety relief. Hair thinning - oh my gosh!! I swear I am almost bald!!! I have long hair and it has become so thin it's crazy!! Also had my thyroid checked out and everythings okay. I am with you, hair extensions for my Christmas present to myself!!! Heart palps - very scary and have them to. For sleep, well I have increased my Cabernet Sauvignon from 1 to 2 glasses prior to bed!!! Heck, what can I say? I have to sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't feel alone, we are all hear listening and helping each other.

Take care my friend,
Missy

Old 12-06-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
(female)

roseyjim HB User

lol Missy, I have my little bottles of white wine in my fridge and warned my grown daughters of the wrath of Rosey if they are touched!!!
thank you for your feedback, I'm going to look at the suggestions, I appreciate all the feedback, I guess I felt like I was alone cause everyone around me doesn't seem to have the whole nine yards of symptoms like I do or at least they're not saying but I knew I couldn't be the only woman that has this curse and I do mean curse! I'll stay in touch and I'm going to try to lay the coffee cause I am a big coffee drinker. With this last blood work in November I think my vitamin levels were ok cause I asked my doctor to check out my blood work. ok ladies Onward, that's all we can do right...

Old 12-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
(female)

roseyjim HB User
Cool Re: Don't know where to start

ok have to give the thumbs up to the L-theanine, wow it's like a chill feeling but not drowsy or anything, I was pleasantly surprised. Thanks for that tip

Old 12-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
(female)

roseyjim HB User

I'll try next the zinc supplements for my hair, hey at this point what's there to lose-my hair!!! hey ladies I will say this, keep your sense of humor otherwise this stuff will drive you crazy

Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

missy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB Usermissy222 HB User

Hi Rosey,

Glad to hear the L-theanine worked for you. If you are going to try the zinc supplement be careful not to overdue it. Actually too much zinc can cause more hair loss. I think I am going to try taking in more foods that contain zinc and see if it helps.

Hang in there,
Missy

Closed Thread